GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now they have been out for awhile, any regrets ? The first ones, there was no way I was getting one, but since they made the trunk bigger I'm starting to come around.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I traded in a 2013 with 40,000 miles for my 2018 primarily to get the updated bike with ABS. My 2013 nav didn’t have it. I do admit by that time my wife was riding her own ride so the smaller bike really worked fine for me. My 2013 was an awesome bike in its own right. The 2018 is just downright superior in my opinion. It’s taught and rattle free rides smooth and solid. I really like it. With gas prices now I ride it daily everywhere unless I need my truck. I just told my wife the other day… if it suffered some catastrophic fate I would immediately go buy another.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It all depends on what one is looking for. The 2018+ is a fantastic upgrade from the Gen 5 Goldwings. BMW was kicking Honda's ars with modern technology. So Honda made the right move.
However, saying that, I will admit that my 2016 is wonderful also. The Gen 5's are just so well refined for their time. Perhaps too good to make me really want the Gen 6, even with the new Tech and features.
So for me I am not in the market for a 2018+. Especially after I added the "Henry" final drive that made my wishing for a 6th gear go completely away! 😜 I'll keep the large storage for our long trips and her comfort. Especially when we tested the New Gen 6 and she said... NO. She likes the 2016 comfort. Especially for an occasional nap!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
837 Posts
Yes and no. My 2008 which I rode for almost 8 years was way more comfortable but getting heavy. I always rode solo and it just had a great "planted" road feel about it. My 2018 tour feels so much lighter to me and it also handles better in all situations. With the 2018, I feel that I will be able to extend my 2-wheel Goldwing riding years. I am happy I made the trade!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yes and No. Loved my 2006. Put 220,000 miles on it in 11 years. The first 132,000 miles were trouble free. Between 132,000 mile and 150,000 mile had some issues, all covered under factory warranty. My 2017 was a mirror upgrade, but had too many problems in the first 20,000 miles, some major. So decided to purchase a 21 or 22 after seeing s buds 21 red. The 21 DCT Tour is nice. Some features are nice upgrades from the 17, but some are not. Less storage and less protection from the weather. The electronics are nice when they work. If you can figure which button/menu to use to get to the function you want. Maintenance is more difficult.
So do I regret moving to the 21 ? No because I did not trust the 17 to be a trouble free bike.

Reactions: Simmons1

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am almost 70 years old with two artificial hips so I was ready for a smaller lighter bike. I had an 02 and 13 and two things I miss was the seat and top speed. I fixed the seat with an Ultimate on my ST 1800 but not the top speed limiter. Storage no problem. First thing I added was a hitch so I can pull a trailer when the wife goes or Pakit rack when solo. I just got back from a 4,000 mile trip out west and the bike was smooth and problem free. Ask yourself would I rather drive a new car with all the advancements or a 20 year old car? The old car may run good but that new car with all the tech is sure nice.

·
Registered
789 Posts
No! I sold a 2015 and bought a 2018. Traded the 2018 for a 2021 and I'm very pleased.
I like the 2021 better than the 2018 because of the way it shifts during deceleration.I'm 79 years old
with 2 artificial hips.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I kept my 08 when I bought an 18 and still put more miles on it than the 18. The bikes are my daily driver and the 08 pulls a trailer full time which is why it gets more use. When I’m on it I feel it’s the best but I feel the same about the new one. Two different bikes. Both are great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sold my 2010 with 88,000 miles on it and bought a barely used 2018 DCT 4200 miles, I like everything about the 2018 accept the Bluetooth intercom is't as good as the corded intercom that were on the earlier models. I did put the trunk set back kit on it and the handle bar risers and set backs

·
Registered
'21 GW Tour, 'O6 GL1800
505 Posts
Yes and no for me, too. I appreciate the lighter weight and improved front suspension. Ultimately, I want enough gears and power to get me up to cruising speed and keep me there all day. I want wind and weather protection and all-day comfort. I demand rock solid dependability and easy, infrequent maintenance. So how many boxes does the new Wing check compared to the older models? Every rider will have a different answer. .

·
Super Moderator
9,136 Posts
Nope, not at all. Because I didn't. After test riding a couple 2019s, I added a 2017 to my garage and kept the 2006. Not because new models are bad, just the prior model suits me better. The closest I came to regret was when the 2022 blue came out. If that was available in 2019 my decision would have been more difficult. I think I'd have still went with the 2017. Couldn't pass up that deal.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nope. I traded a 2015 for a 2018. I was always looking for another gear on the interstate on my 15. Not on my 18. I love that 6th gear when I have to use the interstate. The 18's suspension is miles above my 15. My 15 seat is better than the 18's but not enough for me to regret my decision. With the addition of the F4 windshield, my 18 is as good as my 15 for wind protection. Although the 18's fuel capacity is smaller than the 15's, its mpg is better so total milage per tank is about the same.

BUT. . .

If I were traveling 2 up, I could see having some regrets, as the 18 is smaller with less luggage capacity. But as I travel solo, the 18 fits my needs better than the 15 did. No regrets here.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I didn't trade my 2015 Level III Gold Wing, I sold it to a Gentleman in my State. Then I purchased a 2018 Gold Wing Tour Air Bag Model and have had no regrets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Now they have been out for awhile, any regrets ? The first ones, there was no way I was getting one, but since they made the trunk bigger I'm starting to come around.
I miss my 08 it is a better road bike when it comes longer and wider and heavier. But the new 2022 i have am still getting used to it. Trunk is nice for my shoie neotech helmet but when i go on a solo trip the bags won't carry anything but your tools, fowl weather gear and such. If i take the wife i definitely need my trailer. good luck

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Traded in a 2010 for a 2018. Best decision I ever made!

Better handling, better mileage, faster acceleration, LED Lights electronic windshield, more modern look, lighter weight, more fun to ride, easier to ride, I believe electronics are more water proof, better brakes, BT radio, lighter, much better stock suspension & better handling

Less storage space, crazy gas up procedure, sound of radio as anemic s=as past generations & worthless helmet holder though,

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to give me a newer model so I can decide. Like my '05 but I always have an eye out for a newer option even though there are many more miles left on mine.

·
Registered
'21 GW Tour, 'O6 GL1800
505 Posts
I just got back from a 2000 mile, 6 day trip on my 2021 GW Tour. Here is my assessment...

My back is the sorest it's ever been after a motorcycle trip but there were some very rough roads. Is it the roads, the bike or ergonomics? I don't know, but, if that is an ongoing concern this bike will not be long for me.

Although the bike is stable in crosswinds it offers zero rider protection and is very tiring in those situations, even with an F4 windshield.

Does the bike handle better than older model Gold Wings? I suppose the answer depends on how you describe "handling". While there are some advantages to a lighter bike, once you are on the highway, there is not much difference.

I leave the windshield in the same position all of the time and just hope it resets there...sometimes it doesn't.

Trip average for fuel was 45.5 mpg and that was being very easy on the throttle. Not bad. It's probably 10-15% better than my 2016.

It was a solo trip so luggage capacity was not much of an issue this time.

"Little" things that matter: I like the TPMS but wish it was programable for pressure because I am a Darksider. . Cruise control works great. It has a good sidestand and it's easier to get on the centerstand. The forward lighting seems effective at getting noticed. The seat is easier to remove and install. Tail lights are positioned too low to be instantly recognized by other motorists. The nav and sound system are garbage, as usual.

This bike rides cold. I broke out my insulated gauntlet gloves for the first time in a long time and I had the grip heaters turned up to "4" and it was just 40 degrees.
I received several positive comments about how pretty the bike is. It was nice to hear.

I'm now used to the DCT and it is still no big deal to me. I appreciate running at lower engine rpm at highway speed but it sure takes away from roll on passing performance.

I only switch riding modes except to play around with them and then I wonder their purpose?

Everything on the bike is dependent upon a good battery and key fob to function. I guess that's how everything is in today's world.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,457 Posts
I just got back from a 2000 mile, 6 day trip on my 2021 GW Tour. Here is my assessment...

My back is the sorest it's ever been after a motorcycle trip but there were some very rough roads. Is it the roads, the bike or ergonomics? I don't know, but, if that is an ongoing concern this bike will not be long for me.

Although the bike is stable in crosswinds it offers zero rider protection and is very tiring in those situations, even with an F4 windshield.

Does the bike handle better than older model Gold Wings? I suppose the answer depends on how you describe "handling". While there are some advantages to a lighter bike, once you are on the highway, there is not much difference.

I leave the windshield in the same position all of the time and just hope it resets there...sometimes it doesn't.

Trip average for fuel was 45.5 mpg and that was being very easy on the throttle. Not bad. It's probably 10-15% better than my 2016.

"Little" things that matter: I like the TPMS but wish it was programable for pressure because I am a Darksider. . Cruise control works great. It has a good sidestand and it's easier to get on the centerstand. The forward lighting seems effective at getting noticed. The seat is easier to remove and install. Tail lights are positioned too low to be instantly recognized by other motorists. The nav and sound system are garbage, as usual.

This bike rides cold. I broke out my insulated gauntlet gloves for the first time in a long time and I had the grip heaters turned up to "4" and it was just 40 degrees.
I received several positive comments about how pretty the bike is. It was nice to hear.

I'm now used to the DCT and it is still no big deal to me. I appreciate running at lower engine rpm at highway speed but it sure takes away from roll on passing performance.

I only switch riding modes except to play around with them and then I wonder their purpose?

Everything on the bike is dependent upon a good battery and key fob to function. I guess that's how everything is in today's world.
40 degrees is pretty darn cold for just heated grips...I have all my heated gear on when it's that cold.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Excellent writeup ! Only thing missing, can you put 2 medium/large full coverage helmets in trunk ?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
On the 2021 and 2022 you can put two full face helmets in the trunk. I have done it on my 2021 DCT Tour.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts