GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought an 07 Goldwing from a fellow GL1800 rider back in 2017. On June 01, 2019 I was almost bug splatter on someone’s front grill. I am recovering from a hit and run distracted driver (in a work van) who entered into my lane head on from the opposite direction. I was forced into a ditch. No text, no radio station, no GPS, no spilled drink and no anything justifies running from an accident that they can cause.

I have lost my Goldwing and physical mobility because of something so senseless. I have been informed that they will never catch the guy unless he turns himself in. Chances are, he never even noticed me to begin with.

I had two good years of riding that wing and plan on getting another one after my recovery.

Please stay aware of your surroundings when riding. Make sure your insurance is squared away with the proper coverage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Too quick, it all happens so quick, we barely have time to understand what is happening. Mend well sir, best of luck on the insurance part and let us know what you do next.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@JayBird07 That whole scenario SUCKS! Glad you survived and the bike is replaceable. We all have to keep our heads on a swivel it's survival mode all the time we are in a cage or MC. Hope you a speedy recovery and that you find your next GW and enjoy the ride again!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I don't know why you posted this on just the Florida board. I would have put it on the "general" but that being said. I would not give up on finding the SOB that did this to you. I hope you recover soon and good luck finding another GW you like.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Hope your recovered soon. It's a epidemic that no one takes seriously. I vote that texting be disabled from working in a moving vehicle. That won't fix all the other distracted driving issues but it would help.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
What happened to you ? Did they total the bike ? Doctors give you time frame to ride again?

Reactions: JayBird07

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:
My accident occurred 3 miles south of Madison, Ga on 441 S (Ga Hwy 24). The Ghost vehicle was a white work van. To date, the driver has not been caught. My surgery to the ankle went well and is coming along pretty good. Going into an ankle brace on September 4th. Bike was totaled. I utilized my recovery time to find a new wing. I bought (stole for $8500) a new to me 2008 Goldwing. It only had 9000 miles and mostly garage kept. Prior owner is a former Crew Chief for the Blue Angels and he kept it gorgeous. I hope to be in the saddle again by the end of September.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts