GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why should you use distilled water & not normal water for the cooling system & is there a special type of anti freeze to use with aluminium engine or will regular do.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
There are a couple reasons to use distilled water.

First, regular water contains lots of minerals, that will leave scale and deposits in the small passages in the cooling system and will clog it.

Second, tap water in most places is chlorinated, and chlorine in an aluminum cooling system will destroy it in short order. Chlorine will attack the aluminum and it will start corroding almost immediately. Never use chlorinated water in any vehicle with aluminum cooling components or heads.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
When it comes time to change my antifreeze I am gonna use the water from the spring by my camp in Maine.
That NEVER freezes. Even during the coldest winter.
I figure that if it stays free from ice during a Maine winter it MUST be good. Besides, it's free. No need to buy antifreeze.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
..............OH.......KAAAAYY......... :roll: ....Eliminates mixing, too - I guess.......

·
Registered
761 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
When it comes time to change my antifreeze I am gonna use the water from the spring by my camp in Maine.
That NEVER freezes. Even during the coldest winter.
I figure that if it stays free from ice during a Maine winter it MUST be good. Besides, it's free. No need to buy antifreeze.
You could bottle it and make a fortune selling it to unsuspecting GW owners. :lol:

I

·
0 Posts
Re: Coolent

UNDERDOG said:
Take a ride to the Honda dealer and pick up 4 qts. of Honda HP premixed Anti freeze. About $5.95 each Ride Safe
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, it is also available at any Honda auto dealer. Probably cheaper by the gallon jug. If the weather is nice, take a ride to whichever is the farthest away. :lol:

Ride safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts