GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We, wife and I, use a cargo trailer on every ride that lasts longer than one day. The trailer makes life pretty easy when the wife is involved however when I see other couples out for long rides sans trailer it makes me envious for the way it used to be....a little lighter and more free feeling. I almost feel like I'm now married to the trailer!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Desires change.
Needs change.

Can I make a trip without tools? Of course. Do I want to risk being stranded for 12 hours or more waiting for a tow truck when all I needed were some sockets... course not.

Do I like having to depend of "the system" or do you think I prefer to depend on myself and use "the system" as a backup plan?

I have a ton of miles behind me and I am looking forward to a ton of miles in front of me. I sleep better at night knowing I am prepared for whatever lies in front of me.

If the trip is do-able without the trailer (meaning I am solo and the bike is stuffed) then rock on. If I am going for more than a couple of days and I know I am going to be in the stix a bit... I will pull the trailer. That's why I got the durn thing.

Yes, the days when we knew everything and thought we could ride, and didn't care about sleeping on the ground are behind us. My body tells me what it wants and it does not want. The trailer allows me to keep the safety margin with me while not bogging down the bike.

I am pro cargo trailer.

I am also pro motorcycle HAULING trailer under certain conditions:
...Health and heat is an issue
...Areas to be traveled are known for wicked weather
...Time crunch leaving no room for error with broken down wing. (True the truck/trailer can also break down but less issues this way.)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Haven't used mine yet but going to next weekend if my bike is fixed fronm the accident.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
If the wife and I are over one day we take the trailer. There is nothing I am going to do on the bike that can't be done with the trailer attached. Other than parking it in town it is a win win situation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Totally Agree

Desires change.
Needs change.

Can I make a trip without tools? Of course. Do I want to risk being stranded for 12 hours or more waiting for a tow truck when all I needed were some sockets... course not.

Do I like having to depend of "the system" or do you think I prefer to depend on myself and use "the system" as a backup plan?

I have a ton of miles behind me and I am looking forward to a ton of miles in front of me. I sleep better at night knowing I am prepared for whatever lies in front of me.

If the trip is do-able without the trailer (meaning I am solo and the bike is stuffed) then rock on. If I am going for more than a couple of days and I know I am going to be in the stix a bit... I will pull the trailer. That's why I got the durn thing.

Yes, the days when we knew everything and thought we could ride, and didn't care about sleeping on the ground are behind us. My body tells me what it wants and it does not want. The trailer allows me to keep the safety margin with me while not bogging down the bike.

I am pro cargo trailer.

I am also pro motorcycle HAULING trailer under certain conditions:
...Health and heat is an issue
...Areas to be traveled are known for wicked weather
...Time crunch leaving no room for error with broken down wing. (True the truck/trailer can also break down but less issues this way.)

Good posting...I believe you are right on with your reply!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I really struggle with this question.

I have a nice trailer (Hannigan Sierra) that pulls great, looks good and doesn't bounce. I bought it last spring and have towed it on 4 or 5 trips including Americade and Wing Ding, and a few other trips that crossed several state lines.

It is convenient to have along because of all the stuff it holds and you can take all your riding gear off and stow it easily, carry a cooler , etc etc.

But.......when it is loaded, it is a load.

I see guys post all the time ....."I don't even know it is back there" and all I can say to that is.......pure BS! I feel it EVERY time I slow down quickly or stop. Coming back from wing ding, I was rolling through West Virginia on a misty morning with wet roads in the up and down twisties and I had to run a LOT slower knowing the trailer was there .....especially in those down hill switchbacks on a wet road. Even when I am rolling down the slab at 75 or 80, I am always aware of not getting into a tight situation due to the additional distance I need to stop......or scrub off speed quickly for any reason. Pulling a loaded trailer safely requires a completely different concentration level and riding style than riding without. Sometimes it is worth the hassle, sometimes it is not.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Morphs Wiki ride in WV for 4 days and only took the Packit Rack for my Wife and I and had a much better time on the way there and back.

So for me it is a toss up......If I am going somewhere to stay for a few days and "day ride" I will pull it and leave it at the hotel until the return trip but if I am traveling and will be a different place each night, and have to pull it continuously, I may leave it. For me, packing lighter and leaving the cooler is a fair price to pay for having a lot more nimble vehicle and a much more enjoyable ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I pull mine if it makes the wife happy! :thumbup: It really don't matter to me.

It's easier to attach trailer than to figure out how to get everything in the bike. :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I tow a small camper(Mini-Mate) on every touring trip and we use it four nights out of five. Saves a ton of money on lodging(heck we camp for 6 bucks a night and sometimes free) and we like camping. Once in awhile we'll camp at a KOA and catch up on laundry. The trailer has already paid for itself with lodging savings. It is a win situation for sure. Yeah at times I get a little tired of it being back there but not often and for me it really does not affect the handling of the bike much at all.

I was always one of those riders that said I would never tow a trailer, so much for never.:thumbup:

Fred

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The bike wasn't designed to pull a trailer. If you want to do that, it's your bike and your call. I have a truck and an SUV, so, no need for a trailer.

2W

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I really struggle with this question. I was rolling through West Virginia on a misty morning with wet roads in the up and down twisties and I had to run a LOT slower knowing the trailer was there .....especially in those down hill switchbacks on a wet road.

Pulling a loaded trailer safely requires a completely different concentration level and riding style than riding without. Sometimes it is worth the hassle, sometimes it is not.

For me, packing lighter and leaving the cooler is a fair price to pay for having a lot more nimble vehicle and a much more enjoyable ride. :thumbup:
Wet roads - you did not HAVE to run a LOT slower. That is a lack of experience pulling your trailer and a lack of confidence in the tires (both bike and trailer).

I do not agree that you have to change your riding style. Adjust your braking distance and that's about it.

Then again, I have over 150,000 miles pulling this trailer so I am comfortable with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXt0KwmwP1Y

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The bike wasn't designed to pull a trailer. If you want to do that, it's your bike and your call. I have a truck and an SUV, so, no need for a trailer.

2W
Yep I hear ya as I have a truck and a 24' toyhauler also, but I love my little guy camper behind the Goldwing on a touring trip as it's about36-40MPG versus 9-10MPG:thumbup: The toyhauler is for down south in the winter. Ya gotta love it. The Goldwing pulls my trailer without effort. Many 1000 miles pulling my camper.

Like ya said we make our own choices and enjoy. Ride safe.
Fred

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
We, wife and I, use a cargo trailer on every ride that lasts longer than one day. The trailer makes life pretty easy when the wife is involved however when I see other couples out for long rides sans trailer it makes me envious for the way it used to be....a little lighter and more free feeling. I almost feel like I'm now married to the trailer!
I am OLD school, if it don't fit on the bike it don't go!!!!!!!!!!
I have taken 9-11 day trips with wife on her her bike and me on mine plus two kids and NEVER once needed a trailer, if we saw something we wanted to buy we shipped it home via UPS or Fed-Ex, you just have to learn how to pack and what is and is not necessary. While I relaize some people may disagree with me it is the reason I ride the bike on a trip to be unemcumbered by anything.. hope you find a way to compromise..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Wet roads - you did not HAVE to run a LOT slower. That is a lack of experience pulling your trailer and a lack of confidence in the tires (both bike and trailer).

I do not agree that you have to change your riding style. Adjust your braking distance and that's about it.

Then again, I have over 150,000 miles pulling this trailer so I am comfortable with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXt0KwmwP1Y

You are probably right DJ.....I think I have a good feel for rolling downhill is tight twisties, two up on wet roads and I will always slow down a bit on wet roads vs dry. With a loaded trailer under the same conditions I will roll even slower because I am very aware of the potential of having the trailer push my rear end while braking.

But then I have less than 10k miles under my belt pulling a trailer and am still learning where my limits are with a trailer......

·
Registered
731 Posts
I leave my trailer at home most of the time.

I do carry a set of tools in my bike and a small air compressor with or without the trailer. If I am going on a trip I always take the trailer.

Umless you have a Tailwind that is properly outfitted with their on-board battery and air compressor it makes no since to tow a trailer 100% of the time. Unfortunatly for me I do not have those options so therefore I do not tow mine unless I am headed out on medium or longer trips.

If anyone can help me purchase and install them I would greatly appreciate it.
Kind regards,

Dale

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If we are going on a trip longer than a day, we usually pull the trailer. I can hardly tell it's there, except for the extra bump we feel when we go over a seam or ramp, etc. Besides, my golf clubs fit in there!

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Short trips or long hauls, I never leave home without my trailer.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Short trips or long hauls, I never leave home without my trailer.

Just curious.....for you guys that never unhook your trailer, do you have to back it out of the garage every time and turn it around? Pull through....maybe?

My driveway is somewhat slanted and it is no simple task to get it in the garage and then out and turned around with the cars in the drive way, etc.

Would think you guys might have more room to maneuver than I do......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts