GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in my eMail today. I seem to remember it from before and that it was a hoax. I am having enough problems with the bike phone (Singular). Comments?

JUST A REMINDER....8 days from today, all cell phone
numbers are being released to telemarketing companies
and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE
CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS.... To prevent this, call the
following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list.
It will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I seem to recall that this is a hoax that first appeared 3 -4 months ago. Others will jump in to confirm, I'm sure.

Greyhound

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The correct way to put your number(s) on the list is to go here:

DO NOT CALL

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray,
As always, you were right on. Thank you very much. Happy riding.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
After the Do not call list came to be....... I started getting fax machines phishing on my home phone. My answer machine is a combo fax/answer unit.

I had to explain to a few companies about their faxes to me . No more ads via the fax machine now

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
wk4bg8s said:
Per the Federal Trade Commission:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.htm

It is illegal :)

I know technically it is illegal but how do tellemarketers know if they are calling a cell phone or a regular land line? Now that you can take your numbers with you, you can't tell. I can turn off my home phone and take that number and put it on a cell phone. Like I said, I know it's illegal but if telemarketing is legal I wonder how they are supposed to know.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
FUSE said:
wk4bg8s said:
Per the Federal Trade Commission:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.htm

It is illegal :)

I know technically it is illegal but how do tellemarketers know if they are calling a cell phone or a regular land line? Now that you can take your numbers with you, you can't tell. I can turn off my home phone and take that number and put it on a cell phone. Like I said, I know it's illegal but if telemarketing is legal I wonder how they are supposed to know.
They are supposed to obtain a list from the FTC every 30 days or so and keep thier databases updated. If a number is on the list they are not supposed to call it. I have gotten in a couple of heated discussions with telemarketers before and they will feed you a whole bunch of BS about how it will take them 6 weeks or 14 days or something to remove your number from thier list. I have found that if you mention the FTC and the website donotcall.gov that the calls stop. Just be sure your numbers are registered.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
LIKETOWATCH said:
I didn't know the off topic board was down.
It is down below this one. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: hmmmmmm.......

Denny said:
I kinda get a kick outta tellin' em to kiss my big red er, uh, well uh you know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jus Kiddin',

Denny
Just tell them you are putting them on hold for a few minutes and just leave them on the phone waiting - seems to work 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts