GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Do those of you who live in the northern climates keep your insurance in force all year around? When I was a teen, we only carried insurance for 6 months at a time. My Progressive insurance rep suggests I keep it in force year round, any comments? Do they raise your rates if you drop it and pick it back up in the spring?

Bill

·
Registered
585 Posts
All year long. My insurance provider just came right out and said they'll get their money one way or another. You can divide it by six months, nine months or twelve months, your choice. I thought that was pretty sraight forward. :eek:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
In Maryland, if you cancel your insurance, you must surrender you license plates. Then when you get your insurance again you have to get your bike inspected ($75 +) before you can get your license plates.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I keep mine for a variety of reasons.

One of the big ones is i never know when there will be a few days that I can ride.

I have ridden in every month of the year, so when would I cancel it? I actually may be best cancelling it in July, because I hate .. HATE ... riding in hot and humid weather.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
All year for me. I try to ride all winter when the roads are dry. I always ride on Jan 1 regardless. Some years was just around the block, others were 200 miles. Good warm clothes and heated grips is all you need, right?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Year round for sure...I have tried it both ways and found many of times I wanted to ride in the winter and had no insurance so the bike just sat there.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
For sure you need to keep it insured year round. As JP3 says, you never know when you might be able to ride it during the winter months. And besides, what about possible fire or theft happening during this time, and then you would be out of everything!!! The bottom line is, is saving a few dollars worth maybe losing everything. I don't think so.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I pay my insurance on an annual basis and I have full coverage for 9 months riding and 3 months storage. There is no specification as to what 3 months will be storage. I quizzed my agent on this and he told me it did not matter because they knew at some point the bike would accumulate the 3 months idle during the winter. Works for me.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
If you have a lien on your bike, the question is moot because all lenders require that you have the bike fully insured at all times. (For any questions, check with the lien holder)

If the bike is paid for and there is no lien, you need to find out what the laws are regarding insurance in your State and work with that. And, since State laws regarding insurance vary so much, only those residing in your State can give you any specific information.

G

·
All Boots No Saddle said:
If you have a lien on your bike, the question is moot because all lenders require that you have the bike fully insured at all times. (For any questions, check with the lien holder)
you could cancel/suspend the Liability/medical endorsements on your policy with o problem.
Cancelling the Fire/theft portion would IMHO be a mistake.

As most homeowners insurance will not cove a viehicle, even if its in your garage.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I don't think that the few dollars saved are worth the hassle. In PA you also have to surrender the plate when you drop the insurance, so for me it's 12 months coverage.

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
used to have insurance with what they called a layup period, bike wasn't covered for colision Dec thru Feb

when i got my first 1800 i shopped around for a better insurance deal

found out Geico had a lower price and year round coverage so i been with Geico ever since, right now i have 68 months consecutive riding

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I also ride every month, and my insurance agent told me they only insure for complete years only (Country Companies). Works for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve noticed that insurance seems to be cheaper in the north due to the shorter riding season. In the past I had layaway time with only comp insurance during that time. It appears at least with my current insurance provider that they don’t want the calls to bind coverage for that one or two warm days during the winter so they changed the policy to cover all year. I pay $300 a year for full coverage and no storage/layaway time.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
$300 for full coverage? Please be more specfic. List your coverage amounts. That can be misleading.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts