GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 5 sets of J&M headsets and only two or working, these or new this year. I called and they say that if the headset or the parts that mount to the helmet, mic and wires to speakers or not repairable. They claim that they have no parts for them. So that tells me they don't do repair work. If it's under warranty they'll replace them but if not your out of luck. I will not buy any more of there headsets. Can anyone tell me if there or any other brands available that will work with the wing or is there some one who can repair them. J&M says I can mail them in and they will check them out, but if they need to be repaired I'm out of luck. One the mic does not work one of the others the wire coming from helmet clamp to ear pieces or broken inside the insulation. I can get the ear pieces to work if I move the wires around. This shows me that they us very poor quality wire as these do not get moved around much.

P.S Between my two brothers and I we have 9 headsets I have two that or new and work. One brother has one that works as does the other brother. So five of the 9 we own or junk. I don't know how old they or.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
After going through four cords where one of the pins would break in the helmet connector at $40 a pop. I machined a connector housing and put a DIN connector between it and the bike cord so I could repair them myself. They were unsympathetic to my problems too. There answer was buy another cord.

After getting tired with repairing connectors before trips, I tossed both sets in the trash and replaced them with EdSets.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

I own three J&M headset's, all of them have problems. My wife's helmet, with only 4,000 miles on it, just started malfunctioning this weekend. I'm ready to try Edsets.

What Edset would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I got the 3GFULL and put one in my full face and one in my wife's N103. Went that route so both would be the same.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
There sure was a long line at Wing Ding to get cords replaced and alot of dissappointed customers. I think they must of shipped their plant to China.:22yikes:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Grog ,,,,,

the ONLY time we are not able to repair a J&M headset, is if the age of the headset is more than about 13 years since date of manufacture ,,,,,

otherwise we can repair/replace most anything that is wrong ,,,,, whether it is in or out of warranty ,,,,

if you did not have an idea of the age of your headsets, when you called the J&M factory, that is probably why they could not give you a firm answer to your repair question ,,,,

Wild Turkey ,,,,,

yes sir ,,, we helped a whole lot of folks at Wing Ding ,,,,, and BTW, after completing my survey when the show was over, 86% of the headsets/cords we repaired at Wing Ding, from those very patient folks standing in that line, were more than 5 years old, and J&M did NOT charge for most of those repairs ,,, and J&M did NOT charge anything for the labor to remove the headset from the helmet or reinstall it ,,,,,

most riders are very grateful that we are there to help them troubleshoot problems and get them back on the road ,,,,, that is one of the services we provide at Wing Ding and we have been doing that for many years ,,,,,

NO ONE else in this industry offers the type of customer service that J&M does, day after day, year after year ,,,,,

connection cords have ALWAYS been an issue for EVERY headset manufacturer that has ever come down the pike, during the entire 34 years we have been doing this ,,,,,

that is why J&M offers various grades of these cords, depending directly upon the price ,,,,, and you DO get what you pay for ,,,,

our z-series cords are molded in Japan and are the most durable we offer, giving most riders 5-10 years of dependable service on their Wing ,,,,,

our p-series & j-series cords are made in China, they are much less expensive, but they are NOT going to be as durable as the z-series,,, giving the average rider, 2-3 years of service, depending upon how they are used and taken care of ,,,,,

for the environment that these cords are used in ,,,,, I believe this is quite reasonable ,,,,,,

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
My compliments to John for responding so quickly and directly. No matter what the product; someone will always complain. More rare is the satisfied consumer that openly brags about the product or service they purchased. Product, service, and competition keeps businesses open or closed. Most business owners know this and try to stay open and make a profit. Thanks J&M for your products that I've purchased and used for over 20 years.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
My compliments to John for responding so quickly and directly. No matter what the product; someone will always complain. More rare is the satisfied consumer that openly brags about the product or service they purchased. Product, service, and competition keeps businesses open or closed. Most business owners know this and try to stay open and make a profit. Thanks J&M for your products that I've purchased and used for over 20 years.

+1 on JM service after the sale.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I know a couple guys, that if you give them a hammer and two ball bearings, they will lose one of the ball bearings and break the hammer chasing the other ball bearing. :excited::tongue::cool::lol:

I have several sets of the J and M headsets, work well for me, I only had trouble with them one time , I could not hear anything, and discovered I had turned the volume control all the way down.

Darn headsets I could not hear a thing. :lol:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the day I posted on here and was told that if it was more than two years old they had no parts to repair them. Now you say you have parts who is right the person I talked to on phone or you. :shrug:

·
Registered
911 Posts
my 2 cents...arrived at Americade a few years ago and my mic stopped working...went by the J&M trailer and mentioned the problem...someone took my helmet into the trailer and 10 min later my headset was fixed with NO charge....no complaints here....and my J&M mp3 player works great....ride safe....

Scott

·
Registered
282 Posts
J&M Service record is great

I would like to say that Helmet Headset cords are probably the most stressed items on a motorcycle. I can tell you that, for me, J&M went above and beyond the call of good buisness to replace a flip-face helmet speaker system when I was visiting thier factory in Tucson a couple of months ago. I had purchased a Nolan N-103 at Wing Ding in Des Moines from another dealer and was having problems with my mic clearance between my mouth and the inside of the N-103 flip face. The new N103 was redesigned with less clearance or my head got bigger. Regardless, it was too tight. I purchased a new Scorpion flip face Helmet from J&M which had better clearance. Needless to say I asked them if they could transfer my J&M headset from my Nolan helmet to my new Scorpion. They did one better, they installed another J&M helmet headset on my Scorpion helmet and was not charged for the install or the new headset. To me that is customer service above and beyond the call of good business!

I hope people understand the commitment J&M has demonstrated to our rider community in general and specifically to thier customers.

Thanks J&M :cool:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Like they're gonna go tell you to piss-off at a trade show. :roll:

Feel your pain Grog...

·
Registered
129 Posts
JM

We use the SENA bluetooth headsets & have been good so far, I don't use the CB so that works well for us.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would like to say that Helmet Headset cords are probably the most stressed items on a motorcycle. I can tell you that, for me, J&M went above and beyond the call of good buisness to replace a flip-face helmet speaker system when I was visiting thier factory in Tucson a couple of months ago. I had purchased a Nolan N-103 at Wing Ding in Des Moines from another dealer and was having problems with my mic clearance between my mouth and the inside of the N-103 flip face. The new N103 was redesigned with less clearance or my head got bigger. Regardless, it was too tight. I purchased a new Scorpion flip face Helmet from J&M which had better clearance. Needless to say I asked them if they could transfer my J&M headset from my Nolan helmet to my new Scorpion. They did one better, they installed another J&M helmet headset on my Scorpion helmet and was not charged for the install or the new headset. To me that is customer service above and beyond the call of good business!

I hope people understand the commitment J&M has demonstrated to our rider community in general and specifically to thier customers.

Thanks J&M :cool:
I also have a N-103 Nolan (new this summer had headset installed by Wingstuff) it's yellow like bike not a prefect match but close. I to find the mic does not fit inside the helmet not enough room between face and helmet. I find that putting mic under my chin works just fine. :coffee1:

·
Registered
205 Posts
J&M has just made our Blu<>Hub dongle06 for the Gold Wing, even better.

The new Blu<>Hub dongle06 features dual remote mounted 2.4ghz antennas, to better optimize the signal link between the driver & passenger J&M Bluetooth headsets. ((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JBLU-BHDG06&PF=30 ,,,,

J&M's wireless headsets ad Blu<>Hub system for the Gold Wing, is the ONLY wireless headset system for the Wing, that has NO delay on the intercom, offers helmet speaker volume and fidelity as good as J&M corded headsets, and works just like a corded headset over the Honda CB radio ,,,

it IS still too darned expensive, but if you want a wireless headset system for your Honda GL-1800/1500, that is easy to install and WORKS, J&M's is the one ,,,

video on the system at:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts