GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not those balls. I'm talking about the ball on the hitch. It would seem to me that a coating of heavy grease would let the hitch swivel a bit easier and make for smoother towing.

Anyone tried it or anything like it?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just returned from a 2500 mile trip around Lake Superior and I used wax paper. Just fold a piece over 3-4 times and place it on top of the ball before hooking up the trailer. Works great and not as messy as grease. No wear at all on the chrome trailer hitch ball.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
That's the wife's job...she greases the ballz while I check the oil and tires!:coffee1:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been using waxed paper for a couple of years now because I got sick of the mess left by vasoline etc.

I just keep a role of the waxed paper in the trailer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Grease attracts grit which will scratch your balls and leave marks. Sort of like when you drop the jelly side while you are making your PBJ it always lands jelly side down.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you'd grease more often, you wouldn't have rustydust. :joke:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't use grease it's just to messy. I like to powder my Balls. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wax paper, No mess. Tom :biker:
Have never heard of using Wax paper. Is it as easy as it sounds? Please explain.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have never heard of using Wax paper. Is it as easy as it sounds? Please explain.
I tried it today. I took a small sheet of wax paper and folded it into quarters aprox 4" square. I held that in place on top of the ball and then just set the hitch on top of it. After making sure (natch) that the hitch was locked I took it for a short ride and was quickly impressed how much smoother the trailer pulled. Tomorrow I am leaving a two day ride and towing my trailer for the first time. I will be using the wax paper and think that I may be using it from now on as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Next time you are in a doughnut shop rip off a box of those precut wax paper sheets. It will last you about 96,930 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tried it today. I took a small sheet of wax paper and folded it into quarters aprox 4" square. I held that in place on top of the ball and then just set the hitch on top of it. After making sure (natch) that the hitch was locked I took it for a short ride and was quickly impressed how much smoother the trailer pulled. Tomorrow I am leaving a two day ride and towing my trailer for the first time. I will be using the wax paper and think that I may be using it from now on as well.
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try. Last few trips I have noticed the trailer doesn't feel as smooth behind the bike. Have also noticed a lack of chrome plating on the forward side of the ball. Maybe the wax paper will help.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I like to use dryer sheets. They usually last several days. The material feels like Teflon and there is a light film of some oily feeling goop. I toss a couple in a zip-loc bag before every trip and swap them out after 4-5 days. Easy and quick to change plus you dont have the greasy goop all over the ball and hitch. I fold them 1-2 times, place on top of the ball and let the hitch fall in place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, not those balls. I'm talking about the ball on the hitch. It would seem to me that a coating of heavy grease would let the hitch swivel a bit easier and make for smoother towing.

Anyone tried it or anything like it?
Yes, I think it helps.
I put a light coat of Hi-Temp bearing grease on my hitch.
I've use vasoline as well when I didn't have the grease handy.:?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Have used wax paper for thousand of miles. It works great easy install and no mess. :yes1:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have to admit that the wax paper is a new trick to me. I had never heard of it before, but plan on using it next time out with the trailer.

Thanks for the great info on these boards.

marc:clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
This thread is gonna be a popular as a 'crush-washer' thread,... ain't it? :coffee1:

Thanks Rusty, I gatta try it.....
thecruiser

1 - 20 of 26 Posts