1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Ebay heightens security

Online auction site eBay heightens security precautions as fraud mounts

Jan 18 9:33 AM US/Eastern

RACHEL KONRAD

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Executives at eBay Inc. are touting security as their top priority in 2007 after an internal survey showed that online scammers may be denting the company's reputation.
The San Jose, Calif.-based online auction company began a program last year to safeguard members' identities by concealing their user names on expensive listings. That measure could make it harder for con artists to contact losing bidders and goad them into "second-chance offers," where customers wire cash to the scammers' accounts.

Engineers also want to reduce counterfeit items and clamp down on scams between buyers and sellers from different countries, said William Cobb, president of eBay North America.

"It's no secret that online criminals who target sites like eBay and PayPal have grown in number and sophistication over time," Cobb said in comments posted Wednesday to an eBay forum.

"Where we've historically put an emphasis on transparency and free choice, today the security threats are more complex, and we're more actively protecting our buyers from fraud."

Representatives are also sending nasty e-mails to sellers who charge egregious shipping and handling fees. eBay reduced the average shipping cost in the "cellphones" category by 25 per cent since last summer, Cobb said.

The emphasis on security enhancements - billed as the most important initiative in the company's 12-year history - comes as senior eBay executives host the site's top 250 sellers at closed-door meetings this week in Burlingame. Entrepreneurs attending the second annual E- Commerce Forum sold seven million items worth $1.5 billion in 2006.

So-called "power sellers" have expressed concern - and have threatened to go to other sites - over concerns that eBay has been slow to combat fraud.

eBay says less than 100th of one per cent of the listings on its website are fraudulent. But even by that conservative measure, 58,300 auctions may have been fraudulent in one three-month period. More than 583 million items were listed in the third quarter of 2006.

More concerning, fraud disproportionately strikes high-end categories such as automobiles, electronics and jewelry. There's no reliable way to estimate how much is lost to con artists on eBay, where $12.64 billion in merchandise exchanged hands in the third quarter.

Spokesman Hani Durzy said the company is targeting all scammers - from petty thieves to organized crime syndicates.

"We're never going to completely stop the bad guys from using the Internet, but we do know that negative experiences are a major reason people leave eBay - and they pass along word of mouth to other people," Durzy said. "In 2007, you'll see a sea change in our approach to trust and safety."

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I just hope, that my security is not in Jeopardy, for I have purchased there! PayPal, so far has been Good! HDL, also, so far has been GOOD! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
DIRECT LINE

yup i sent hal a bunch of money during the holiday sale,felt safe doin so,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I don't believe EBay.. I have never opened an account (pay-pal) .. i bid once on a offroad bike... after the bidding was over..i received an offer
from the seller to buy the bike because of the high bidder could not come up with the funds... but NOT THRU EBAY.. I tried to contact Ebay about it..
and they NEVER answered me.. the seller wanted me to buy it directly from him.. so I won't ever attempt to buy anything off Ebay again...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I believe they do want to limit the scammers. Why would they not want to? Whether or not they can be successful is another issue. I have bought and sold stuff on ebay for the last several years with absolutely no problem. I have gotten some great deals and sold things at what I considered a fair price. Be aware and if a deal is too good to be true, it is.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Sure, I believe them. Got a bridge to sell?

But they are likely making a big PR showing to try to keep the word 'ebay' from becoming synonymous with 'scam'.

They will at least publicise it to keep their image from going into the toilet.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Anyone for a 2005 ABS Black Goldwing with 1,200 miles for $4,800.00??

Ebay has em almost daily!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
If one uses common sense on Ebay-not bidding on to low of prices etc- you'll be fine. Most scams are easy to spot after you know the market of what you're buying.

I've used Ebay-Paypal for several years buying and selling- Never any problems

Use your credit card when using Paypal if you don't like transfering cash.. Your credit card also protects you against fraud.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Yeah, a meeting with their top 250 sellers will do a LOT of good. The #4 seller has a satisfaction score of ~85%! More than one out of ten people dissatisfied? I'd say the boot is the cure for them!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Most scammers depend on internet users' naivity or ignorance. I get at least one email per week from a bank or credit card telling me that I need to update my account by clicking on the "link". They say that someone has tried to use my account and I need to change my security settings.

When I look at the properties of the email their source is almost always in Asia or Africa. Of course, it's usually from a bank or credit card I don't do business with. But, if these thieves send out a million emails and 1,000 people do business with that bank and 100 fall for the password scam, then they will clean out the account of 100 people out of one million. Don't be one of that 100.

Never, ever give sensitive information to anyone in response to an email. If it is legitimate, go to the website in question by your usual means (example: www.ebay.com) and input the information there.

Those second chance eBay scams are very likely not from the seller, just a parasite who's tagging along for the ride and saw that you bid on the item. eBay has recently changed their method so that you can no longer see the actual bidders identity. This is a good step.

Paypal is the safest way to make a purchase on eBay. It protects you against a fraudulent seller. JMO. :D

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
As far as Paypal I do believe them. I bought something on Ebay when I was in Australia this past December. It threw up red Flags, they froze the account as well as the money they took out of my account to pay for the item. I couldnt free it up until I came home and verified my account from my home phone as well as answering several security questions. It was a complete pain the ass and I was quite upset due to I feel in my case it never should have been blocked. I travel to dozens of countries every year and buy abroad from diff hotels (ip addresses). Under the circumstances and my having made them aware of this it should not have been blocked. On the other hand I have to commend them for sticking to their guns. I just hope in my case I have made the appropriate changes to save myself the headaches in the future.

For me based on what I have experianced with Paypal I do Believe they are making every effort to make Ebay and Paypal as safe as possible. Its a no brainer, its a publically traded company and stock holders demand it.

There are much easier ways for people to get your money. How many of you walk back with the waitress when you give up your CC at any resturant. They can make a copy in a split second as well as obtain the security code all while you finish your coffee and not give it a second thought.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Anyone for a 2005 ABS Black Goldwing with 1,200 miles for $4,800.00??

Ebay has em almost daily!!!!
Technically, eBay doesn't have them, scammers have them listed on eBay. I've done a lot of business on eBay over the years, and have found eBay and PayPal to both be very conscientious in their business dealings. Of all the bejillion items listed on eBay, there will always be some scammers that have slipped through. But, if you use common sense, and have your PayPal account linked to a credit card, you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I purchased a 2 Gigabyte Sandisk Compact Flash card on Ebay. After I got it, I discovered that it was "counterfeit". I notified Ebay that this individual was selling counterfeit cards and they acted like they didn't care. As long as they get their percentage of the sale.. they're happy!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
mattcaswell said:
I purchased a 2 Gigabyte Sandisk Compact Flash card on Ebay. After I got it, I discovered that it was "counterfeit". I notified Ebay that this individual was selling counterfeit cards and they acted like they didn't care. As long as they get their percentage of the sale.. they're happy!
ditto

8)

·
Registered
692 Posts
My wife's company does a lot of business on ebay and most of the problem is paypal. Like some of you have said, paypal can be a pain in the a$$ to deal with. They hold funds way over due and take days to credit it to your account way after its clear. Ebay has double charge her for listings (every time they are caught, they say they are working on the software problem to stop that), keep raising the fees for power users. If you are a power seller with them, the accounting part is a nightmare to track with their system. Then add Paypal with their bogus chargebacks over fake claims.

Yes crooks have enter it from both directions, fake products sellers, to rip off customers on the other end. After six years of doing business with them all my wife has heard is " WE ARE WORKING ON IT".

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Ebay heightens security
Representatives are also sending nasty e-mails to sellers who charge egregious shipping and handling fees. eBay reduced the average shipping cost in the "cellphones" category by 25 per cent since last summer, Cobb said.
If I have this right, this part about shipping and handling fees is pretty funny.
Ebay charges their fees based on the listing and selling prices of items.
The slippery sellers offer things at Buy-it-now" prices of 99 cents and then charge $35 for S&H.
Thus, they stiff ebay for the fees on $36 sales.
No wander ebay wants to lean on the those "egregious shipping and handling fees". :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
not a big ebayer but have bought about a dozen items on ebay and all at very reasonable prices, not one problem

if it wasn't for this board and reading about the ebay-paypal scams i would have probably been scammed a few times by now, THANKS FOR MAKING ME AWARE FOLKS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Do You Believe Them

I believe them about as much as I believe the Democrats and their "100 Hours" bait and switch scam.

Ebay is no different than any other online company. It is just as prone to the crafty hacker as any other. All they can do is install safeguards and hope their customers take the appropriate precautions. They are saying this to keep customers from running away scared. Positive Spin.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
As an eBay power seller / buyer I have a drawer full of forged checks. My email box is full of scam offers and phishing attempts. Security really boils down to user beware. Never use email directly only email through ebay, Verify checks through the banks to make sure they are real, (Personal checks are the best and I prefer them over MO or Cashers) Check feedback when buying - common sense stuff
Ebay causes much of their own problems as ebay does not own any phones, it is imposible to actually call anyone so all disputes or concerns are done via email or forms and if you do call you get some person in Egypt or who knows that know nothing except - "have a nice day"
I have not been stung in the 5 years I have been on ebay but came close a few times.
Did you know you can actually open one new seller account per day without a credit card or real address? You can then sell and collect payment and never ship - and do this every day! check out the feed back on people who sell cell phones (stolen cell phones that is) most have 0 feedback and create the accounts as they sell.

If eBay really wishes to curtail scams they will need to buy some phones and take some calls. They will have to tighten user creation and invest some money in security improvements. They need to take a good look at companies like Microsoft which has over 60,000 people answering phones and solving problems.
What ebay really needs is - COMPETITION

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
You finally hit it, Storm! I would like to see a bona fide competitor to EBay...

all the others wax and wane, but have not been able to really put a dent in their monopoly...nor has there been any true competitor to emerge...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts