GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered if it would be OK to have both my Canadian Flag and American flag on my antenna's? I though it would be respectful when travelling in USA?

I don't want to offend anyone! Is this a good gesture?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You can fly both as long as they are on different poles so they are at the same height. Flying one below the other would show disrespect for the lower one.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.
When on display, the flag is accorded the place of honor, always positioned to its own right. Other flags should be to the left. (On the right side antenna, sitting on the bike.)

·
Banned
350 Posts
Here come the flag police...I fly it like I want without regard for the flag freaks.

Actually you should fly Canada's a little higher to signify its superior currency, superior credit rating, just nice folks.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:popcorn: I fly two flags....one playboy (or should it be playgirl...?) right side up....and a playboy right side down...one on top of each other.....:22yikes:...No boby messes with me....

:popcorn: I will watch for the rebutals on this one.

On a serious note...I fly the american on the right side and the canadian flag on the left side...same size same height....it works for me....

Safe Rides

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Here come the flag police...I fly it like I want without regard for the flag freaks.

Actually you should fly Canada's a little higher to signify its superior currency, superior credit rating, just nice folks.
Not only the reply of a jerk but, according to your sig line, you seem to have a serious ego problem as well (or you "stretch" the truth)!!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Mr. Cooper you just may get your wish. You may well end up being a flag one of these days. I am sure there are several here who would be glad to introduce you to a well placed flag pole.

·
Registered
297 Posts
flag him

Thank you canuck, for asking the question, your respect for others is terrific :thumbup:
And coop, just keep being you, it makes the rest of us look almost as good as the canucks! :congrats:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

Twins?

·
Banned
939 Posts
I think bikes are more like ships/boats than stationary land objects.

Thus I think nautical rules should apply to the Wing.
See this link. Under courtesy flags
http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#honoring-o-n-flags

For you guys that are insisting on stationary land etiquette, do you shine a light with the soul purpose of illuminateing the flag if you fly the colors after dark?

If the OP was from the Yukon I would say do whatever you want.

But since he is not I think go with nautical rules.

I personally think only local and state flags should fly on bikes. However, that is just my opinion. Unless they are involved in a federal parade. But for you guys that like to fly national colors I think you should follow nautical traditions.

Or create bike specify and a new set of rules just for bikes. There already may be such a thing and if there is my bad please link it.

In the meantime I do not think stationary land based etiquette does or should apply.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Here is how it is done at sea:

Traditionally, three flags have been considered essential to mark a vessel's identity.* A vessel always displays the national ensign (country), the yacht club burgee (fleet), and a private signal (master).* An officer flag was displayed in lieu of a private signal. Today, boaters generally attempt to fly too many flags. They fly flags just because they have them. With the exception of dressing ship, flags should not be used as decorations or as a resume. Flags should be used to convey something specific about your boat or its personnel, whether it be nationality, maneuvering situation, club affiliation, office held, or any number of other things.

Courtesy Flags
When you visit foreign water, your boat should display a courtesy flag (the civil ensign of the country you are visiting) whenever your U.S. national ensign (the USPS ensign or the yacht ensign should not be displayed in foreign waters) is displayed. (The USPS ensign and U.S. yacht ensign should not be worn in foreign waters)
If your vessel is mastless, it should wear this "courtesy flag" at the bow, in lieu of a squadron or club burgee, or on a starboard antenna strong enough to support it. It your vessel has one or more masts, display it single-hoisted at the outboard signal halyard of the main starboard spreader. Move any flag normally flown there to the inboard starboard halyard or, if your boat has only one halyard per side, to the port spreader halyard.
The customs observed in various foreign waters differ from one another. Try to learn the correct procedure for the country you are entering. For example, is some countries it is customary to fly the courtesy flag only after the quarantine flag (the yellow 'Q' flag) and the vessel has been granted pratique by the appropriate authorities.
Do not fly a foreign courtesy flag after you have returned to U.S. waters. It is not to be used as a badge of accomplishment for having cruised to another country.

Foreign Guest Flags
When a foreign guest is aboard, you may display the ensign of the guest's country from the bow staff or outboard port spreader. Should more than one such guest flag be appropriate, wear them on spreader halyards from port to starboard in the alphabetical order of their countries' names in the English language.

·
Registered
297 Posts
????

All these rules!
I'll just fly the jolly roger..I'll chase down Harley's and steal their booty!!:doorag::doorag:

·
Banned
939 Posts
All these rules!
I'll just fly the jolly roger..I'll chase down Harley's and steal their booty!!:doorag::doorag:
All them rules. For the most part I have too agree

I say...Now you are talking. If you see my checkers beware though.

Pirates have been known to be dealt with harshly while in international waters like the Yukon Territories.

:arrow::doorag: :shrug:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Wow.... how a simple question can go so out of control!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts