GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From here on out I didn't take any pics but it was just routine maintenance stuff. I changed the final drive oil. Changed the engine oil and filter. Swapped out the spark plugs. It was interesting to find cold climate plugs in it. I put regular ones back in it. One thing I don't think I mentioned before is that I cleaned up everything I could see and touch throughout the project. As most of you know Goldwings can get pretty dirty underneath all that plastic. I refitted the upper bezel piece and slapped the seat back on.Lastly I aimed the new lights and put the lower cowl back on. By this time it was dark but I couldn't resist taking it out for a test ride.

Up next: Was it worth it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I can report that I am very pleased with the suspension upgrades. The death wobble is completely gone. I can take my hands off the bars at any speed and it tracks straight and true with no wobble whatsoever. Slow speed maneuvering is greatly improved. It felt awful before. Almost like the forks and triple clamps were made out of rubber. That feeling is gone now. The bike sits higher now and does not bottom on sections of road that always caused me problems before. The bike just feels planted now. The handling is amazing. I like to ride hard and sporty.The Wing is fully capable of handling that now. It is sprung moderately stiff. I've been running it with the rear preload adjustment at 0 out of 25. It soaks up the slow speed stuff nicely. Larger bumps at speed are a little harsh but that's a trade-off I'm willing to accept to be able to ride a 900 pound bike like a sport-tourer. Riding with my wife on board is a joy now. It was torture before. The suspension eats up everything I've thrown at it two-up.The improvement in slow speed handling is super evident when riding with passenger. It was downright dangerous before. It is remarkable now. I ran with the preload at 10 with GrapeWife on board.

Was the money and effort worth it? Yes!

I ordered a Hartco seat a few days ago to open up the cockpit a bit. Mark is about a month out. I can't wait to try it out. Adding up the cost of the suspension parts, lights, and seat makes it official that I have spent more on aftermarket improvements than I paid for the bike. Heli Bars will add $900 to the tally.

I have a nice low mileage Goldwing that is set up for my size and riding style now.

That, I say, is near priceless.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words throughout this thread. I didn't intend it to be a How To thread but in the end in morphed into overview of the process with a few tips and tricks thrown in.

Ride on.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts