GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just purchased a brand new 2021 grey non tour manual. Bike is great all around. I'm 6'5 so my plan was to get a Russel seat to put me back and higher and maybe get bar risers. I've already installed Goldstrike pegs which are a smidge lower than pegs.

The issue Im having is that I have to really think about where my left foot is while shifting. Often times I find myself hitting the engine if Im not careful. Riding in twisty roads is kind of annoying because of this.

I test rode a DCT for a bit and didn't hate it but between the down shifts, being a manual guy, scared of complex technology lol, and more $, i passed on DCT without a second thought. Well now i have second thoughts lol.

My bike has 160 miles on it and Im considering trading it in for a DCT.....just wondering if anyones done that or even traded to a manual because you hated the dct.

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
388 Posts
While I am a DCT owner and am happy with my decision, there are 2 things I'd like to point out. One, as I'm sure you know if you decide to make the trade you will take a beating on trading in what is essentially a brand new bike. That shiny new GW depreciated 20-30% the minute you stuck a license plate on it and put the tires on the pavement. Two is I really don't think 160 miles is enough time in the saddle to make such an expensive decision. While I don't have the shifting to deal with I do have a similar problem on the right side with my foot brake lever and hitting the engine, especially coming off an HD where getting to the foot brake involved a lengthy motion which you can't make on the GW or you will kick the engine. I got used to where to position my foot after a few hundred miles, and now I don't even think about it. I'm sure manual owners will have more specific suggestions on possible adjustments, etc, but I just thought I'd throw these out there for you to consider.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You'll feel comfortable with it after some more miles.

I have 6000 in-town and touring miles on my manual 2018, and I like the simplicity, control and weight savings afforded by the manual trans (only one oil drain plug, for example). It's proven technology and it works perfectly. Also, I really disliked the short-shifting of the DCT and the difficulty it caused in low speed maneuvering (though maybe I would have gotten used to it).

The 1833 is a great drivetrain with the six-speed, and I'd stick with it if I were you.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
160 miles is not enough to adapt to a new bike....you might need to adjust the shifter up a bit for your boots...the clutch is different than the old models and takes some time to adapt to it.
I love mine and don't regret buying it at all...best Honda transmission I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
88 Posts
60k on my 2018 6-speed. My only issue has been trying to shift up while in a sharp left-hand cure. I cannot get my foot under the shifter. So, I adjusted the shifter upward and that helped a lot. Then, I found the Kury heel-toe shifter on this site and I love it. I no longer have to get my toe under the shifter; works perfect! I love shifting and controlling my shift points; I often ride my GW like a sport bike. I probably would have been fine with a DCT after learning to manually shift it, as well. I just figured the DCT was one more thing to learn about on a new bike, so I stuck with "tradition" and the way I learned to ride. It seems like "six of one; half-dozen of the other" when it comes to this great motorcycle. So, maybe my next GW will be a DCT as I age and want "less bother", for now I like the active-engagement of shifting and the feeling of control it affords me. I choose between two or three gears! I change gears based on the environment, road conditions, traffic, neighborhood, and my attitude-of-the-moment. There is a lot of power controlled by my left hand and foot. But, I don't regret the manual transmission and have had no desire to trade it in. . . today!

·
Registered
333 Posts
No, I don't regret getting a manual. That's all I have ever ridden and used to it and I am old everybody knows old guys hate change!! LOL

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am one of the seemingly minority on the forum here that prefer the MT. I had an extended test ride on the DCT for a weekend and then had the MT for a full day and just preferred the MT. So no regrets at all. Glad I had the chance to spend two full days on the DCT before I made up my mind, or I would have always wondered.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Only regret any of us DCT owners will ever have is when we get greeted with a dead battery. We can't get it rolling and catch it in gear. Now that would really suck. That's my only worry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I had my 2008 and the guy I use to ride with had a 2005 and we always had the decision that the wing was like diving an automatic because the engine had so much torque. It was forgiving no matter what gear you were in. Like my 6 speed manual. 😎

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Only regret any of us DCT owners will ever have is when we get greeted with a dead battery. We can't get it rolling and catch it in gear. Now that would really suck. That's my only worry.
I've actually seen a battery dead enough that you couldn't do that with a manual. We pushed one guys bike all over a parking lot without success. Fortunately a car had some jumper cables and we were able to get it started. I guess it just wasn't enough residual power to fire up the electronics and fuel injection. A long steep hill may have worked. Lol

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
The clutch engagement point on the manual transmission bikes takes some getting used to. It engages a bit further out than the previous generation bike. This would be my only complaint against the manual transmission. I ride both DCT's and Manual bikes that I service frequently, and I like them both. I probably could have been happy with either one.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Would be able to open the bags? What else could be not do?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm very happy with my manual. I did move the shifter up a notch and I did hit the engine a few times but don't anymore. I'm riding an 08 and an 18 and the different friction points cause me to stumble when I first pull out. I really like the friction point on the 18. Just kind of squeeze the lever a little.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
Not for me. In fact after a year of ownership I’m happier than ever. I cherish the simplicity. The touchy quirky clutch issue is completely gone for me now. I now feel it’s an exceptIonal clutch.
I feel the clutch is exceptional too...I wonder now how this clutch ever felt strange to me. I love how little clutch pull is needed to shift gears when you want to run it thru the gears a bit.. the shifting is so smooth...there is no passanger helmet taps while shifting with this bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey All,

I just purchased a brand new 2021 grey non tour manual. Bike is great all around. I'm 6'5 so my plan was to get a Russel seat to put me back and higher and maybe get bar risers. I've already installed Goldstrike pegs which are a smidge lower than pegs.

The issue Im having is that I have to really think about where my left foot is while shifting. Often times I find myself hitting the engine if Im not careful. Riding in twisty roads is kind of annoying because of this.

I test rode a DCT for a bit and didn't hate it but between the down shifts, being a manual guy, scared of complex technology lol, and more $, i passed on DCT without a second thought. Well now i have second thoughts lol.

My bike has 160 miles on it and Im considering trading it in for a DCT.....just wondering if anyones done that or even traded to a manual because you hated the dct.

Best,
Mike
Mike,
Here is your cure. Totally adjustable. I mounted them on my non tour MT.
Twin Rail Footrests from Goldstrike.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Pack a lithium jump starter battery in the side case and you’re covered on any battery issue.
I’ve packed the same one on my last 3-bikes (Micro-start brand).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts