GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to figure out if I need Helibars. I have a 2018 Goldwing DCT with a backrest installed. I went on a long trip and noticed that I had some back pain. I would stop and move the backrest as far back as it would go and that would alleviate the problem a bit. The strange thing is that I have 36 inch arms so reach has never been a problem, however I still experience some pain on long rides.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most people that had shoulder and upper back pain used the Heli to fix that. Don't recall lower back pain being mentioned.

Put it on the center stand and climb on. Have someone take a pic or two from the side. Let's see what we got.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I too have been suffering with the ergonomics on the new Goldwing and here is what I’ve learned. If your elbows are locked aka stiff arming the bars, all of the vibration from the bars bouncing will be broadcast up your arms to your neck and back. You want your arms to have a slight to moderate bend to act as shock absorbers absorbing the vibration without sending it up tour arms.

Next is your wrist, you want your wrist straight perpendicular to the grips. Anything else will put a kink in your wrist and will ultimately cause premature muscle fatigue or carpal tunnel. I made this mistake on my HD ultra, well really all these mistakes. I did a 48 in 10 with bad ergonomics and came back with carpal tunnel in my throttle hand and tendinitis in my left arm, even with using cruise control.

I bought the DCT to alleviate the clutch side issues I have. I did install the Helibars but found that the bars were too close and causing my wrist to be cocked badly. I moved it to the sport position and bingo, perfect wrist. Next was the grips. The diameter is very small which even with the grips puppies cause wrist and hand cramping. I switched over to ISO grips and bingo, bars and grips seem to be as perfect as they are going to be for me.

Hope this helps. Take away what you find useful. It takes some trial and error to get this puppy comfortable. It is definitely not a one size fits all to start.

Note: I have a Utopia backrest and soon to be RDL seat which I hope will finish the comfort side of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Initially, I would develop discomfort along the neck and left shoulder riding the new Wing on all-day rides. I went with the Helibars available for the 2018 and haven't experienced the discomfort since (35" sleeve here).

I also had the LST multi-axis adjustable Helibars on my 2015 Gold Wing and that version offered much greater adjustability (forward, backwards, up and wrist angle adjustability). When I had Helibars installed on my 2018 Gold Wing Tour during the Laconia Bike Week Rally, Harry mentioned he was developing something similar to the LST Helibars for the new wings. When available, I will get in line! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I've found basic stretching helps me out focused on the back-shoulders-hips especially since I've gotten a tad older. Nothing Golden about the Golden years.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
413 Posts
A little off the topic. Are Helibars as effective for trikes or is that a different animal?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
It seems that the goal is proper hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder alignment. I want a slight downward slope consistently from shoulder top to grips, slight bend to elbows such that they are relaxed and flexible, then wrist and your relaxed hands in grip position should be relaxed and not torqued. You can sit in a plain armless chair and assume your relaxed position in sort of a pretend style, then go sit on your center standed bike to see how that matches. If the shoe fits, good; if not maybe the Helibars will get you straightened out.

prs

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I bought the DCT to alleviate the clutch side issues I have. I did install the Helibars but found that the bars were too close and causing my wrist to be cocked badly. I moved it to the sport position and bingo, perfect wrist.
Guess I have to try the Sport position. My right wrist gets sore, but I think that is because my wrist is bent from the constant throttle. My left wrist is fine, thanks to no clutch, I think.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Initially, I would develop discomfort along the neck and left shoulder riding the new Wing on all-day rides. I went with the Helibars available for the 2018 and haven't experienced the discomfort since (35" sleeve here).

I also had the LST multi-axis adjustable Helibars on my 2015 Gold Wing and that version offered much greater adjustability (forward, backwards, up and wrist angle adjustability). When I had Helibars installed on my 2018 Gold Wing Tour during the Laconia Bike Week Rally, Harry mentioned he was developing something similar to the LST Helibars for the new wings. When available, I will get in line! :thumbup:

Did you utilize the tour or the sport position?

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
So I am trying to figure out if I need Helibars. I have a 2018 Goldwing DCT with a backrest installed. I went on a long trip and noticed that I had some back pain. I would stop and move the backrest as far back as it would go and that would alleviate the problem a bit. The strange thing is that I have 36 inch arms so reach has never been a problem, however I still experience some pain on long rides.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Helibars fixed it for me. I had discomfort similar to you on longer rides, so at around 800 milies I installed the Helibars and I've not felt the discomfort since, not even on 900 mile days.

IMHO the new Wings bar geometry should be like that stock, it's just so much better.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed the Helibars in the tour position. I am going to try it out on my trip to Wing Ding and see how I like it. Thanks everyone for the input

·
Registered
190 Posts
Id love the reach of the tour with the wrist angle of the sport.....
I second that, the stock angle is perfect. My Harley has chubby pull back bars which I like, it probably has the same angle as the GW risers only the seating position is very different on my Roadking

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
You said you have a backrest why not just ride with one hand. Typically over 30 mph I ride with one hand I have a stiff neck 1 hand riding allows me to turn my body 90 deg without any input to the handle bars and the backrest stabilizes body position

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed Helibars 2.0 yesterday. Seems a little too far "in". I used to have MBLs on my 2007 and they were perfect. Maybe I just need to get used to it.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 - 18 of 18 Posts