GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime Honda rider and owner of 2 precious generation GL’s. Demoed the new model for the first time yesterday and was underwhelmed. Have not ridden anything in 15 months due to health issues. I have heard from countless people that the DCT was a revelation and a game changer and so amazing and once you try you will never turn back. To me I found it disappointing in the way that it insulated me from the experience of riding as I know it. I missed being able to control the shifting as I accelerated from a stop. My sales guy said it just takes time. Any comments or personal stories of one’s own experience?

I know the manual transmission is also an option.

Am also considering middle weight adventure bikes, or a bmw 1250 GS.

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Nothing wrong with not following us sheep. I could be very happy with the manual. I do like the dual clutch programmed shift.

prs

Reactions: Waterloojay

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Your sales guy is right......the DCT does take time to get used to.
Once you do it's amazing IMHO.

I've driven manual bikes for 45-years and it took time and a couple of long test rides to even consider it, even then I was a bit concerned.
But, that all went away after a couple of good rides on my new '19 DCT Tour AB.

No looking back at this point......love it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
What a curious request. What personal stories or comments of others could possibly sway your underwhelming experience?

Buy what makes you smile. If you love the fine art of clutching and shifting, then buy a manual transmission.

I bought the DCT after 40 years of motorcycling with manual transmissions and love it. I also love shifting, so I bought a manual transmission car after 30 years of driving automatics.

If you have to ask other people's opinions after you've test ridden the DCT and found you were not impressed, then it's not for you.

Respectfully, I can tell you how much I and millions of people love sushi, but if you don't like raw fish, nothing we say will change your mind.

Tim

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Meh. If you don't like it, don't buy it. FIXT!!

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
998 Posts
Longtime Honda rider and owner of 2 precious generation GL’s. Demoed the new model for the first time yesterday and was underwhelmed. Have not ridden anything in 15 months due to health issues. I have heard from countless people that the DCT was a revelation and a game changer and so amazing and once you try you will never turn back. To me I found it disappointing in the way that it insulated me from the experience of riding as I know it. I missed being able to control the shifting as I accelerated from a stop. My sales guy said it just takes time. Any comments or personal stories of one’s own experience?

I know the manual transmission is also an option.

Am also considering middle weight adventure bikes, or a bmw 1250 GS.

Thanks for your thoughts!
The Gold Wing DCT is as close as a motorcycle can get to being a two wheeled automatic transmission sports car. It is a comfortable and easy to drive motorcycle, however, it can get to feeling like a boring rolling easy-chair.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on my 2019 DCT and I wish my other bikes had a DCT and all the bikes I buy in the future were DCT, that's how much I like the DCT. At first it was just nice, but I have found the acceleration is quick, fast, easy, and fun. Hitting the curves is fun when I never have to think about shifting and can concentrate on the ride. You can shift any time you want and easily, just use the paddles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you buy the DCT because you are looking for a smooth, comfortable automatic ride, IMHO you miss the point and the beauty/flexibility of this bike. A while back a poster mentioned that he didn't bother with switching riding modes, in fact always rode it in tour mode, hardly ever having used sport mode. Why limit yourself? The beauty of this bike is that it gives options to different riders wishing different performance characteristics. The ability to switch to sport mode for aggressive twisties as well as switch to rain mode for limited torque to rear wheel to prevent slipping and sliding is wonderful to have. Today four of us went on a ride in the twisties up a river canyon with corners from 25 to 45 MPH. The sport mode was perfect to accelerate between corners then release to allow aggressive engine braking. Even with all that I constantly used the upshift and downshift paddles in anticipation of slowing or long straightaways. During daily riding in Tour mode I constantly use the paddles to manually override the Tour mode shift points, mainly anticipatory slowing for intersections and curves. I now have 13K miles on my 2018. After riding my 2007 Wing for 8 years I thought that there would not be all that much difference, but the fun factor increased dramatically for me. I can't wait to get on the bike and take another ride. HANG ON, WE'RE GOING FOR A RIDE!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I love my DCT. The more I ride the more I love. Finally experienced the sport mode on some curvy roads. WOW. I also enjoy zipping from stop light to stop light but on the DCT I can do it with one hand. I like vanilla ice cream and not chocolate so I’m glad they make both flavors.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
By the way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking the manual transmission bike. I have another bike with a manual trans, and I enjoy riding it and shifting manually. It's a totally different feel from the DCT, and I like it. I like the DCT too, but I agree with you that the manual transmission makes you feel more involved in the riding experience. There is nothing wrong with choosing a manual. Get what you like.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Get whatever floats YOUR boat and not what FLOATS others....don't over complicate your decision/choices....and enjoy the ride no matter what someone else likes or dislikes.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
...To me I found it disappointing in the way that it insulated me from the experience of riding as I know it. I missed being able to control the shifting as I accelerated from a stop...
As stated the DCT isn't for everyone, indeed the new bike doesn't appeal to everyone... after evaluating it I decided to keep my 2008. And, there are plenty of folks who would say that the "experience of riding" is missed just riding a Goldwing... ANY Goldwing.

I have a friend who has a HD sportster and a Trumph something, 700 cc bike... he states he can't imagine ever having a GW. He's ridden mine, but finds it just too big and comfy cruiser...

Many HD owners don't see a GW as a "real" bike... doesn't rumble rumble... heard them refer the new DCT GW as just a fancy scooter...

And, I have a CBR 1000 RR ... and riding the GW is not like riding it...

The Experience of Riding... if there were only one experience, there would be only one bike made... and at one time there was, the UJM (universal Japanese motorcycle), the CB750 and those essentially like it. I have a CB1100, essentially this bike. But, I'm glad they make other bikes now... there are other experiences to have... :wink2:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah, I used to ride a Harley. Now I ride a DCT Tour. I don't feel insulated from my riding experience as I know it. Obviously, my riding is different than others. Me and a buddy did just over 6 hours in the saddle today in all conditions - city, highway, mountain twisties, but nothing off-road. He rides a Yamaha FJR. I ride the '18 'Wing DCT Tour. We both like to ride. The DCT performed flawlessly today in all those conditions. I had the occasion to use the paddle shifters in the twisties and was able to lay off things and just ride in the cities and on the highways. I like having options and the DCT offers me what I like. I hope I don't come off as being prejudiced against manual transmissions because I'm not. I just happen to really prefer the DCT style now. Here's hoping you find your Happy Place.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I was sure I'd like it.

I didn't test ride.

On the way home, I thought '^$%&*' I've made an expensive mistake.

Now, I'm fully in the DCT camp.
My experience as well. For the first couple of hours on the road, I wondered the same thing. I did a fly and ride and by the end of the second day on the road, I knew I had made the right call. Now after about 5K miles and having learned to fully utilize the different modes and and keeping the bike in manual 98% of the time, I would never go back.

But that is just me...... Like others have said, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it! Get your GS.....I’ve had several of those over the years and loved every one.

Life is full of choices.....:grin2:

·
Registered
930 Posts
After riding for over 40 years, this bike with a DCT transmission is great.
The only thing I have a learning curve on is riding the twisties, I have to put it in Manual Mode so the bike is not shifting at what I would consider the wrong time.
Most of the time just riding to work or wherever I go, it shifts nice and I don't have to worry about it.
I have noticed that the engine does make a little more noise than the non DCT model.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts