GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I have a bird stuck in the lower vents, but I'm getting almost no air flowing thru. I've thought of taking a garden hose and shooting water from back to front, but would it do any good?

I'm not trying to be critical, I just want better flow thru. My 1500 was pretty good with it's vents.

·
Vendor
17,792 Posts
The front intake is a male and so is the outlet vent. You can look into the front intake around the edges to verify if it is inserted correctly. To verify the outlet vent is inserted correctly, you will probably have to loosen screws under the trim strip and possibly the single nut on that side of the shelter. Often the rear is is not inserted perfect, but even when everything is inserted correctly, they don't work that well. The vent duct itself that runs front to rear is a single piece with no holes, or seems. If you have a bra the air flow is even less.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Drill a hole in the toe of your riding boots. That will give you air flow.

As for the bike, the vents are worthless. And eliminated altogether on the 2012.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Ay Kit...... How about just dragging your boot toes every time you come to a stop? Adds ventilation and saves on brake pads!:joke:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ay Kit...... How about just dragging your boot toes every time you come to a stop? Adds ventilation and saves on brake pads!:joke:
No brakes needed where you live, just an easy dawdling ride through the country and the valleys.

Nicest state I have ever been in. Trees canopy the road, a little gravel , a cow or two.....

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Kit

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. It's too bad, almost everything else on the 1800 is superior (excluding air filter change) in function and form.

·
Vendor
17,792 Posts
Thanks everyone. It's too bad, almost everything else on the 1800 is superior (excluding air filter change) in function and form.
Yeah ... why can I just pull a lever and the whole shelter flip open and pivot from below the headlighs like the engine cover on a Kenworth.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
'01-'05 owners manual calls these "fresh air" ducts and I can attest that they will transfer ambient air from about 18" above the road surface. If the road is hot, you will get hot if not you will get cold. Mine on my '02 are closed in the winter and open in the summer. The upper vents work well too and the air is a bit cooler at 36" above the road even in summer.

'06+ owners manual calls the lowers "warm air" ducts and they are constructed differently in two pieces from those of prior years which had only one as shown. '06+ bikes are also missing the upper vents (#5 & #6) entirely.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've had 2 wings and I've never gotten enough air out of them to make any difference at all.

2W

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
If you remove the ducts/shields behind them - you will.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If the air tunnels were a bit straighter you would get some air..But with every little twist and turn air flow is reduced. This reduction even happens when there is a fan involved...By looking at the pictures of the tunnels no wonder there is no flow....

·
Registered
137 Posts
On my 2010 I get a nice slow flow of warm air when I open the vents. It does make a difference when riding up here in Washington where the weather is frequently below 60F. I use mine all the time. They keep my riding boots nice and warm. Down there in the south it doesn't get cold enough for you guys to need them.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I can detect just a hint of flow with the vents open; helps a tad when the cocpit gets stuffy, and same when you want to keep toasty in 18 degrees. :snow1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts