GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very fortunate to live in a part of Western Canada that I can escape to the countryside very quickly. Quiet, winding roads abound everywhere, and I really do appreciate them, particularily after a trip to the Big Smoke.:eek:4:
The other day I went for a solo ride, about a gas tank worth of riding. At times I had the cruise on, meandering through the countryside, other times I was close to having the rear tire break free, coming out of corners at 4,000 rpm and accelerating hard. The kind of ride that many of us live for.
As I was coming home, I pulled into mall to fill up the tank and came just too damn close to getting nailed by a driver that was not aware of much around him. Yes, it looked like he was texting as he drove through the parking lot.
Anyways, I put it all behind me until I read the following article. Although the pictures are based in SE Asia, the article still applies to all of us, whether we are victims of distracted drivers, or we are quilty of being one.
As humuorous as some of the pictures are, the reality of it is pretty scarey.

http://www.gizmag.com/distracted-driving-the-insanity-of-public-roads/19520/

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I hate to say it but the only logical and effective solution to the madness and murder that is distracted driving will only be cured when the phone service providers are named in the suits and dragged into court. Then and only then will we see any action taken to curb the carnage that is going on now and gets worse every day.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It is very bad and I don't think that loud pipes help get the people off their cell phones and weaving around or driving 35 in the fast lane. They are in a world of their own.

I watched a Harley rider get slammed at a light a few weeks ago by a lady on a cell phone.

Hell I went thru a middle of the blcok red light this morning myself in my wife's car becsue she was yelling at me...Now THAT'S a distraction.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I hate to say it but the only logical and effective solution to the madness and murder that is distracted driving will only be cured when the phone service providers are named in the suits and dragged into court. Then and only then will we see any action taken to curb the carnage that is going on now and gets worse every day.

Never happen.

Why blame them?

We don't blame gun manufacturers for murders.

:shrug:

Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

There's an article out about a guy in the UK who lost his license for a year for using TWO cellphones behind the wheel - one to talk and the other to text.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I despise Lawyers, and People who file Frivilous Lawsuits....But this may be the best solution I have heard.:thumbup:

With todays technology they could build a phone that while in motion, say 5 MPH, would shut itself off. That is fast enough that you could walk and use it, but not drive and use it. :popcorn:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I despise Lawyers, and People who file Frivilous Lawsuits....But this may be the best solution I have heard.:thumbup:

With todays technology they could build a phone that while in motion, say 5 MPH, would shut itself off. That is fast enough that you could walk and use it, but not drive and use it. :popcorn:
Then the phoney co. would charges an extra fee to utilize that function, I'd almost bet. But, point well taken.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Poleman,

You sound so innocent... Around here, in CA, it's the NORM that everyone's on a cell phone, texting, etc.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poleman,

You sound so innocent... Around here, in CA, it's the NORM that everyone's on a cell phone, texting, etc.
Ha, I'm almost a virgin! My wife has a cell phone, but not me. Ocassionally I use her's, but it's a struggle.:nojoke:

·
Registered
792 Posts

What about the passengers? People on buses?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I believe it will only get worse because cars are full of gadgets now. Smartphones that can be used as GPS, ipads and tablets thingies that can be hooked into the car. Drivers especially younger ones are all into these gadgets now.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Never happen.

Why blame them?

We don't blame gun manufacturers for murders.

:shrug:

Personal responsibility is a thing of the past.

There's an article out about a guy in the UK who lost his license for a year for using TWO cellphones behind the wheel - one to talk and the other to text.
Um, actually, Bob, the gun thing has already been passed in one state. It was about two years ago and I can't recall the details about it but I did read it. Don't remember if it was ok'd to proceed or if it was the final vote but I do remember it. Seems it was Arkansas or some state in that area. And while I am not advocating this law I am only saying that it's the only way to wake up the people. When you start kicking the service providers in the wallet then you will see action. But like it or not this sort of action is coming at some point. I would never say "never happen" because there is nothing preventing it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.On.Whidbey

Screw Them. :twisted:
What about when I driving my Van through Georgia and that gang of thugs gets after me. I got the V8 Van but I gotta slow down to call for help!
You don't want the thugs to get me, do u?

..louie

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.On.Whidbey

What about when I driving my Van through Georgia and that gang of thugs gets after me. I got the V8 Van but I gotta slow down to call for help!
You don't want the thugs to get me, do u?

..louie
You are from Texas. You Gotta Own A Gun. Use It to protect yourself. Then Stop & Call 911 :lol:
Guns are safe........Texting while driving is dangerous.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well my opinion.........
GHSJKKSLDOEJ

Crap just hit an old lady on a motorized cart because I was typing this on my phone while driving through the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Crap now I gotta get out and do cpr. I hope she has her teeth in. :shock:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Texting is a bad thing when driving....We were riding Friday and a lady in front of me on the 4-lane was texting and she was off of the road and in the other lane and she did that for 20 miles.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
My wife was run off the road this morning by someone texting. Luckily my wife was in an area with a hard shoulder and didn't end up in the woods.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts