GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basic disaster the bike is permanently frozen trying to read USB disk image.
I'm reasonably skilled at computers. Nearly brand-new Hewlett-Packard top-of-the-line laptop.
Carefully followed all the directions
long format of the reasonably new 32 GB USB drive. Nice and clean
NTFS format.
Disk image appears to be complete download.
Transfer to thumb drive.
Bike cannot read the thumb drive. "Please wait RECOGNIZE USB disk"
After sitting there for 20 minutes with no movement to the files downloading screen.
I pulled the thumb drive decided to go re-download
so of course the new error.
It could not read the 2nd clean USB drive permanently stuck in PLEASE WAIT RECOGNIZE USB DISK again I sat on the bike for about 30 minutes permanently locked no activity.
Turned the bike off.
I cannot find any directions for a hard reboot to try again and start over.
But it looks like the bike will at least start with the error screen still showing, but the transmission DCT shows clutch errors,
so basically I think the bike is undrivable. My nearest dealers like 30 miles away

I sat on the bike and listened to music for 20 minutes with this message showing.

Finally turned the bike off, turned it back on, same message, when I pull the thumb drive to go re-download this error shows. This error goes away when I plug the new 2nd USB and goes back to the old screen please wait

This is the file downloaded it 5 times in the 5 different directories so it seems to download identically.

help

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Remove the negative battery cable, then reconnect. See if that "reboots" the bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What remoandiris said - but I should add to leave the battery disconnected for a few minutes to allow time for any capacitors in the circuits to discharge to ensure power is completely removed from the computer

·
Banned
435 Posts
Is that SWDL.ISO file in the ROOT of the USB stick? The screenshot is cut off, but it looks like it may be in some sub-directories?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is that SWDL.ISO file in the ROOT of the USB stick? The screenshot is cut off, but it looks like it may be in some sub-directories?
Bingo! Hope disconnecting the battery resets the bike, then place the ISO file in the thumb drive root directory...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I cleaned the USB drive, absolutely no other files no other directories, I use the long formatting process it took 30 minutes to completely format every sector of the drive, which I think means it's in the root.
I'm heading down to disconnect the battery right now. Thanks so far.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes I cleaned the USB drive, absolutely no other files no other directories, I use the long formatting process it took 30 minutes to completely format every sector of the drive, which I think means it's in the root.
I'm heading down to disconnect the battery right now. Thanks so far. View attachment 372409
Format NTFS for Windows, and your screenshot shows the swdl.iso file in the root directory!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disconnecting the battery did not work, same window screen

USB SWDL mode... Please wait recognize USB disk.

Permanent fixture. Once it generates an error code it seems like it should release back to a stable starting point again.
But no it's permanently trying to read the USB input.
I'm getting 3rd USB stick reformatting it from scratch, scratch download.

There must be some button pushing to get to a reset the default program reinitialized.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Under the what it's worth, on last update my bike didn't like a 32g USB. Got a 16 out if a camera, formatted and had success. Used the same USB this time, worked fine.

Reactions: Dr. Anthony Stark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
American tenacity, just keep pushing.

I have an older patriot XT 32 GB thumb drive perhaps 4 years old. Number 3 attempt.
NTFS long format, that checks for errors, I did not use the quick format, checkbox, quick format just marks everything for deletion only takes 5 seconds.

My strategy this time was to download SWDL from the Honda website directly on to the USB drive.
Eliminate the middleman, downloading to the computer then transferring to the USB seemed like there was some sort of transfer error possibly.

The XT was much faster as well, data quickly went to the thumb drive. I went to properties and did a quick scan for any errors it says no errors found on this drive.

Back down to the bike plugged in the XT.
Turned the bike on...
This time about 5 seconds of USB swaddle mode. Immediately started downloading files.
I been watching it for about 20 minutes now. Left the key fob in the compartment as well.
Success

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't believe how difficult that was, I started downloading the file Friday, got an error message 2 or 3 different times download fails. Switched browsers cleaned the cache, finally started getting some clean downloads.
Then the files stopped in the midstream transferring to the thumb drive error after error.
Finally got some clean thumb drive. Which got me thinking why bother putting it on the hard drive why not just put it directly on the thumb drive.

Clearly the bike is very sensitive to reading the data off of the type of thumb drive apparently 2 of the thumb drives are unreadable. Finally hit upon third thumb drive that the bike was able to read. That only took me about 48 hours of constant effort. Loss of riding time:mad::eek:
but I'm happy that I figured it out drove the bike around the block just to make sure all of the modes are working, nice four-color map.:love::cool:

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Glad you gott'er working Doc.

For the record, it will work even if there are other files on the thumb drive with the swdl.iso file.

And it can be a usb 2 or a usb 3. Takes the bike the same amount of time with either.
The only time saving would be loading the file to the usb -- if the computer used can take advantage of the 3.
Something like 2.5 minutes vs 10 minutes with my win10 machine.
Bike upload about 30-35 with either.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Everyone needs to be aware that there are a lot of counterfeit memory chips on the market. They might even show up as 32GB on your computer, but in reality, they may only store 8GB. A google search will find more info on counterfeit chips. Supposedly, there are programs that can check the chips, but formatting the chips doesn’t necessarily find them.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Everyone needs to be aware that there are a lot of counterfeit memory chips on the market. They might even show up as 32GB on your computer, but in reality, they may only store 8GB. A google search will find more info on counterfeit chips. Supposedly, there are programs that can check the chips, but formatting the chips doesn’t necessarily find them.
Does windows file explorer 'properties' function show the real size or have they managed to trick it as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you gott'er working Doc.

For the record, it will work even if there are other files on the thumb drive with the swdl.iso file.

And it can be a usb 2 or a usb 3. Takes the bike the same amount of time with either.
The only time saving would be loading the file to the usb -- if the computer used can take advantage of the 3.
Something like 2.5 minutes vs 10 minutes with my win10 machine.
Bike upload about 30-35 with either.
I've definitely learned over the years the faster file transfers seem to have fewer errors, fewer download failed or download timed out errors. Even though IT experts say... Computer hardware and software never fails it's always the user. So that was my mistake the 2.0 is like asking an 80-year-old man to dig a ditch. It might get done.

It took nearly 45minutes to download the file, to the 2.0 stick, took something like 12 minutes to download to my 3.0.
Somehow I knew the file was going to be good this time. I was shocked when the motorcycle responded perfectly to the final 3.0 thumb drive. About 35 minutes for the motorcycle to win successfully update.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts