GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 has 32,600 miles and runs great. Should I get the valves adjusted before next riding season?

Is this something I can do?

R

·
0 Posts
Don't waste your time or money. Most motorcycles don't need valve adjustments for many more miles then you have on yours.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had my first work done at 46,000 miles. 75% needed service. Next time I do them at 32,000

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Don't waste your time or money. Most motorcycles don't need valve adjustments for many more miles then you have on yours.
Agree that MOST don't... However, that means that SOME do (mine did; I checked them myself at 34k and two were out of range). They may or may not have been set up right during assembly. Do you like to gamble?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I always like to play it safe. I'd get them checked before the season starts. Then you won't be thinking of it when you're riding.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If I understand correctly the valves require shims and the only reason for shims would be due to wear and I can't see that if you have always ran full synthetic oil that you would have enough wear to require adjustment at 32K. Would someone with more technical knowledge on this engine give more input. I knew one rider that did an adjustment every 100K and he was at 341,000 trouble free miles. I guess I question shops that always seem to make adjustments. If you are a technician willing to share honest information please do. Thanks

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Good idea to do this service @ 32,000 by the manuel especially if you bought the extended warranty.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I just did mine at 32968. All the intakes were out of tolerance. Should be =/- .006. Four were .003, one was .002, one was .001. Glad I checked.

Exhaust were all in tolerance.

My guess is the valve seats wear down.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Out of Spec

I had mine in the shop with a little over 30,000 miles for warranty work. (Darn Hazard Lights) I asked them to go ahead and check valves since I didn't want to take it back in a month or so later. #2 exhaust was out of spec. Many don't need any adjustment. Mine did. I started to wait longer like some on here have recommended. However, if Honda denies a warranty claim I will be the one shelling out the $$$$ to have it fixed. Regardelss of what some folks say I try and follow the maintenance schedule pretty closely. Don't run the oil for 8000 miles, but I do change other fluids and air cleaner at recommended intervals.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I let mine go, checked them at about 60,000 miles and all the exhaust were out of spec. and all but two of the intakes were borderline, that being said, it seems that most don't need adjustment at 32,000. Checking them is not hard to do, depending on your mechanical ability, adjusting them is a little more complicated. If I had it to do over, I would have checked them at 32,000. If you decide to do it yourself, you might want to invest in a manual first.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I understand correctly the valves require shims and the only reason for shims would be due to wear and I can't see that if you have always ran full synthetic oil that you would have enough wear to require adjustment at 32K. Would someone with more technical knowledge on this engine give more input. I knew one rider that did an adjustment every 100K and he was at 341,000 trouble free miles. I guess I question shops that always seem to make adjustments. If you are a technician willing to share honest information please do. Thanks
I am not a technician, but I will share what I know metals. the valves are steel, and the heads are aluminum, after the steel valves slam into the softer aluminum heads for a while they seat themselves into the aluminum which changes the original adjustments. If they are adjusted on the higher end of the spec at the factory, the seating action should not put them out of spec, but, if they are closer to the lower end of the spec from the factory, they most likely will need adjusting. The shims are hardened steel, they do not get the wear, the type of oil does not matter as far as valve wear goes, as long as they are getting oil the shims will not wear enough to matter. As far as adjusting them ever 100,00 miles go, the engine will still run with the valves out of spec, but it does run a little better with them adjusted within spec.
JMHO

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Had mine checked for the first time at 64 THOUSAND miles all were in tolerence the mechachic said but did not get the details all it cost me was $80 dollars i was rapt:lol: will get them checked again at 100k

CHEERS :thumbup:

R

·
0 Posts
Agree that MOST don't... However, that means that SOME do (mine did; I checked them myself at 34k and two were out of range). They may or may not have been set up right during assembly. Do you like to gamble?
If I did I'd own a Harley. :lol: If your experienced enough to check them yourself then go for it but most who would have to take it to a shop would be wasting their money for those miles. Japanese bikes are built very well. Will a Honda dealer even sell shims?

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
Yes

Performance deteriates progressively and it is hard to tell. One sign is the bike takes a little longer to crank. Mine were a little tight and the low end response was better after adjustment. Follow the manual Honda at 32K intervals

:popcorn:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Checked mine to-day @ 32000 miles. Five valves are out of spec. Where is the best place to get shims?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Checked mine to-day @ 32000 miles. Five valves are out of spec. Where is the best place to get shims?
Hal sell's them, some Honda shops have an exchange system, usually about $3 or $4 plus your old shim, You can order them from the dealer, but from my experence, they cost about twice as much as Hal sells them for. There are also kits you can buy with an assortment of sizes, but it would not be cost effective for 5 shims and you would end up with a box full of shims that you will most likely never use.
When you figure out what size shims you need, PM me, I have some extras, maybe we can just trade, Vancouver is just a short ride from the Camano Island.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I disagree with much of the above. You should check the valve clearances or have them checked as specified in the schedule. That first check the most critical one as the initial wear or setteling in of the engine will create more change early on. The type of oil used has little to do with recession of valve faces and seats. "Most" motorcylces require far more frequent valve checks and adjustments than does the wing, just ask one of your VTX buddies.

prs

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey Chris,
Bring it by the house.;) We have Alice's bike tore down for 100K maintenance and that is one of the things she is going to do, check and adjust if necessary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts