GL1800Riders Forums banner

Do It Yourself Fork Service w/Traxxion AK-20

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Max McAllister 
#1 ·
We figured out today the DIYers can easily service our kitted forks.

I have been falsely assuming that people wouldn't be able to compress the fork springs in an AK-20 equipped fork without a heavy duty spring compressor like we have in our shop.

But none of us here ever tried to use our common DIY hand operated fork spring compressor. It works easily, I am glad, and embarrassed to say! :oops:

The kit does require a third hand, albeit an unskilled one, and is cheap to buy and won't wear out or break. There are some photos of it in use here:

https://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.a ... ct_id=FSCK

We have made an inexpensive service tool kit as well which includes a cartridge bleed tool, and a DIY grade oil level gauge. It also has a hex key extension so you can get the bottom bolt out.

https://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.a ... ct_id=CFTK

If you want to do seals, you will still need some sort of seal driver. Or another tip I give people is to just slide by the bike shop with everything setup and have your local mechanic drive the seal in. It only takes a second with the right tool.

Race Tech makes nice seal drivers, but they are pro grade, and cost like $70. Some people try and tap the seal in with a punch. This is almost guaranteed to fail. Also, some people get by with a large PVC tube. This will work, if you can find the size that pushes on the outer edge of the seal. If you beat on the inner edge, you will damage your new seals.

Hope this helps!!!

:)

See less See more
#3 ·
Max,
I just tried your links and they timed out...
Course it is 12:30 AM, maybe you guys are doing site maint. or something.

#5 ·
MAX,
Gale,

We only sell the AK-20 Kit to authorized Traxxion installers. To become an authorized installer we require in house training. We require you to come to our facilities in Woodstock, GA for at least on day. We show you how our product is assembled, our theories, and philosophies and how the product is installed.

In order to install the AK-20 kit you need a professional fork spring compressor and then the left side with the damper rod is not a drop in application. The fork tube needs to be slightly modified and there is a special sequence when installing the spacer, cartridge, spring and preload spacer.

We do not charge anything for the training so if you are interested we will be happy to work with you.

Thanks!

===========================

Champions Choose Traxxion...

Mike Hardy

Sales Manager

Traxxion Dynamics, Inc.

So,
What is the fork tube modification? galewing

#6 ·
Fred H. said:
I will be doing my own for sure. I'll try to shoot a photo gallery when I do. I can usually push seals in with my thumbs if I lube em up with fork oil. Sometimes I use a piece of PVC.

Max, can you sell us the proper fork fluid to use with the AK-20s?
]

Sure. But it's also available at many bike shops as well. Maxima 125/150 Suspension Fluid. It's about $12.50 per quart, and one quart will be enough to do both forks.

#8 ·
So,
What is the fork tube modification? galewing[/quote]

It allows us to put a cartridge in the left leg where the antidive damper rod used to be. After we do the initial installation, it doesn't affect routine service, and then you can use an inexpensive spring compressor kit.

G
#9 ·
Here is pics of the kit Max is talking about ;

The discription
We have assembled a tool kit consisting of everything you will need to service almost any cartridge fork you will ever own. The tool kit includes Traxxion Dynamic’s: • Fork Spring Compressor Kit - This handy, shop quality kit is simple to use, but does require a "third hand" to slide the spring hold-down tool under the jam nut. Instructions included.) • Fork Bleed Tool - This tool is “3-in-1” and has thread pitches of 10x1.0, 12x1.0, and 12x1.25mm which will allow you to service almost any known street fork. • Oil Level Gauge – This versatile tool will measure oil levels on both conventional and inverted forks, and can set levels from 0-300mm. • Hex Extension Tool - Tool is available in 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm sizes, and is used in combination with an ordinary socket and ratchet. This allows you to get to the bolt recessed in the bottom of your fork to remove your cartridge or damping rod. This economical tool will save you from having to buy a professional, purpose-made tool. All of these tools are sold separately or you can buy the complete kit and save $$$. As with all Traxxion Dynamics Tools there is a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. $89.95

G
#10 ·
Here is the other fork service kit .

The Traxxion Dynamics Fork Spring Compressor Kit is an absolute necessity for anyone who intends to service or change springs in an inverted cartridge fork. This handy, shop quality kit is simple to use, but does require a "third hand" to slide the spring hold-down tool under the jam nut. Instructions included. This kit is design to be used in conjunction with the appropriate Traxxion Dynamics Fork Bleed Tool. All Traxxion Tools come with a satisfaction guarantee. $36.95

Thats it 8)

#11 ·
The little plate you slide in is where you need the third hand. But it could be anyone. 8)

This allows you to break the jam nut under the cap loose.

We use the fork cap itself as a rebound adjuster.

So when reassembling:

1. Thread the jam nut all the way down on the rod, then compress the spring and put the hold down plate back in.

2. Thread the fork cap all the way on the rod until you feel it GENTLY bottom out, and then DO NOT FORCE IT FURTHER.

3. Put a dot on the edge of the cap with a marker.

4. Back the cap off of the rod 1 1/2 turns.

5. Thread the jam nut up to the cap, taking care not to move the cap in relation to the rod.

6. Tighten the jam nut to the cap. Do not overtighten the jam nut! Do not use Loctite!

Oil level is 125mm with the springs out and fork collapsed.

If you require any other instruction than this, you aren't qualified to do this job, whether it hurts your feelings or not! :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.