GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't recall seeing it. My 1500 had it proudly displayed next to the oil fill. Always gave the Harley riders gas.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm I wonder if Honda's announcement of moving production to Japan has been contemplated for quite some time...:?

My 08 doesn't have it that I can find.

It was cast into the block on my 1500.

·
Registered
576 Posts
"Made in USA"

My '98 Valk has it in the block. A law went into effect as of Jan 1, 99. All products introduced after that date had to have over 90% of it's components made here to make that claim. The '99 Valks still had it as they were introduced in the fall of '98, but the 2000 didn't have it. Valks were about 82% American made. I suspect Wings are also below the 90% limit. BTW: Harleys are only 70% made in the USA. They don't have "Made in USA' on them either.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
The 01 to 03 models says " Honda 1800" on the valve covers.
I've had my 1800 stripped to the bare frame and I haven't seen "Made in the USA" anywhere on the 1800.....except for a few parts...like the remote trunk release module and the OEM air filter.....but then again I didn't see any made in anywhere labels at all on the bike except for the above mentioned parts, and on the sides of the tires. The few small replacement parts I have bought had "Made in Japan" on the plastic bag.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
My '98 Valkyrie has it, but not my '02 GL1800.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You would be suprised how many "American" cars and motorcycles are not made in the U.S.A. check you vin number. If it starts with the number one it is made in the U.S.A. My Honda gl and civic both start with a 1. My Chevy is made in Canada. If the first number of the vin is a 2 or 3 it is made in Mexico or Canada, I don't remember if 2 Canada or Mexico. If made in Japan the vin will start with a "J".

Won't help you with the Harleys as every one I've seen starts with a 1.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't imagine why honda can't put made in usa on the engine block. That and the entire engine internals are assembled here, I would have thought they made the engines here as well.

ENGINE BASICS
About the only part of the new Gold Wing that was relatively simple to produce was the engine, because its design does not differ radically from the 1520cc engines used in the previous Gold Wing and existing Valkyrie models. Perhaps the most significant change is the move from the Anna, Ohio, engine plant, where Gold Wing engines were originally built, to the Marysville plant, a move made primarily for efficiency reasons.
Just as with the 1500 engines, crankshaft bearings are carefully matched to exacting tolerances, but the 1800 motor gets an extra process. Unlike the GL1500, which uses hydraulic valve lash adjusters, the 1800 uses a shim-under-bucket adjustment design. So the engine assembly line at MMP now includes a shim selection machine that measures the cam lobes and cam journals, plus the clearances in the head from the valve stems and the journals for the cams. All of this information is digitally digested, producing a printout that defines what size shim should be used for each valve. Most impressive of all, this process takes only seconds to complete.
According to Chris Pickleheimer, engine assembly trainer, a number of highly skilled engine assembly associates trained MMP associates how to build engines. They trained extensively at the Anna plant, learning the intricate techniques of engine production.

From: http://www.hondanews.com/search/release/1753?q=uncompromising&s=acura

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My VIN starts with 1HFSC for what that's worth. 1 means US H means Honda and FSC is a manufacturer's designation for type, body style or model.

Here is a website that describes the VIN.

http://www.kerrywilson.com/vin.htm

Interesting read. D= Daihatsu and Mercedes

Daveo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts