GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked over the DEMO bike carefully. I always told myself that my next bike wouldn't have a speck of chrome on it, because I do not like to polish chrome. The demo bike had black wheels and black tailpipes. It is a thing of low-maintenance BEAUTY!

I bought my bike, and now that the initial euphoria is dwindling down, I realized that my DCT model comes with the silver aluminum wheels and the CHROME tailpipes. :surprise:

So I called the dealer this morning to get a quote on a new set of the black powder coated wheels and black tailpipes, along with the labor to swap them out. Of course he thinks I am crazy, and there is growing evidence of this throughout my life. But I have decided to do this.

I am going to buy a set of the black powder coated wheels with new tires, and the black tailpipes. I will have the dealer swap out the parts. Then, I will keep the other parts as backups, or sell them on eBay to the highest bidders.

I think this is a good decision to do now, while the new parts are still "new."

I'll post photos when it is done.

Joe

·
Registered
203 Posts
I looked over the DEMO bike carefully. I always told myself that my next bike wouldn't have a speck of chrome on it, because I do not like to polish chrome. The demo bike had black wheels and black tailpipes. It is a thing of low-maintenance BEAUTY!

I bought my bike, and now that the initial euphoria is dwindling down, I realized that my DCT model comes with the silver aluminum wheels and the CHROME tailpipes. :surprise:

So I called the dealer this morning to get a quote on a new set of the black powder coated wheels and black tailpipes, along with the labor to swap them out. Of course he thinks I am crazy, and there is growing evidence of this throughout my life. But I have decided to do this.

I am going to buy a set of the black powder coated wheels with new tires, and the black tailpipes. I will have the dealer swap out the parts. Then, I will keep the other parts as backups, or sell them on eBay to the highest bidders.

Joe

Sounds like a smart move to me, I'm loving the dark features of the non tour model and find it is easier keep clean.

·
Registered
471 Posts
There is already a member here that has removed all the Chrome and went to powder coating.
you should be able to do a search and it should come up.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I'd love to have the black trim/wheels/pipes from the non-tour on a tour model -- but not enough to spend what it's going to cost.

Lots of pictures please!!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I like chrome, aluminum, black or whatever as long as it’s durable and well done. I prefer my stuff the way the factory designers intended. I think of myself as a custodian of the peace while I’m using it. I’ve never bought a aftermarket wheel or much of anything for any vehicle for aesthetics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like Zee Fiftey I'm not much one for adding or changing parts simply for esthetic reasons. That being said, it's your bike. Make it what you want and enjoy!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
Alot of money to buy all those parts to just to have the black look...I would rather spend the money on the Traxxion suspension.:)

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Like Zee Fiftey I'm not much one for adding or changing parts simply for esthetic reasons. That being said, it's your bike. Make it what you want and enjoy!
I did some of mine for aesthetics but also for ease of maintenance.
My powder coated wheels are so much easier too clean than the originals. Valve covers too.
Spray a little WD40 on a rag and wipe them down. Done!

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
I did some of mine for aesthetics but also for ease of maintenance.
My powder coated wheels are so much easier too clean than the originals. Valve covers too.
Spray a little WD40 on a rag and wipe them down. Done!
The old wing had horrible wheels from the factory...mine pitted within 200 miles after I bought it. I chromed my wheels and they were so easy to clean and keep looking nice after that.

This 2018 has very nice wheels that are very easy to clean and keep nice. I don't know why it took Honda 17 years to put wheels on the Gold Wing that are as nice as the ones on the new wing...but it was about time :)

·
Registered
8,751 Posts

Joe

Some blacked out wing buyers are buying the blacked out bike and having the dealer add the trunk option to it. Would probably be a lot less money.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We can track a basketball in space a trillion miles away, but we can't seem to make a chrome that doesn't RUST.

Joe

·
Registered
292 Posts
Powder coated wheels $90 each :)

Marc
I was going to ask where you had them coated... but I'm going to guess in Cali?? Maybe to far for me from Ohio... :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah ... my conversion cost a bit more. I bought two black wheels, new rotors, bearings, etc. Two new tires mounted with valve stems. The black muffler covers to replace the chrome, along with the labor of swapping everything out. It would have been cheaper to powder coat the parts on my new bike, but then the bike would be down for who knows how long ... and I just don't have that much free time. Especially with my truck now DEAD, and needing to move the trailer around for the matching paint job and the Line-X interior, I just felt it was more expedient to go ahead and buy new parts.

Joe

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Being a wax nut, I enjoy sitting in my garage, EVERYTIME it rains and give my "Blacky" a good old coat of wax...With headphones on, Aaaaaaaaaaaaa life is good!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Being a wax nut, I enjoy sitting in my garage, EVERYTIME it rains and give my "Blacky" a good old coat of wax...With headphones on, Aaaaaaaaaaaaa life is good!

Ronnie
I wish they made a dishwasher large enough to pull the bike into, for a quick wash and dry.

Joe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts