GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that thinks his clutch is going and ask me if I could find out. He thought maybe just pull the back motor mounts and tilt the engine. I don't have any idea. I am sure one of you would.

·
Registered
501 Posts
BlueWing said:
I have a friend that thinks his clutch is going and ask me if I could find out. He thought maybe just pull the back motor mounts and tilt the engine. I don't have any idea. I am sure one of you would.
how many miles is on it?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
BlueWing,( thinks his clutch is going). Caution your friend that several
who post here have had noises and vibrations from the clutch area
only to be other things. Tilting not doable.
galewing

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve, said he has about 33,000 miles on his bike. He said the dealer already bled the clutch. galewing thanks a million for your smart a$$ answer.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
BlueWing said:
Steve, said he has about 33,000 miles on his bike. He said the dealer already bled the clutch. galewing thanks a million for your smart a$$ answer.
In fear of being told this is also a smart a$$ answer... Yes, by the looks of it, the engine has gotta come out to do the clutch..
Is it slipping or making noise?? If it's slipping, perhaps a bad batch of automotive oil has been introduced??? A couple of flushes with rpoer oil may cure the slipping if that's the case..
If it's noise or vibration, it's more likely the alternator drive..
I've never heard of a clutch on a modern motorcycle failing in 33k unless it's being used for drill team work or otherwise abused...

·
Registered
203 Posts
The service manual says that clutch can be service with engine in the frame. If you need to remove the "CLUTCH OUTER" that is the mention of removing the engine from the frame. Richard

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He never said if it was making any kind of noise. I will ask him next time I talk to him. Thanks for all your help everyone!!!!

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Food for thought....

The clutch springs get assistance from the engine oil pressure, which is used to apply force to the clutch plates. This allows Honda to use lighter clutch springs, so the clutch lever is not so hard to pull.

If the clutch is slipping, he *could* have an oil pressure or oil system problem or a problem with the regulator valve that applies oil pressure to the oil chamber in the clutch. See page 23-3 of the manual.

S

·
0 Posts
Perchance, your friend isn't using a car oil with "lubrication enhancers" , mobil red cap for one , now has this in it ? These additives can potentially make your clutch slip .

Just a thought :roll:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Strider said:
Perchance, your friend isn't using a car oil with "lubrication enhancers" , mobil red cap for one , now has this in it ? These additives can potentially make your clutch slip .

Just a thought :roll:
Mobil One 15w-50 does not have friction modifiers in it and is not marked on the label as "Energy Conserving". It is real easy to tell what automotive oils are safe for use in a bike with a wet clutch, just look for the words "Energy Conserving" stamped on the API seal. If it has those words on it, don't use it.

The 5w-30 and 10w-30 Mobile One oils ARE marked as Energy Conserving, but the 15w-50 Red cap (now changed to Gold Cap) is NOT marked as Energy Conserving. It works just fine in the GL1800 and does not cause the clutch to slip.

·
Registered
553 Posts
clutch ?

hmm my 03 yellow has an automatic transmission ! i dont remeber if i paid extra for it tho..

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have found out it wasn't a clutch problem at all. It was a problem when the clutch fluid was changed. It seems someone didn't get all the air out of the lines. Once the lines were re-flushed out and all of the air was out of the lines the problem went away. He is one happy camper!!! THANK YOU, for all those that gave suggestion's and a special thanks to Fred for all his insight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts