GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 gl1800 and wondered if I should install a belly pan. Do you have one or think it’s important? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its a question that everyone had a different answer to..
Personally I don't run with one.. I put 90,000 miles on my '06 and never had a problem, and I like to ride a variety of roads..
including the occasional gravel road (most times that's not by choice!)
my 2012 I must of run over something or picked up a rock and at 45k I had a leak..
i ended up with a hole the size of a Ten Penny nail.. after looking at the cost of a new reservoir and installing it,
I went with an epoxy for plastic and plugged the hole, let it set and I haven't had a problem.
But its something you will have to consider.. and if you want to chance it..

·
Registered
129 Posts
After observing a new 2001 kick up a piece of asphalt and punch a hole in the bottom of the engine casing (horizontally split by the way), followed by the rider's efforts to stop a bike with oil spewing all over the road in front of his rear tire, I have installed on on all my GL1800 1st and 2nd gens. Inexpensive insurance... note that the number of miles without an incident has nothing to do with your future.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have never used one.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I have the Murphskits oil filter protector, and I fabricated an aluminum overflow tank protector.
I didn't want to block airflow under the engine.
I feel it helps to cool the sump and the exhaust pipes, putting less thermal stress on the radiators and cooling system.
Sure, cars and trucks have covers and skid protectors to help aerodynamics and protect their running gear, but their cooling systems were designed to handle the heat.
I don't think Goldwings were ever designed to have belly pans.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To each their own. Some folks overthink it IMO. I’ve never known anyone who regretted adding a belly pan. I do know of some that wish they had added one after tearing up their over flow bottle. I’d be one of them.

Other than the small hassle to remove it for maintenance, there is nothing else negative that I’ve encountered. The Wing wouldn’t be wrapped in Tupperware if it hampered the ability for the motor to stay at appropriate operating temps. It has 2 radiators. Maintain the cooling system and all usually will be fine.

Do you need it? Absolutely not. Is it a little piece of mind? For many yes. It really comes down to your preference. No wrong choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrAlex714

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I have a 2016 gl1800 and wondered if I should install a belly pan. Do you have one or think it’s important? Thanks
Definitely, why take a chance on you being the one in a .million to get a rock in the oil filter and a lot better odds for a hole in you coolant bottle. Assuming honda didn't move these things in 16 . Now that's one lottery I would probably win lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
I personally don't think a belly pan will save any hard parts like cases. I do think it will protect the soft parts like the coolant reservoir and the oil filter.
Robert

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I personally don't think a belly pan will save any hard parts like cases. I do think it will protect the soft parts like the coolant reservoir and the oil filter.
Robert
I would keep in mind it may deflect enough energy to keep hard parts from taking a significant hit. My pan took quite a hit from a road gator which, had it been a direct hit without the pan, it might had at least cracked the case. I too think there is no negative to having a belly pan. The concern about heat dissipation is negligible, the bike is cooled by it's radiators. Anyway, air does flow through the pan, it isn't a "closed" system.

True, the bike wasn't "designed" for it, but the GW wasn't designed for a lot of things we do, pulling trailers, car tires, carrying people who are 300 lbs apiece...

But, I personally wouldn't design a bike to have a plastic coolant bottle right at ground level so any road hazard could easily smash it. And, I've had three bikes of Honda's that the oil filter sits right there behind the front wheel were anything thrown up by the wheel could potentially smash the oil filter... I've never understood that placement. I guess there is just no better place to put it considering the rest of the design.

Belly pans.... they're like helmets. You probably can get away without having them, but they day may come when, dang, you which you had it.... :wink2:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
True, the bike wasn't "designed" for it, but the GW wasn't designed for a lot of things we do, pulling trailers, car tires, carrying people who are 300 lbs apiece...
Interesting that you mention these items along with a belly pan.
Those are also choices I would never make for my Goldwing.
However I do respect the fact that anyone can do anything they want with their Goldwing.
Back to the OP's question; he was looking for opinions on a belly pan.
I gave mine, even though I believe I'm in the minority here.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My 2006 has one. If I bought another Wing right now I would make sure it had one too.

I would suggest you add one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
On the 5th gens that I've owned, I've never use one ... having one is a personal choice. If an owner does end up with case damage, the good news is that it becomes a insurance claim, and the owner is usually only out their deductible.

The score here for engine case replacements is below:
- will belly pans 3
- without belly pans 2

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts