GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not Goldwing and I have already posted on the DN-01 site already, however I noted there are quite a few Goldwingers that also own DN-01, so here is my question:

Anyone ever have this happen? While in a full coast down hill (engine at idle and bike in Drive Gear) at roughly 25 mph, the back tire just locked-up for a split second, just as if you were trying to start a manual transmission bike with popping the clutch in 1st gear while trying to crank the engine. Everything seems to be working normal after that, it took throttle and headed up the hill ahead normally. Tried to repeat the ordeal over and over in the same location, but never did it again. Any ideas?

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I've never heard of or known anyone who owned one of these bikes, and I've never seen one except at a dealer's showroom. Isn't this the bike with the auto trans (Human Friendly Transmission)? I have no ideas regarding your problem. I would be curious to hear an owner's report on ride, handling, power, brakes, suspension, and especially your feelings about the transmission.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom

It's a great little machine, the smoothest bike I have ever sit straddle of! In the begining it had two problems (1.) Price was about twice what it should have been and that's been cured $15,499 now down to $8,099 (2.) Windshield (or better yet what windshield?) Is almost non existant, but the Givi aftermarket WS helps that. Bottom line...it's a real hoot to ride in the twisties around here!! Transmission is wonderful, the wife is always in the right gear (she mainly uses "Sport Mode" automatic) and the "Manual" paddle shift is similar to the corvette paddle shift,, hit the gas and punch the button!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If that trany works the way I think it does (and I've not found much good info on it yet), that could have been caused by a sticky valve controlling swash plate travel. I would be interested in knowing the maintenance schedule on the transmission, and what fluid it uses. Also how fuel economy is shaping up. What you described should be investigated, as it could easily cause a high-side if it lasted a bit longer and then released.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wondered if anyone was buying this bike. At first I kind of liked it, but it eventually "un"grew (opposite of grew) on me...

Not saying you made a bad choice. It just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just the opposite for us, sort of like the Chevrolet Avalanche in 2002 growing on us. We said that was the ugliest vehicle ever built, but that changed, since then we have owned 7 of them. I learned to never say never!!!

However, I agree that everyone opinions and choices are different. That's why all cars aren't painted black and have 4 doors.

Thanks for your comment.

Oh, please do a rain dance down there....our place in Cass County is parched!!!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not any good @ dancing. The only one I think I can sort of do is the YMCA and I always get the letters in the wrong order or make up new letters... We certainly need some rain. Never thought I was hoping for a hurricane.

:lol::lol:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tom

Outside of this problem tonight, it a great little machine, the smoothest bike I have ever sit straddle of! In the begining it had two problems (1.) Price was about twice what it should have been and that's been cured $15,499 now down to $8,099 (2.) Windshield (or better yet what windshield?) Is almost non existant, but the Givi aftermarket WS helps that. Bottom line...it's a real hoot to ride in the twisties around here!! Transmission is wonderful, the wife is always in the right gear (she mainly uses "Sport Mode" automatic) and the "Manual" paddle shift is similar to the corvette paddle shift,, hit the gas and punch the button!
So, just out of curiousity, the lack of cargo carrying capacity hasn't been an issue for you? I looked at these when they came out, and I think (as always, I could be mistaken) that in stock form they have less carying capacity than a Burghman or Silver Wing.

p.s. my dealer indicated that DN-01 stands for "Do Not Order One" based on how long the one and only one they got sat on the floor before they could sell it.

Glad you are enjoying yours, tho.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thought they looked cool when they came out and my wife really liked the look of it and the auto trans for her. The $15K price stopped any serious consideration. Didn't know they dropped that to $8K. May have to re-investigate.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Touring Professor,

That's a drawback, but in our case it was bought for my wife to ride with ease in the twisties close to home and I always have extra storage in my GW. Although she is considering a small bag that would sit on the rear seat, the same as I have on my XR650L. Also, she still plans to be on the back seat of the GW for the long haul traveling and the Escapade will be in trail too.

That "Do Not Own One" was one of the first things told us, the other was "Do Not Order One". Both statement by Honda dealers too.

Hey, if Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy and the DN-01 (or what ever nick-name it gets) is making Mama happy...AND that just makes me THRILLED then!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Billsuds,

If your wife likes riding but feels over loaded at times, stopping on steep slopes, etc, then the automatic and SUPERIOR LOW center of gravity sure eases that stress level. The lower price eased mine and my wife's stress level too!!

It's so smooth, after riding the DN-01, I get back on my GL1800 and think "What happen, why is this thing so rough"?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Touring Professor,

That's a drawback, but in our case it was bought for my wife to ride with ease in the twisties close to home and I always have extra storage in my GW. Although she is considering a small bag that would sit on the rear seat, the same as I have on my XR650L. Also, she still plans to be on the back seat of the GW for the long haul traveling and the Escapade will be in trail too.

That "Do Not Own One" was one of the first things told us, the other was "Do Not Order One". Both statement by Honda dealers too.

Hey, if Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy and the DN-01 (or what ever nick-name it gets) is making Mama happy...AND that just makes me THRILLED then!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Well, if she's thrilled, then you're thrilled, and so I'm thrilled for ya'!

:congrats:

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a riding friend that has a DN-01 among other bikes. He bought it new and has since put quite a few miles on it with absolutely no problems. I ask him about your problem and he told me he has never experienced this problem nor does he know anyone that has. He had no idea what might cause it.

Hope you find your answer and enjoy as many miles as he has!

:biker:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Someone bought one loacl and had it set up with Givi bags and trunk. I'd bet it has just as much storage room as a Wing.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer, maybe Honda USA (?) wanted this one back. My wife got a replacement today. Exact same bike only 5 serial numbers difference.

We are delighted to hear no one else is experiencing the glitch the first bike had, at the wrong moment that could have been REALLY BAD!!! Like in a big time lean into a curve!!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
stevesride

Thanks for you checking with your friend for us!!

Ralph Pedrick

We saw one at the dealership last Saturday with ALL the Givi's on. It would be functional but that thing is wider than you would think. The bags mount so far outside. Although, it didn't appeal to us, but if I was commuting or traveling, my opinion would probably me more tolerate to the width?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on wife's NEW DN-01

Thanks for all the responses on the problem we had with the original DN-01.

The wife now has 845 miles on her (NEW) DN-01. It's been through it's 600 mile (first check) already. She is really having a blast being back on two wheels after years on a GL-1800 Champion Trike. The smoothness and the ease of running the twisties without the arm strain of steering the trike. The low center of gravity and the balance is wonderful to her also! My comment is: " It's balanced so good a kick stand should be optional".

Although, the GIVI windshield didn't workout because @ 5' 4" she was looking thru it and it's sumwhat distorted with all the curves in it, to the point of almost making her sick. She said it was like looking though someone else prescription glasses and trying to walk. She ordered her the Magical Racing windshield from Japan and hopefully she will get it by late October?

When we considered another ride, she was really considering a CanAm Spyder RT SE, and may still end up with one someday? Yesterday, she was offered a used one with 3,000 miles on it, correct color and exactly loaded with equipment as we were considering for a VERY GOOD price and she said: "No I really like my little bike"!

For those looking for the wife a seperate ride, you might consider a DN-01? She will always be in the right gear! Although, I have noticed the inventories are drying up. The dealer we bought from has only Red Ones left in stock and has increased the price from $8,099 to $8,499. He said they have sold over 30 of them just in the last couple of months.

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
Ghostjumpstarting best to take those floor boards off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts