GL1800Riders Forums banner

Are you going to take an MSF course this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many of you plan on taking a one-day refresher course this year? I am planning to just to brush up on skills.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I voted now for two reasons. I took one last year and I'm probably going to have a trike by fall so will look for a trike course then.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This statement should cause some to need to run to the store to get a bottle of TUMS. ;) Those old farts whom teach the local MSF course themselves could learn much from an experienced rider.

This are a motorcycle, this are the handbrake and this are the throttle. Lol. The courses are so basic one will go to sleep.

They really should teach more awareness and how to recognize bad things setting up on the street and how to avoid them.

Mr. Carson I want you to accelerate to 30 mph and lock your rear wheel........but, but.but I have ABS, I can make it chirp a bit for you.................Oh...............Lol!

Such was my experience.

Tums are now on sale. :twisted:

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This statement should cause some to need to run to the store to get a bottle of TUMS. ;) Those old farts whom teach the local MSF course themselves could learn much from an experienced rider.

This are a motorcycle, this are the handbrake and this are the throttle. Lol. The courses are so basic one will go to sleep.

They really should teach more awareness and how to recognize bad things setting up on the street and how to avoid them.

Mr. Carson I want you to accelerate to 30 mph and lock your rear wheel........but, but.but I have ABS, I can make it chirp a bit for you.................Oh...............Lol!

Such was my experience.

That is not the experience I had with the Experienced Riders course.

·
Administrator
4,418 Posts
Don't try taking an Experienced Riders course with a C/T. They'll kick ya out! Ask me, I know. BB

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I'm thinking about taking the new Advanced Rider Course. This a relatively new course that is based upon the Military Sport Bike Course.

Description:
A one-day course that complements a rider’s basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic skills and crash avoidance skills. Improving braking skills and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle. Already took the Experienced RiderCourse? Now come back and take the Advanced RiderCourse!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll keep going to parking lots and practicing skills on my own time.

There is an advanced class around here that people rave about, because the instructor is a track fiend and shows you advanced techniques (trailbraking, etc). I think it is all who is teaching the course as to how good it is.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Ride like a Pro does NOT care if you have a CT or MT as long as it is in good condition.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I took the course last year...........I've been riding for over 49 years...........*THOUGHT I KNEW EVERYTHING* I thought I was going to be bored!!!!!!!!!! How wrong I was.....I learned plenty, DON'T "THINK" YOUR SMARTER THEN THEM...take the course, you will be amazed, at what you really don't know!:shock::shock: Surprised, surprised!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Msf

I have done the basic, advanced and once through the Ride Like A Pro. I will take the Ride Like a Pro class at least once a year AND practice what D.J. Fire posts here. Nothing against MSF, but they just don't teach the stuff that I am interested in. To me theirs is more of a brush up on basic skills. NOT THAT THOSE ARE NOT NEEDED

·
Registered
654 Posts

Such was my experience.

Sounds like your talking about the Basic Riders Course, in which case, I would hope its basic as you say. Take a look at the ERC or ARC for more training. The ERC is very similar to the BRC without the this is a clutch, this is a brake, etc... on your own bike. You'd be amazed at how many people have problems completing the BRC exercises on their own bike that they say they have been riding for x number of years. The ARC as someone already stated is the military sport bike course and yes, you can do it on a Wing. I was the first Wing on base to complete it, the old rules were that you had to have a sport bike. As an instructor I was able to convince them my wing was a sport bike (with a weight problem) and had a blast in the course. Total control is another course, but it focuses more on cornering techniques used at the track and not a lot of emphasis is put on street strategies. RLAP is also good as are many others.

Most MSF ridercoaches are great riders but when we teach the BRC we do things as we want the students to do them. If I showed them to do the slow ride clutch control lane at my speed we'd have a ton of time lost to students dropping the bike as they try to keep the bike at a crawl. Every now and then I'll show them that it is possible to spend a long time in those lanes, even that you can stop a bike and hold it steady without putting your feet down and then continue. That is usually something I do for fun before class starts if I do it and I explain that I don't expect them to do it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'd really like to take a "Trike" safety course. How-ever every time I go looking for one, there's never any available in my general area.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Its hard to find a course around here other than a very basic one that just shows where the throttle and brake are. I would love to take something more advanced, but have trouble finding one close enough or at a time when I can get away from work to attend. Spring summer and fall are the busiest times for me. Its hard enough just getting some time to ride. I have followed some of DJ's clips and practice them on parking lots which helps a lot. I also follow various tips I see from other sources as well as the Canadian Safety Council Course but it now seems to be just to give you enough to stay upright long enough to get your licence. When I took it years ago it was a week long course that taught you a lot about safety and how to avoid trouble on the road, like tree branches, blown semi tires etc. Sorry for venting but this has been a bug to me for quite a while.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts

Such was my experience.

Not my experience with the ERC.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I want to take the week long motor officer course at MotoMark1 near Durham, NC.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Motomark1 course is top notch, taught by Police Motor Officer's. The owner, Mark is a retired North Carolina State Trooper, and head motorcycle trainer. All of his courses are outstanding. His basic course is far beyond the MSF courses, and all the way up to the Civilian Motor Officer course are top notch. If your skill level is above average, take the Motor Course, and you will not be sorry. It's a ton of fun to boot.

Mike G
Sgt (Ret)
Motor Unit Supervisor

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Not many MSF class opportunities offered around here, I have taken the class about 4 different times and think it is very well worth taking, if it works out I will take it again, and don't forget Honda will reimburse for taking MSF class :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts