GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for your information:

4 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls….

YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS……

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

Or you can go on line to www.donotcall.gov and register your phone there.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This is just as URBAN LEGEND. Cell phones are not on the telemarketers database.

I am a consultant for a survey company (the one's that do NOT sell you anything but just do surveys) and they ONLY get numbers from the WIRED companies. The wireless numbers are NOT on that list. And YES survey companies CAN call you even if your on the do not call list. Remember they are NOT selling or promoting any products. Most of them however (and this includes my client) do respect the do not call list and have software that updates almost daily that scans their call list to "flag" the numbers and remove them from the survey listings.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
cell phones

i must have read something different,right on the front page it says you can register your home or mobile (cell) phones,thats good enough for me so i did it.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Dive,

Thanks for info. I registered all three of ours.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
All my phone numbers are all registered; however, I still get calls...including sales calls on my cell phone... and yes, Snopes does regard this as an Urban Legend...but then I am getting calls!! LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Old Urban Legend

Guys, this has been going around for some time. Always saying "In just 4 days" I might add. It is an urban legend. You can read about it here.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

I might add that if you are not familiar with the snopes site, it is a great place to research the "warnings" you get in your email box almost daily. ;)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
S&W Triker said:
All my phone numbers are all registered; however, I still get calls...including sales calls on my cell phone... and yes, Snopes does regard this as an Urban Legend...but then I am getting calls!! LOL
IF you give out your cell phone INSTEAD of your home phone number your will get sell calls. Especially if it someone you did business with in the last 3 years.

One of the reasons I still use a pager - have a computer dial that LOL.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the call. :D

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
And another thing...the telemarketers will NOT leave a message on your voice mail...

Don't PANIC!!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Back in the old days when there were plenty of phone numbers for the FCC to play with you could tell landline or cell even to which cell carrier just by the exchange. So it was easy just don't call these exchanges. With more and more numbers being needed the number of numbers got smaller and smaller. Then local number portability allowed a cell number to be changed to landline and the reverse. Now the telemarketers can't be told don't call these exchanges because they can be missing potential customers. So they have a few rules. Cannot use auto dialers to call cell numbers and must display at least the number if available in area and if possible the name. Found the following on the donotcall website. I however use the if I don't recognize the number I don't answer.
10. Can I register my cell phone on the National Do Not Call Registry?

Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.

You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
gdaddy said:
Back in the old days when there were plenty of phone numbers for the FCC to play with you could tell landline or cell even to which cell carrier just by the exchange. So it was easy just don't call these exchanges. With more and more numbers being needed the number of numbers got smaller and smaller.
I live in the 815 area code of northern IL, and there are so many phone numbers now, that they are adding another area code INSIDE the 815 area, I believe that it's going to be 779. Anyway, starting in Feb., I will have to start dialing ALL 10 numbers, even if I'm calling my neighbor next door. That sux.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
luckyman said:
If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the call. :D
There is only 10 of them man. Are you telling me that you might not
recognize this: bam 7

Herb

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
I live in the 815 area code of northern IL, and there are so many phone numbers now, that they are adding another area code INSIDE the 815 area, I believe that it's going to be 779. Anyway, starting in Feb., I will have to start dialing ALL 10 numbers, even if I'm calling my neighbor next door. That sux.
It's been this way in the Denver metro area for six or seven years now. Ain't no big thang.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Notsluggo said:
Lucky Phil said:
It's been this way in the Denver metro area for six or seven years now. Ain't no big thang.
Thanks....now I feel better. :wink:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
There is no "411" service for cell phones, and the carriers resist any attempts to create them, nor do they provide any help to anyone trying to sell cell phone numbers to telemarkets... They know who will have to deal with the complaints..

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
You'll get used to it, this is the way it has been in Houston for the last 8 to 10 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts