GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when I ride the bike, if I start it and then after about 30 - 60 seconds drive it slowly for the first mile or so, the transmission doesn't shift like it should.
Could it be the bike needs to warm up, or maybe it needs time to get the oil circulated?
Do you let your bike warm up?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I start it before I put on my gear. I let it warm-up 'till the first temperature light comes on. Only a minute or two is needed on a warm day.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I've noticed that when I ride the bike, if I start it and then after about 30 - 60 seconds drive it slowly for the first mile or so, the transmission doesn't shift like it should.
Could it be the bike needs to warm up, or maybe it needs time to get the oil circulated?

Have you done the DCT reset?:smile2:

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I let the bike warm up 2-3 minutes while I sync the BT system

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I let my DCT run for 30-45 seconds, rev the engine a few times and then slowly drive off.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I don't really warm her up too much, but I do take it easy until I see at least one bar on the temp gauge.

Reactions: gkarasik and Art H.

·
Love The DCT
12,017 Posts
What do you mean by “The transmission doesn’t shift like it should?”
:shrug:

The oil has been circulated through the engine and tranny a few times in the 30 to 60 seconds before you drive off. On my 01 wing, the owner’s manual recommendation was to wait till the temp gage needle moved up to the “C” mark before riding off. On a warm day, that happens within 1 to 2 minutes.

I do the same thing hulkss does; start the bike and put on the riding gear. By that time the first segment is illuminated on the temp gage. Hop on the bike and ride off.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
I do not warm it up. I get my stuff together, hit the seat, start it up, put it in gear and go. No problems.

prs

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know that I should warm up my Goldwing but unfortunately in Germany it isn't allowed to warm up a vehicle by law

·
Registered
581 Posts
I generally start the bike while I'm still gearing up - strapping the helmet on, initiating the BT headset connection procedure, etc., so by the time I get on to back out of the garage, the bike has warmed some. Never noticed any difference in shifting. I have performed the Clutch Initialization Procedure once. Couple of us went for a ride on the 1st. Around 200 miles for the day with a stop at the Smoke House restaurant in Monteagle, TN for lunch. It was overcast/misty, cool (40's-50's early, low 60's later). The only thing I noticed is the DCT did not shift down going up hills/mountains on curvy roads exactly when I wanted it to. So I had to resort to manual shifting on those curves to keep up with the crazy boys I was riding with (FJR dudes that like to run harder than I do these days). I kinda liked the way manual shifting worked on those curves with the hand controls.

If nothing else, do the CIP and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
warm it up for 2 minutes for the first run of the day and drive it easy until 3 bars show. after this for the second or more starts of the day its start, put in gear and drive away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't warm up my bike or my honda car. They both run fine. By the time you hit the garage door openerer/closer, oil has been in the top end for a long time. The tyranny is always immersed.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
I rarely warm up my bike. I ride off within seconds after I start the bike most times...I just go easy for the first mile...same with my car.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I start the bike, put on my helmet and gloves and drive off in Rain mode for a few miles, seems to work just fine in warm and cool temps.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
998 Posts
A warm up is not needed if you limit rpm while the engine oil is below about 170F. i'm talkin oil temp, not coolant temp. Many new sports cars have a rev limiter based on oil temperature that is active during warm up. Don't "rev" a cold engine.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mine warms up as I'm riding it for about a mile thru my neighborhood at 30 - 35 mph. Once I hit the main road, IT IS ON!!!

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
Like others here, I was taught to drive a vehicle gently until it reaches operating temperature, that letting it idle until it "warms up" is a waste of fuel and time. I would like to know if what I was taught was/is wrong. What do people who advocate "warming up" a modern vehicle think that this accomplishes that driving it gently does not? IOW, what are the supposed benefits of warming up a modern vehicle?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts