Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Never had a problem with my display screen

Votes: 6 40.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the third time I have had some pixels blow on our 2008 Airbag model display. The first two times the blown pixels were worse than this time. The good news is that the first two times I got the display replaced under warranty. However during the second display replacement they did not transfer the odometer miles (so I guess that means a new bike...right?).

I have a few questions for both the 5th generation and 6th generation crowd. First off, please participate in the poll. Also do you know what might have caused damage to your display. Out of the three times I have had a problem I only know why the pixels died once because I was yanking fuses and engaging the power while I was tracking an anti-lock break modulator (which I also had repaired under warranty just in time). Next thing I knew I had one row of blown pixels from one side of the screen to the other. My first blown pixel incident was the worst because there was a random pattern of almost a square inch of blown pixels. The attached picture is the least offensive and it is unlikely that I will pay my own money unless it gets much worse (note, blown pictures are two different half rows, both on the right side of the screen).

Is this because of something I may be doing wrong? Is there places I should not go with our Wing? I work on a military installation; is it possible that there is some sort of directed energy, laser or other source that might cause this? Is forcing the display go over to the map each time good, bad or no difference? (I would think that having the map keep changing would mean less screen pattern burn, but I could be wrong).

Ironically it is worst at night but when the display is in bright light the blown pixels are unnoticeable (note, picture taken just before sunrise).

I guess other than being annoying there is a possibility that I could be using the map and think that I'm about to approach a street that is instead just blown pixels.

So when we move to a sixth generation is there any good habits we should engage for good screen health?

Thanks in advance for your wise advise, mlb

Attachments

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Like you, I’ve had two displays fail various pixels. Again like you they were both replaced under the original and then the Honda extended warranty. If/when it fails again I will probably replace it with one of the following SHARP Part Numbers: LQ065T9BR52U, LQ065T9BR53U, LQ065T9BR54U, or LQ065T9BR55U which also fit BMW E53 E46 X5 and T5 cars. I keep a search on eBay for when that time comes. Figure about $100 to $200 for a new screen.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Like you, I’ve had two displays fail various pixels. Again like you they were both replaced under the original and then the Honda extended warranty. If/when it fails again I will probably replace it with one of the following SHARP Part Numbers: LQ065T9BR52U, LQ065T9BR53U, LQ065T9BR54U, or LQ065T9BR55U which also fit BMW E53 E46 X5 and T5 cars. I keep a search on eBay for when that time comes. Figure about $100 to $200 for a new screen.
Those displays are NOT compatible. The correct one is the 55U. The 54U will fry the control board unless you disable PIN 19.

·
IronMan
18,480 Posts
Those displays are NOT compatible. The correct one is the 55U. The 54U will fry the control board unless you disable PIN 19.

WOW ! DONT NEED THAT . THANKS FOR SHARING INFO !!

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
233 Posts
The display on my 2007 started losing pixels in about 10 years and a little less than 100,000 miles. I also work on a military base. I thought maybe it was the Arizona sun that caused it. I replaced the screen and started covering the bike when at work and haven't had a problem since. In my opinion it is time and weather conditions that cause it to go bad.
I did a search on this forum and found a guy that replaced his. He had pics and explained the process very well. He also gave the address of a place in China to get the proper replacement. It took me about 4 hours and wasn't hard at all. I will do a little research and post the link.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My previous 2005 had pixels damaged, not enough to make any display reading illegible.

My current 2007 Nav have damaged pixels, not enough to keep my from using any of the display functions and making it illegible.

Unless it becomes useless, I'm leaving it as is, heard too many issues with replacement displays.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
The one on my 2006 started going bad the seventh year so I had it replaced under warranty. It's still good today.

I have to think the drastic shifts in temperature have an effect on LCD screens. I remember reading here where heat was suspected because the heat sink didn't seem to be very efficient.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who answered and who voted. Nice to know there are options other than Honda OEM screens but buyer beware.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Interesting. As a search for LQ065T9BR55U brings up the others as suitable substitutes. I'd guess that they're suitable, but only for BMW's.
What is/which pin is, Pin 19? Can you provide a picture?

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Interesting. As a search for LQ065T9BR55U brings up the others as suitable substitutes. I'd guess that they're suitable, but only for BMW's.
What is/which pin is, Pin 19? Can you provide a picture?
Read the link I posted. Lots of good info and pics.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Hopefully the attached images will help those who get the incorrect "54U" circuit board to delete/disable/insulate Pin # 19 for the Ribbon Cable that attaches the Circuit Board to the LCD Display. Apparently a 54U" circuit board Ribbon Cable, when so modified, will allow/cause it to function as the correct "55U" Part Number circuit board.
FWIW: If you pay close attention to what is sold on Alibaba as a "55U" circuit board, you will notice that the image they display is marked as a "54U" circuit board.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

Circuit component Green Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

Wood Rectangle Font Office ruler Paper

Rectangle Font Material property Tints and shades Handwriting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts