Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not important to me

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for my first Gold Wing. ABS models are available but not very close to me. I have had many BMW's and all had ABS. It has saved my hide on 2 separate occasions. I guess I am looking for compelling arguments to battle my logic in my feeble attempt to justify buying a non ABS model.

Question, do you regret not getting ABS?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
yes i wish when i purchased the new wing a couple years ago, i would have purchased an abs model

and yes i did spend the $4,000 extra for abs when i purchased a new one in ocyober

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I would have regretted buying a non-abs bike...

I picked my abs bike up 750 miles from home and rode it home.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have no regrets on not getting ABS. If I had been able choose it as a single purchase, I may have bought it.

I have never felt that I needed it.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have seen three ABS wings with tires past their wear marks in the past year ... what is up with that?

I do not regret going non-ABS. Keep some good rubber on the machine, and practice practice practice your maneuvers!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I, "WOULD NOT" have bought mine without! The, "ABS"saved me,wife and both "In-laws" in my wife's Blazer, when a car pulled out in front of us, it worked "Nuff Said"! I haven't had the opportunity to try on the Wing, but don't want to! Nuff Said, again!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I voted no, but regret was really a wrong word to choose. I would only regret it if I wrecked due to locking up my brakes. If you don't wreck, saving the thousand dollars turns out to be a wise decision.

But I admit that I do wish I had it, if for no other reason than it would make riding in the rain a bit more relaxing. When riding in the rain, I always worry about having to make a panic stop. It is very difficult to control wheel lockup in a panic stop in the rain.

Forget about all the statistics on stopping distances for a second. Even though ABS is a great safety feature, most of us have gone many years without ABS and got along just fine. Most accidents and panic stops can be avoided by being attentive and riding safely. And even when you do get into a panic situation, wheel lockups are not imminent. It can still be avoided with practice.

If you can swing it, get the ABS. But don't fret about it. What would you do if ABS wasn't available?

I have always said getting into a situation once or twice in your entire life where ABS saved your hide is a possibility for anyone. although not a certainty.) But people that claim they have had numerous instances where ABS has saved their butts, in reality need to re-evaluate their ability to ride safely. One member here said that ABS had saved his hide at least a dozen times in the 4 years he had his bike. I would not want to ride with that person.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I wish I had ABS on mine. I bought it used and did not really consider it. Now wiser, I am considering a trade for an ABS model.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I voted no, but regret was really a wrong word to choose. I would only regret it if I wrecked due to locking up my brakes. If you don't wreck, saving the thousand dollars turns out to be a wise decision.

But I admit that I do wish I had it, if for no other reason than it would make riding in the rain a bit more relaxing. When riding in the rain, I always worry about having to make a panic stop. It is very difficult to control wheel lockup in a panic stop in the rain.

Forget about all the statistics on stopping distances for a second. Even though ABS is a great safety feature, most of us have gone many years without ABS and got along just fine. Most accidents and panic stops can be avoided by being attentive and riding safely. And even when you do get into a panic situation, wheel lockups are not imminent. It can still be avoided with practice.

If you can swing it, get the ABS. But don't fret about it. What would you do if ABS wasn't available?

I have always said getting into a situation once or twice in your entire life where ABS saved your hide is a possibility for anyone. although not a certainty.) But people that claim they have had numerous instances where ABS has saved their butts, in reality need to re-evaluate their ability to ride safely. One member here said that ABS had saved his hide at least a dozen times in the 4 years he had his bike. I would not want to ride with that person.

:agree:

·
Registered
343 Posts
It only takes once and you'll be glad you had it. I had to do a quick stop 2 up pulling my trailer. I felt the ABS take over, the bike and trailer both stayed straight as a string.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Wierdly... I wanted the Navi system...and It comes with...so I got ...get it ?

Works like a charm... resale value is slightly better too ...as they (ABS)are more sought after.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Wierdly... I wanted the Navi system...and It comes with...so I got ...get it ?

Works like a charm... resale value is slightly better too ...as they (ABS)are more sought after.
I have never agreed with that as a reason to buy it.

While I agree that there will always be a small percentage who will seek out certain features, when someone is looking for a used vehicle, they are far more interested in price than the buyer of a new vehicle is. (That's why they are buying a used one) And the condition of the bike is far more important than what options are on it. Since there isn't as great of a choice compared to buying new, buyers buy the best available at the best price. Used vehicles with less options always sell faster than loaded vehicles because of the more attractive price.

Used value guides always add something for options, but in the end, the few hundreds bucks extra doesn't really amount to anything worth factoring into the buying decision.

JMO

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
While I never felt I would have NEEDED ABS I regret that no dealers had them and nobody knew anything about them in 2003 when I bought my Wing..

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I've owned both ABS and non-ABS bikes. ABS is undeniably a good idea yet has not been nor would it be a deal breaker for me. Adjust your technique, train yourself to avoid panic, and make either work for you. I believe the heavier the bike, the more important role ABS can play in emergency control. Also Honda is reknowned for the seamless perform of their moto specific ABS systems. For instance, several cycle rags heaped huge praises on Honda's development of the all new ABS CBR 1000RR. That being said, I don't think it's worth the huge upcharge on especially a new Wing. OPINIONS and priority given it here will vary.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ABS ia a No Brainer!

I believe in ABS.

Safe riding habits are very important but as they say 'S**T HAPPENS'! Critters always seem to appear out of nowhere and then they go and change direction on you, doubling back in front of you just when you think you're in the clear!!!:shrug:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
More problems, more complexity. Have it in a 2008 Jeep and my wife and I both would rather not have it. Have it on my 1997 F350 Ford and I'm lucky to still be alive. Leave a 1 block following distance at least because these brakes sure won't "lock up". No doubt about that. I could open the door up and drag my feet on the pavement and get better braking than that F350 when the antilocks kick on and they are "smart" enough to kick on full if the vehical is travelling 55mph and the wheels "lock" to 54.99. A real pleasure in the truck. I'd have to be thinking of this feature if I had it on the Goldwing always wondering if it was going to attempt to kill me. OK, I've argued this multiple times, I still don't want them as a quick summary.

·
Registered
275 Posts
More problems, more complexity. Have it in a 2008 Jeep and my wife and I both would rather not have it. Have it on my 1997 F350 Ford and I'm lucky to still be alive. Leave a 1 block following distance at least because these brakes sure won't "lock up". No doubt about that. I could open the door up and drag my feet on the pavement and get better braking than that F350 when the antilocks kick on and they are "smart" enough to kick on full if the vehical is travelling 55mph and the wheels "lock" to 54.99. A real pleasure in the truck. I'd have to be thinking of this feature if I had it on the Goldwing always wondering if it was going to attempt to kill me. OK, I've argued this multiple times, I still don't want them as a quick summary.

Hey Fluke

A couple of questions for you

1. Which stops faster a rolling tire in a maximum braking situation or a locked sliding tire??

2. How much directional control does a sliding tire have??

I traded my 04 in specifically to get the ABS and then had a chance to try it out in a controlled range situation. AWESOME my life is well worth the 4k add on as I didn't want the factory GPS

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
ABS came from commercial aviation and proved itself there. The bottom line is a rolling (and slowing) wheel / tire affords far more directional and stability control than a locked wheel. It is that simple. Also, a lot of people will have a tendency to over brake in emergencies and doing so without ABS is a guarranty of getting flown off the bike on the high side when releasing the locked rear.

I had linked brakes on my VTX 1800 and liked it but the ABS is beats it by a mile for effect and safety. I consider the ABS the most important safety device on my GL.

Spend the extra money and get the ABS.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
At great risk of beating a team of dead horses; I am responding before reading the previous comments. I answered the POL item "YES", but the true answer was YES and NO. When I went shopping for a GL1800, I wanted ABS and my dealer/friend talked me out of it because his experience with ABS was quite poor. His opinion and experience were honest, but based upon another cycle. (He later repented and admitted he was wrong to have applied his previous opinion to the GL1800.) So, YES, I wish now I had gotten ABS. But, the standard brakes on this machine are outstanding and in the two real life panic stops I have done, they have served extreemly well; so NO. And, since that time Ma Honda lost her bloody mind and made ABS an option available only with other package features of highly dubious value -- in particular the dumbied-down version of the Garmin GPS, so doubly NO. If I buy another GoldWing and IF the ABS is available without strings attached, then YES, it will be ABS. Otherwise NO.

prs

1 - 20 of 100 Posts