GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a major improvement towards helping me SEE what my GoPro viewfinder's trying to tell me. In several PGR missions I'm really at a loss to know whether the GoPro's filming -or- not.... I'm spoiled by my Hoyt & the "viewability" of it's big viewfinder - never leaving you in doubt..... I've tried several things for my GoPro & think I have something that can be done easily & CHEAPLY !

My investment...... $1.79 for a can of FLAT BLACK spray paint from the hardware store next door & a couple hrs experimenting w/cardboard shades; cutting out patterns & stumbling onto the spray paint can TOP when I was looking for a template to draw an arc the size I wanted. The Flat Black spray paint cap eliminates glare & makes for excellent viewing, as-compared to what it was before....

I also have been experimenting with a center mount that shoots thru the windshield vent area. I remove the vent; stabilize the cam on a mount I'm developing & shoot thru the opening. Takes a couple minutes to remove the vent assembly. Couple minutes to re-install when done filming. The cam mount remains, affixed to the bottom of the dashboard & 99.9% out of sight. Not ready to show that puppy off, yet... still a work in progress....

I shot a PGR mission on Monday & have shot numerous "goofing around" personal missions & have been extremely pleased with the results thus far.

Not sure how many pics I can upload here.... I have 7 that I want to upload. If this won't take them all & you've got Q's - email me @ [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 remaining pics to complete my upload

last 2 pics of my GoPro SunShade - which formally lived a dull, boring life as a Flat Black Spray Paint Can Lid/Cap !

Dave - Hot'n'Sunny Missourahhhhh

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoulda added this.......

It was hot'n'windy here today......... 96-98 (forgot how hot it got) - but, windy too - maybe 20-25 mph at times.....

I went 20-30 Mi. on a "test run" & at times up to 80 mph....... cap stayed in place like a magnet....... no wiggle; no shake;

So far, so good !

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
nice tip:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
DW, I'm guessing that you've added the GoPro BacPac. Does it require that you get a larger case or will it fit in the original camera case with the BacPac attached? I just ordered a GoPro and will probably get the BacPac also.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reply to WingLeader

WL

I have the basic GoPro & added the viewfinder LCD once it became available.... I think I've heard of the bacpac (bigger battery?) - but, run w/the standard battery that came w/the unit.

With my unit came a little black box from GoPro with several different back cases - waterproof; non-waterproof; etc... Also, several different mounts...

I'm on the hunt now for a similar cap-type implement to nestle over the front of my GPS & make its screeen more discernible in bright sunlight.

Dave

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
WL

I have the basic GoPro & added the viewfinder LCD once it became available.... I think I've heard of the bacpac (bigger battery?) - but, run w/the standard battery that came w/the unit.

With my unit came a little black box from GoPro with several different back cases - waterproof; non-waterproof; etc... Also, several different mounts...

I'm on the hunt now for a similar cap-type implement to nestle over the front of my GPS & make its screeen more discernible in bright sunlight.

Dave
Dave,
There are actually two different GoPro BacPacs. One is the "Battery BacPac" that doubles the length of your recording time and the other is the "LCD BacPac" which has the viewing screen.

These guys (EyeofMine) have a lot of GoPro accessories including a viewfinder sun shade like you made for your GoPro. Except yours cost a lot less. ;) :yes1:

You can order a GPS sunshade from GlareStomper. I recently got one for my Zumo 550.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I use the go pro with the view finder on the back and keep it turned off to keep battery life up, I also cut a small hole in the side of the camera case and keep it plugged into 12v power supply that way I can film until I run out of storage on the 16gig card (I call it my black box for the wing) if I don't need the video I just cyclle through the system and erase all data and start over again.
I just got back from Colorado and carry a small notebook computer in the truck to download the videos I want to keep, have some great shots on the rides and I mounted the camera on the left mirror housing and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I may just have to try this DW. They had a lens shade at eyeofmine.com but I like your pricing a lot better. Also, if it comes off or gets lost a long the way, I can always make another.

Thanks for the tip.

Dont forget to turn up your screen brightness during the daylight hours. This will make the display easier to see.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Steverino !

I first made a couple of rectangular shades outa cardboard & plastic panels... I find the curve of the paint can cap gives me easier viewing. With the flat panels you hafta scrunch down to get a look-see at the viewfinder.... at least I did - in the mounting location I opted for.

The paint can cap is quicker to install; detach & like you said - if it disappears, can be quickly & cheaply replaced !

Dave

·
Registered
443 Posts
When you buy the LCD Backpack it comes with several extra backs, because it's thicker with the LCD installed. I didn't have to buy anything else to make it work.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Hey DW,
Looks way cool. By the way, what program are you using to "write" on the pics you're posting, if I may ask.
Scott

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Program: Photo Impact Pro 13

G'mornin Scott :

I've used Photo Impact Pro...... maybe starting w/version 5 & we're now up to 13 - soooooooooo, been lotsa years for me.

It's one of those programs that the more you do & use - the more you realize the addt'l capabilities of the program. There's tutorials on the company website, as well as searching YouTube.

For me, it allows me to easily reproduce images as .png files - which in effect turns them into transparencies. I use that feature in a lot of video applications that I do in my biz.

Chrome is my main browser & a step-child to Chrome is PICASA. Picasa also has a lotta neat, easy-to-use, straightforward applications. Picasa is a "freebie." Picasa, coupled with Chrome, makes it a very powerful digital photography & imaging editing product. Lotta guys here whine about Chrome...... has always worked & worked GOOD for me ! ;)

(come to think of it - a lotta guys here whine about a lotta things) !

Photo Impact Pro will run you $80-$100, depending upon where you look.

I think I first stumbled onto Pro by doing some research; reading some reviews on sites like Cnet.com

Here's the link for Pro

http://www.novadevelopment.com/soft...ware&sub=digital-photography-editing-software

1 - 14 of 14 Posts