GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added the lower Baker Wings last year to my GW, and I am really glad I did. The main use I make of them is to direct airflow onto me during the hot weather rides. But I also find that they make a nice difference in deflecting cold air when it is cooler temps outside. But what I am wondering about is whether or not the upper Baker wings work well enough to keep hands warmer during cold weather rides, and what they do, if anything, in the hot weather. I have the Kuryakn grips over the stock heated grips, and it seems not much heat comes through even when set on Max. Wearing heavy gloves does help, but after an hour or so of riding in even mid 50's temps my hands feel like they are freezing. I am wondering if upper Baker wings would make much of a difference for my hands.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think the do in a small part, seems the real problem is your Kuryakn grips over the stock grips.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The overgrips may be the problem. But for the first two years of owning the GW I just used foam "grip puppies" which started to deteriorate after a short time. The stock grips are just too thin and hard and seemed weird when I first bought the Goldwing. I found them very uncomfortable and like the looks of the Kuryakn grips which seemed to be very popular with GW owners so I bought them. I would consider electric heated gloves or glove inserts but the hassle of hooking and unhooking every time I get on or off the bike or need to take off a glove, etc. seems just too much hassle. And I guess if I just wait another couple of weeks more, the outside temps will be enough that I will start worrying about my hands being too hot instead of too cold.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The upper Baker wings seem to help. I put mine on in 2007 and they make a big difference. But since my Dr put me on blood thinners a year or so ago I find the use of heated gloves my redemption for riding. For years Ive had grip puppies on my grips as I found the Kurys just suck up too much heat. My son for this last christmas got me a set of heated battery powered gloves for snowblowing and such during these Chicago winters. So Im going to try these on the wing this year. Just running them on low almost makes my hands too warm so we'll see this year.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
For the 2001 - 2017 Wing, the upper Baker Wings that attach to the mirrors definitely do make a big difference.
When I first I first installed mine, I made a early morning ride to work. Just 15 miles, but it was 38 degrees out. I closed the wings and wore my summer cloves just to see.
My hands got just chilly! And later with my lady with me she told me they made a big difference with cold wind hitting her thighs.
In warm weather I open them. I don not have the lower Baker wings. In most all conditions I feel I don't really need those. But the upper mirror wings are a must in my opinion.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I use the mirror mounted wings on the 03 and like them. They block the direct wind from my hands making morning rides a little better, and as mentioned above, the wife is happier as well. During warmer weather, I'll open them up, which provides a nice breeze directly on me. Makes riding in the heat a lot more comfortable.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments. I have enjoyed having the lower air wings a lot, so I think I will go ahead and add the upper wings for my hands. I'll post my impressions afterwards.

Reactions: revrunt and Dougbug

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Sounds like your heated grips are not working properly, and that’s a very common complaint. Do you also have a heated seat ? What year is your wing ?
When turned on high your grips should get almost to hot to hold onto for long.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I assume by upper you are referring to the hand wings that mount to the mirrors?
I had them on my 2003 and every Goldwing since.
Yes, they do help a lot in both winter and summer.
In our case they also helped my wife by reducing turbulence that was beating her up before I added them.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like your heated grips are not working properly, and that’s a very common complaint. Do you also have a heated seat ? What year is your wing ?
When turned on high your grips should get almost to hot to hold onto for long.
My GW is a 2016 ABS. I use a beadrider seat cover on the seat, so while I know the seat warmer is working, it takes quite awhile for any heat to reach my butt. My grips certainly do not get hot. After a two hour ride yesterday, when I took off my gloves both grips felt warm, but not hot. Maybe when I bring the bike in I will ask the mechanic to check that out for me as well as any other work I need to have done.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Best $50 you can spend on wing accessories. Closing them helps keep the wind off your hands and body, opening them directs air to help cool you on warm days. My wife will say "Open the windows" when she wants more air directed at her.

The heated grips is why I didn't get Kuryakan grips and instead went with foam grips. They added the needed diameter to the original grips and I still get the heat.

I don't see a hassle with heated gloves. Plugging them in only adds 3 seconds each before slipping them over the hands. Those, along with the heated jacket liner, made my ride from Phoenix to Arkansas last week in temps of 30s and 40s very comfortable.

I had the lower Baker Wings on my '06 but finally took them off because I kept kicking them and breaking the tiny plastic screws. Didn't care for the look either.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have and ever so slightly prefer the National Cycle version of the Hand/Mirror Wings. I've had both. My preference is based on how they maintain their position; ratchet (NC) vs tension (B). The value to me is the ability to direct air at me during the warmer months and the reduced buffeting that they provide to my passenger (that'd be my better half). I can't say if they provide any real benefit in cooler weather as I didn't have any complaints in that department prior to installing them. Between the heated grips and a pair of electric gloves I was and remain OK. OTOH I've had the mirror wings now for so long, I can't really remember what it was like without them.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Upper wings

I have the National wings and I think they help a significant amount. I not only am on blood thinners, but also have diabetes so I am relatively sensitive to low temperatures. I think they not only keep air off my hands, they also minimize the wind on my sleeves. I tend to keep mine with the back of the wing pointing full out until the temps get to around 75 degrees. That tends to make the air "bubble" behind the fairing a little larger. When it gets warmer, I straighten the wings to line up with air flow. In most situations, I also tend to slightly open the windshield vent to reduce the partial vacuum behind the windshield.

On both my 2009, I give the Wings a big thumbs up for wind control. .

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I added the lower Baker Wings last year to my GW, and I am really glad I did. The main use I make of them is to direct airflow onto me during the hot weather rides. But I also find that they make a nice difference in deflecting cold air when it is cooler temps outside. But what I am wondering about is whether or not the upper Baker wings work well enough to keep hands warmer during cold weather rides, and what they do, if anything, in the hot weather. I have the Kuryakn grips over the stock heated grips, and it seems not much heat comes through even when set on Max. Wearing heavy gloves does help, but after an hour or so of riding in even mid 50's temps my hands feel like they are freezing. I am wondering if upper Baker wings would make much of a difference for my hands.
I have the Kury grips as you do and I agree that they don’t allow much heat to come through. My used wing came with them and I’m just too lazy to change them. Besides I like the larger diameter of the grips.
I have the National Cycle mirror wings and I agree with the others that they are a great accessory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts