GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "glove compartment" lids on my '06 GL1800 are taking on a "whitish" color. Anyone know how to cure this ailment? Would like to get thme back to like new (or at least black). Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, George. I've never seen this product. Where do you buy yours? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
#303 is an excellent product. I see it at boat dealerships. There are other good plastic cleaners and protectants available through auto parts chains. I find that application when the surface is warm helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
303 is a great product. I use it and it will help with your discoloration.You're struggling with an issue that's frustrated me for years. What I've found is once your black plastic trim has gone white, it cannot be turned back to black. Apparently most automotive waxes cause this "whiting" on black or dark automotive plastic pieces.Some companies sell products which they claim will "clean" this wax residue from the plastic and restore the black. I've invested in several of these and have never found anything which permanently restores the piece to black. There are a number of things, 303 is one, which makes it look good for a while, but they require continual reapplication to keep on top of things.I've also had waxes discolor or haze clear headlight lens on some vehicles.Good luck with your problem.If anyone has found a permanent solution, please let us know!Cheers...

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Griot's Garage has an excellent, easy to use product to remove wax build-up. Several companies supply excellent products to polish/refresh vinyl trim with Zymol's being the best, IMO. Stay away from Armorall [sticky] and products containing silicone.

303 is a great product. I use it and it will help with your discoloration.You're struggling with an issue that's frustrated me for years. What I've found is once your black plastic trim has gone white, it cannot be turned back to black. Apparently most automotive waxes cause this "whiting" on black or dark automotive plastic pieces.Some companies sell products which they claim will "clean" this wax residue from the plastic and restore the black. I've invested in several of these and have never found anything which permanently restores the piece to black. There are a number of things, 303 is one, which makes it look good for a while, but they require continual reapplication to keep on top of things.I've also had waxes discolor or haze clear headlight lens on some vehicles.Good luck with your problem.If anyone has found a permanent solution, please let us know!Cheers...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Griot's Garage has an excellent, easy to use product to remove wax build-up. Several companies supply excellent products to polish/refresh vinyl trim with Zymol's being the best, IMO. Stay away from Armorall [sticky] and products containing silicone.

I've used Griot's. They make excellent products and their remover is slightly better than some of the others but doesn't reverse the problem from my experience. Will remove wax residue from black rubber but this isn't the same thing as what occurs on the plastic.

Haven't tried Zymol's product but admit it has some good reviews.

We're in total agreement with Armorall and it's clones... nasty stuff.

I'm not convinced this is a "wax buildup". I believe the wax chemistry actually degrades the surface of the plastic. I've read this is the case... but frankly, one can read just about anything on the web..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts