Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only After the Engine Has Seized :-(

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chard Member
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I never check my oil between 5,000+ mile changes. Am I normal? LOL!! :D I watch for oil consumption the first few thousand miles, but after that I know to trust it.

TIA.....

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I check mine about twice a month. No choice in the poll for that.

G

·
0 Posts
Just checked all fluids before putting it in the enclosed trailer for it's 100 mile trip to Marble Falls.

G

·
0 Posts
...in the enclosed trailer for it's 100 mile trip to Marble Falls.
As someone who's bike is sitting in a trailer (with about 8" of fresh snow on top) I'm sure there must be a reason for this? j/k :oops:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah Tourist, I'm sure there's a reason for Red to post this while we wait for 8 more inches of snow.
Maybe he's trying to help us northerners thru our tough time. :twisted:

Joy

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
you're suspost to check the oil? :shock:

actually I have checked it once since new and the wing is coming up on it'sfirst 4000 mile service. Since I ride almost every day, and it is new...the low oil pressure light would get my attention. :22yikes:

only 90 today....sigh.....

·
Registered
819 Posts
I checked mine after 5000 miles on a long trip and it hadn't used any so since then I stopped worrying about it. 40,000 miles on it now

·
Registered
894 Posts
I checked after a 1,000 mile trip last summer, and it was down app. 5 ounces but I had a total of 6000 miles, since the last oil change. Is this considered normal or do any of you think I may have a problem here ????? :?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Sir Rog said:
I checked after a 1,000 mile trip last summer, and it was down app. 5 ounces but I had a total of 6000 miles, since the last oil change. Is this considered normal or do any of you think I may have a problem here ????? :?
If it isn't down to the lower line on the dipstick, then there is no reason to add oil. If it doesn't make it to the lower line betwen changes, then I wouldn't worry at all. Every engine uses some oil.... some just use more than others.

Stop worrying.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If I remember correctly, it was at least at the bottom line on the dipstick, if not slightly lower. However, in 25,000 miles it was the first time I had to add any oil between changes. Perhaps there were other factors that came into play.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Joy, the last winter I lived in Reading PA, actually Jacksonwald area, we had 34 inches of snow from a blizzard and a total of 85 inches for the year. I had just retired that winter so I moved to FL and now ride all year. I do wear my Reading Eagle/Times Blizzard of '96 shirt every once in awhile to remind myself of that white stuff I grew to hate. Only downside is I have to check my oil about twice a month down here :wink: -- Sue

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I hit a rock or something and got a little oil leak up around the filter. After that, whenever I would check the oil it would be low, or something. I got tired of adding oil all the time, so I got a dip stick with a longer dipper on it and it now she goes a little farther before the oil won't show on the stick. I also noticed that it helped when I changed the side stand over to the right side and cut just a little off the side stand to make it lean more; that helps keep the oil up on the dip stick a little longer too. Even though it leaks a bit on the floor, the bike don't seem to lose too much oil now. I used to ride Harleys and ya learn how to be a good mechanic like me when you do that!

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

prs :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I change oil / filter and final drive every 4K miles. I check level before and after work performed. Only fluid I've ever had to add to my 'Wing is gas!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sue, Jacksonwald!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my best friends lived there years ago. I'll be coming to Fla the beginning of May, we should ride together while I'm there. Along with all the other great people from Fla. (and you know who you are.) Joy

·
Registered
370 Posts
oil check

I bought a used 1800 in Phoenix.I checked it before driving to Boston last week,went 3700 miles Havn't checked it yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts