GL1800Riders Forums banner

Do You Overload Your Wing When Traveling Two-Up?

• Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that I do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure.

• No, I'm certain that I do not.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owner's manual (see signature for bike) says my bike can safely carry 417 lbs of meat, cargo, and extra accessories. For the purposes of this poll, I consider 418 lbs an overload.

I'm talking about when you are loaded up for a long trip. If you never travel 2-up, please do not respond to this poll.

Please, no discussions on whether overloading the bike is harmful or not.

Let's see how many members can follow instructions. ;)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I always carry over the maximum when 2 up. Trying to change that by dieting etc. I don't think we can ever get below the weight suggested so that being said, I always check the tires and am mindful of rough places etc. I carry a radar temp gun and check the temp of the tires on a hot day and when we travel I put everything in the trailer except the wifes purse. I try to keep the weight of the trailer tongue to 35-45 lbs. I weigh about 290 and the wife 175. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
2 up with gear we are 380 ish. That gives about 35 to 40 pounds of luggage. If you put it on a scale that is a lot of clothes, especially when you use the newer type hot weather materials. We normally have about 30 pounds in the hot months and rain gear and other essentials. This will get us 4 to 5 days then wash if needed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My wife and I might hit 350 pounds, all geared up and saddlebags full.
If the Uni-Go is hooked up, it does not put much tongue weight on the bike. That's what I like.
The S.O. went on a successful diet this past winter and now we'll be able to carry more of her "junk", so I'm curious to see how the Wing handles with the new "you".:excited:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
My owner's manual (see signature for bike) says my bike can safely carry 417 lbs of meat
Digger,
For your useful load,
417 is way too high to start ... I think ...

... if you have all or some of the usual array of aftermarket "goodies"
(lights, hwy pegs, belly pan, cup holders, passenger transformers,
arm rests, utopia back rest, CB +antenna, luggage rack, trailer hitch etc ... etc ...)
I'd be willing to bet your remaining useful load is way
under 400 lbs
... probably below 375 ...

almost everyone riding 2 up is "overloaded" ...

Dennis

·
Registered
880 Posts
We surpass that Honda LIABILITY clause.

When will they ever stop producing bikes for grown up children?
When will they produce a bike that a real couple can ride, lots of luck!!!

Bobalou

·
Registered
657 Posts
Way way over!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:

I have added road pegs as the only chrome and the only items of any extra weight. As an "anti-chromer" and as a "DARKSIDER" I have attempted to level the playin' field when it comes to loadin' my Wing.

When we have the TimeOut camper in tow I balance it out to only add approximately 10-15 pounds tongue weight, works for us safely so far.;)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yep theres' no doubt - But I've found everything is a necessity at some point - Haven't you ever wished you brought along that kitchen sink?? - And why's that big "Brown Truck" following me!!!!!!!

Don't leave home without it - whatever "it" is.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My wife and I weigh a combined 290 pounds and on down hill turns or when there is a light at the bottem of a hill, I can really feel the added weight on the front suspension. I suspect you folks that are hauling more and towing are putting a lot of pressure on the front of the bike. Don't know if traxion upgrades help or not. On flat surfaces, the added weight is of little consequence for us.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We are about 350lbs without luggage...that leaves 67 lbs for our stuff....I'd say definitly NOT going over! :thumbup:

Mark

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We had our bike weighed at Dunlop's tire inspection station last year when we were at Wing Ding. We were in ride-around-town mode, just the usual stuff you keep in the bike.... Water, rain gear, her purse, helmets, etc but no heavy jackets and such. We went back just before leaving town to see how much we weighed with all our gear, a full tank and ready to travel, but it had rained and the scales were put away. I estimate that the full travel gear, clothes, Pak-It Rak, jackets, etc is probably another 50 lbs or so.

The results:

Front 459
Rear 926

Total: 1385

Bike @ 900

Load 485

Ours is an '03, which the manual lists at 791 lbs dry weight. I don't reall believe that, since the specs on an 09 list weight at 895-925 full fluids ready to ride. Gas & oil are probably 50 lbs, so did they add another 75lbs of accessories? (I know I pobably did.:oops: Now I'm sorry I didn't get them to weigh it empty.)​

So if the placarded 417 load is from the published dry weight, we are 177 lbs over. If it's from the more realistic 900 lbs wet weight, we're still 68 over before we load for a trip.​

So the instructions probably really say:​

You can have gas & oil
You can take some stuff
You can add some accessories
You can weigh 250
Your passenger can weigh 32 lbs​

The stock springs are way too weak even for the bike with no rider at all. I have upgraded both the rear & front with heavier Progressives, and it has made a huge difference. I won't get into the inadequacies of the Goldwing suspension here, I'm sure everyone has read the Traxxion threads. If not, do a search on Traxxion, get some coffee, and prepare to do a lot of reading.​

So to answer the original question, Yeah... we're overloaded by the specs.​

Dave
GWBBA #9
www.rocketmoto.com

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I know I do not overload my Wing... my wife weight is 114 and I weigh 175 = 289 lbs + appro. 20 to 25 lbs for helmets & clothing.. for luggage
I estimate 30 more lbs..

cosmic

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
We used to top it without luggage. Now we can pack-up, top off the fuel, and such and still come under the limit by a pound or two.

prs

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
... if you have all or some of the usual array of aftermarket "goodies"
(lights, hwy pegs, belly pan, cup holders, passenger transformers,
arm rests, utopia back rest, CB +antenna, luggage rack, trailer hitch etc ... etc ...)
I'd be willing to bet your remaining useful load is way
under 400 lbs
Yup.......... this is what my doctor has been saying,
yeah got'a drop some of the weight........:lol:

I'm also running out of pockets to put stuff. :hun1:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts