GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was giving my girl some love today and investigating a sticking intercom button when things went bad! After removing all necessary items to service the air filter i removed the audio unit to clean and inspect it for my button issue. After disassembling and cleaning all dust and debris in the button side of the unit I found that the rubber detent for my intercom button is loosing its spring. I fashioned a little support shim from plastic to see if this would help short term and reassembled the unit. So i then proceeded to install my new air filter and reinstall all components and reconnected all plugs and this brings us to 6 hrs ago... Bike starts and runs fine, audio turns on, volume works, station changes, all sounds good. But I have nothing on the LCD display, no clock, and the spring adjuster is inop. So using the factory manual and any remotely related topic from here I have come to my brothers for different views and help with my issue. I was unable to find any diag for the display unit in the service manual except for a reference in the stereo section from "test D" that said I should "Refer to the service manual for the gauge panel diagnostics" a section I was frustratingly unable to find! I have power from all the right places from the schematic on page 2-4 of the ETM section of the manual, Checked some grounds and then did it 7 more times to finally need to walk away for now and seek a fresh view another day.

Question and food for thought besides the obvious, 1. Is there a supplement manual just for the gauge panel? 2. Is there any testers for the LCD/gauge cluster or Audio unit at the dealer? When I was cleaning the button control side of the audio unit during reassembly I discovered that the bit I had been using to remove the screws from the the cover and the housing was a magnetized one, To my best recollection it never touched the circuit board, but its just been eating at me that it could have caused a problem, especially since I have yet to find any way of testing either unit independently. Thanks in advance for any and all help with this one, now its time for half a bottle of Advil and some sleep.

RR

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Until someone with more knowledge than me chimes in (which is about anyone else) a couple of items.

1st is what model year of bike, makes a difference regarding connectors.

2nd is it sounds like you did what I've done before, forget to hook up the connector that goes to the display, or not get it fully seated.

Magnetized screwdriver, unless you've got one that can lift your toolbox, won't hurt the board unless you drag the tip across a trace or component and physically break it, or have the board energized and drag it across something and short it. Which in either case is not a problem with using a magnetized screwdriver.

Pull the lid and check your connectors.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well the way you explained it , you are no dummy. :lol:
The intercom button is a separate issue, they would have nothing to do with the display.

I am too lazy to go pull the manual and trace the circuit, but the pin plug, the one that provides power to the screen is the culprit. It is either not making contact like it should or a internal pin in the connector has gotten bent, pushed or something.

In any event with everything else working, that rules out many things and points directly to that pin connector.

It is always without fail one of those damm connectors. Everything works before you take it apart, does not later. Always a connector. Well most of the time.

The audio unit and the magnetic tip, might, could be, but that would be the audio unit and that works......so a connector.

Figure out which wire provides the power to the display, test around it, see what you have. Make a set of tester leads that will fit into the ends of the connector if need be, file them down so you can stuff them into the connector. In really difficult places I use needles, stick a needle through the wire and test with a tester.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
My ETM is a later addition, so my pages are different numbers. You should have battery voltage on the red/yellow wire, C8 of the gauge connector and the brown/white wire, C6 of the gauge connector. Do your other lights come on, neutral, FI, high beam indicators? The magnetic tip didn't do anything. The dealer has no way of testing the gauges or the audio unit except for plugging them into a working wing. If they did, they wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

PS. the red/yellow wire is hot all the time, but the brown/white is hot only with the key in "ON"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for diving in with me gentlemen! First off for ssncob sorry its an '04 (listed in my signature), and my bike currently looks like a tornado ripped everything off the top side of my bike except for the trunk. I have all electrical items plugged in without any faring in the way, its ugly! Thanks for the tips gonna try to get back to them Monday night.

All the instrumentation works turn signals, high beam lights, neutral lights, just the LCD display is blank, sure wish Honda gave a better description and operation of where and what signals went in and out of this display. When i gather more info I will report, one way or another this post will be completed with a happy ending, a perfect operating motorcycle once again and a finished informative thread with an answer!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the worst has happened......Thanks to a day of introspection and you fellas tips i had found a section in the manual i was blowing by, it helped me in checking some of the circuits i had questions about. But now the real problem after the last wire testing round, everything back plugged in, even going over connectors in that area that weren't unplugged but got disturbed
my display and suspension are back on line! Its tough to be happy as I always hate it when electric connections "fix" themselves. So after wiggling and tugging and jostling all the plugs again I couldn't make anything flicker or go out again. Going to go back over all connections and clean and lube them, also some of the others in the area I learned were problematic from searching here on the board. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know when I get it back together once again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
lcd display

Check out all the buttons on the radio. One of them is sticking which will turn off the display! Ask me how I know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts