GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time gold wing owner, and therefore first time gold wing tire owner.....

Going for a weekend ride next weekend.... about 1100 miles. Do I need a new rear tire?

If this was my old Buell I would definitely say yes, but with this I’m unsure....

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you don't hit any rain then 1100 miles is doable and then change when you get home... but I would change it.
If a shop is going to do it then go to americanmototire.com find the tire you want and see if they will match the price or come close. I needed a tire changed and didn't have time to wait for it to be delivered so I called the dealer and a $324 was on americanmototire.com for $227 and they matched it plus labor.
Have fun on your ride,
Guy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The question is, "Do you feel Lucky, punk?"

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
First time gold wing owner, and therefore first time gold wing tire owner.....

Going for a weekend ride next weekend.... about 1100 miles. Do I need a new rear tire?

If this was my old Buell I would definitely say yes, but with this I’m unsure....
I would change it, it’s down to carcass in the middle. Considering the straight up wear pattern, You should go dark side. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Think of it this way... even if there is no rain or wet pavement in your trip... The added tread will give you far more protection from a possible puncture on the road.

Years ago I was getting ready for a ride to Death Valley. My tire was warn but still had some tread life in it. May have been ok for local rifing. Bu I changed it anyway.
At the Hotel in D Valley I did my morning bike check over. I found a nail that didn't quite make it through the tire. If I had the old tire, it would have easily been a flat! Better to think safety than the cost of a tire, I think>

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
218 Posts
Heavy ass bike, worn ass tire. You decide. All of the above comments come into play. I would rather gamble on a black jack table. Less to lose there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Change it for sure. The last mm or two goes away faster than you will believe, and you will find yourself in the middle of nowhere looking at a patch of cords about 8" long, hoping you can limp to a dealer that will maybe have a tire, and possibly a type you don't want.

·
Vendor
17,811 Posts
In wet weather, that would be a slippery tire on curves, turns, and pavement stripes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not only do you need a new tire but, it will also stop that humming sound you hear when you are going around corners! Haven't heard that humming since going to the darkside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks!

New tire has been ordered!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
49CA7B02-084E-415D-8D4A-1CBA73426836.jpg

538E712B-9AFA-433C-8928-09CBAF9418DF.jpg

Guys ask me all the time if I think they really need to change it. I smile while saying yes. this one I did last week. Came over for an oil change.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
If you ride that trip or not you need to replace that POS

prs

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
You know your going to have to change that tire one way or another.....That's for sure! Soooooooooooooooooooo the question to ask yourself is: Do I want to change it, when I'm safe and sound, sitting in a shops waiting room, OR change it when I'm 250 miles away from anything with a flat tire, and of course NO CELL signal .........................:crying:

Ronnie

Reactions: sailordudeii

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While riding back from a trip out west this past summer, my daughter and I were having breakfast in White River, Ontario, on the north side of Lake Superior. While eating, I noticed a guy travelling on a Harley across the road at a restaurant there paying a lot of attention to his rear tire, people coming to look at it and talk to him.

After breakfast we rode over thinking he may have a nail or something and might be able to use my plug kit. Turned out that his tire was showing the cords like in the picture above. Look at a map - White River is literally in the middle of nowhere - keep going 4.5 hours west to a motorcycle dealer, or backtrack 3.5 hours east to a dealer. He had already contacted the HD dealer in Thunder Bay (4.5 hours west) to alert them that he may be needing a trailer ride from somewhere along the highway, but he was also considering turning around and going the 3.5 hours to Sault Ste Marie for the closer dealer....

I suggested he was probably best off going west since that was the direction he was heading, then we continued since there was nothing else we could do.

I’ve often wondered what he decided to do and how it went for him...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts