GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I look just over the top, it blows the wind just over my helmet and insures I can still see if the windshield frosts up, or bugs mess it up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Through it. Except on extremely rare occasions, I ride with the shield on my FF Helmet raised and/or positioned as a Sun Visor (Gaffers Tape on bottom 1”-2” of the shield). So, other than my sun glasses (or at night, clear Safety Glasses) there is only one sheet of plastic between me and the road ahead.

Reactions: Oakseed

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I've been reading about windshields lately, and it's kinda got me thinking..... I read about riders that don't like to look through it, and enjoy them lower so that they look over it..
and then there's other's, that love the shield high, so they have to look through it ........
Myself I like a high shield, and enjoy looking through it....I feel that the higher it is the least amount of wind blowing on you..OR WHEN RIDING IN RAINY CONDITIONS, IT KEEPS THE WATER OFF YOU.. I did order my shield with an air vent already installed, which I believe was a great investment for riding in hot weather conditions and OR when starting to fall asleep while riding, It help to keep me awake with the air blowing in my face..

So what is your preference:::: High OR Low

Ronnie
11/21/21
Over with a full face helmet, I learned the hardway looking through with anytype of helmet in the rain, Impossible.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800HPNA Dark Metallic Red
65 Posts
I have a National Cycle Quantum Special Edition windscreen (on it when I bought it). I'm 5' 6" and would like to look over it but, when it's at it's lowest position, the top edge is right in my line of sight. Plus, I get some buffeting at that setting. So, I ride with it all they way up and look through it. The vent in the windshield keeps me cool. I ride with my helmet screen up most of the time and it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
375 Posts
OVER, but just barely. Sometimes I end up looking over the windshield but through the visor depending on how the visor is adjusted, which depends on the temperature and weather

·
Registered
204 Posts
I prefer looking over the edge by about 3" when using a windshield (currently have an LRS). I used to have an F4+4 and it didn't matter either way with the clarity it provides. Driving my 2004 Trike into the ground before I pull the trigger on another Wing, but do like the idea of the adjuster. F4 Customs also makes the windshield for the newer ones. That would be my choice for the future

·
Registered
17 Posts
100% over. I can't stand looking at crap on the windshield. (in car or on bike). Plus there are times when it would be IMPOSSIBLE to ride if I was not looking over.
Helmet Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting Idiophone

On my old 1500 with a Madstad crossing the U.P. of Michigan last summer. Total of 1 bug ended up on my face shield and looked over the entire time. The bugs were so thick the windshield was opaque, it was like 1/4" of bugs and guts.
I have a Madstad on my 1800 too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Good point on the bugs... After a day of riding through bug infested areas, they do gather (splatter) quite a bit on the windshield and only so much can be done during a fueling stop. It's best taken care of fully at the end of the day. However it gets to be a bit tricky if you are still traveling heading west late in the afternoon as sun is setting. Almost impossible sometimes to look through the windshield because of the glare and just one more reason I look over the top.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts