GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually stick a small screwdriver between a hose and its connector to get the hose off. However that usually results in some damage to the hose. Has anyone got any tips/tricks for doing this without damaging the hose? Right now I'm disconnecting fuel hoses and earlier I disconnected radiator hoses.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I usually stick a small screwdriver between a hose and its connector to get the hose off. However that usually results in some damage to the hose. Has anyone got any tips/tricks for doing this without damaging the hose? Right now I'm disconnecting fuel hoses and earlier I disconnected radiator hoses.
> Buy a pair of needle-nose pliers that have Curved Jaws... they easily grip onto a hose, allowing you to first Twist the hose (and break the friction) prior to being pulled off, more easily than before.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Alex. Here's what I did:

Harbor Freight sells this four piece pick and hook set:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/precision-hand-tools/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

I used the hook with the 90 degree bend on the end and shoved it between the hose and the nozzle. I then squirted some WD40 in between and began working it with the hook. It came loose with no damage.
+1 Atta-Boy! My method to the T. Just a matter of getting between the fitting and the hose and working around some lubricate to break it loose & help slide it off. I also bent a short 90 on a pocket screwdriver for the tight spots when I want to make sure I don't impale the hose with the pick. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts