GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hey All,

I just purchased a brand new 2021 grey non tour manual. Bike is great all around. I'm 6'5 so my plan was to get a Russel seat to put me back and higher and maybe get bar risers. I've already installed Goldstrike pegs which are a smidge lower than pegs.

The issue Im having is that I have to really think about where my left foot is while shifting. Often times I find myself hitting the engine if Im not careful. Riding in twisty roads is kind of annoying because of this.

I test rode a DCT for a bit and didn't hate it but between the down shifts, being a manual guy, scared of complex technology lol, and more $, i passed on DCT without a second thought. Well now i have second thoughts lol.

My bike has 160 miles on it and Im considering trading it in for a DCT.....just wondering if anyones done that or even traded to a manual because you hated the dct.

Best,
Mike

I test rode both flavors........DCT and MT.
If I hadn’t test rode the DCT for an extended period of time (several rides at multiple dealers) I would of ended up with a MT for sure. The more I rode the DCT the more I loved it.
To be honest if I would of purchased the MT I would not have enjoyed the bike as much as I do.
The DCT is that good and that enjoyable. I’ve ridden MT bikes for 45-years and the DCT is a refreshing change and very much the choice for ME. Honda did a great job with the DCT.

That said, like others have said.....you need to give the MT more time and miles before you bail on the bike.
You will take a hit $$

JMHO....

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
30 Posts
No regrets at all with my manual over a DCT. I have a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter that goes 85mph I bought to ride around with my wife while she's on her Genuine Buddy 170 - that's enough of the automatic-tranny two-wheel stuff for my tastes. If I had a wish list with the bike the top two items would be a overdrive-overdrive (lol) and a bigger shifter.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
There is no way I could regret buying my 2018 as a M6 instead of DCT. If there is any chance of a regret, it would be not waiting for a Blue with the 2021 size trunk. But since that is as much of a Unicorn as a 2011 GL1800; that regret does not exist. I would only have a DCT as a non-leaning trike because of the way I ride, I need clutch control.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
372 Posts
I’ve said it before, everyday on the DCT I learn more about her capabilities even after 8,800 miles and 1 year. So many options! If in auto no biggy downshift (paddles). If in manuals let her scream, shift when you want then slowing down at the next light let her take control and downshift for you! Manual or auto makes no difference they both are awesome and both can be mixed!

oh yeah my left boot stays newer longer!😎

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I love my DCT! It was a game changer for me. Still have the wing, but I have bought two other DCT bikes to go along with it. An NC750X and now a VFR1200X DCT in the pic below.

Wanna talk about a FUN bike..... This VFR has a 130HP V4 married to a DCT transmission with three sport modes.

I probably will never buy another bike without a DCT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased a brand new 2021 grey non tour manual. Bike is great all around. I'm 6'5 so my plan was to get a Russel seat to put me back and higher and maybe get bar risers. I've already installed Goldstrike pegs which are a smidge lower than pegs.

The issue Im having is that I have to really think about where my left foot is while shifting. Often times I find myself hitting the engine if Im not careful. Riding in twisty roads is kind of annoying because of this.

I test rode a DCT for a bit and didn't hate it but between the down shifts, being a manual guy, scared of complex technology lol, and more $, i passed on DCT without a second thought. Well now i have second thoughts lol.

My bike has 160 miles on it and Im considering trading it in for a DCT.....just wondering if anyones done that or even traded to a manual because you hated the dct.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had to adjust the shifter on mine. It was set too low. Once I did that, I was a happy camper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2018 manual Tour Wing which I am enjoying , but i think with any new bike it takes around 4,000km of riding before you really feel as one with the bike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey All,

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought a 2021 DCT Tour without test riding one. Being a HD guy and a traditional rider I was worried that I was going to like the DCT, well after less than a 100 miles and can tell you that I love it! Around town and in traffic it's in auto, once I'm riding out in the country its in manual mode and its great, we could never shift this fast. It only took a few hours to get used to the paddle shifters, although I do find myself reaching for the clutch; I'm sure that will pass.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Only regret any of us DCT owners will ever have is when we get greeted with a dead battery. We can't get it rolling and catch it in gear. Now that would really suck. That's my only worry.
Not a lot to worry about eh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hey All,

Thanks for the responses. I wish I had taken the DCT out for a few hours along with MT. I think this week Ill get to ride a DCT for 50 miles and see how I feel. I did try sitting on 3 inches worth of towels and the position was drastically better. For sure I'll be getting a seat made. I know Ill take a hit on my bike if I trade it in but at this point I just want something to ride and enjoy. I just sold a KTM Super Adventure which I purchased solely because of the comfort and legroom. After three years of trying everything to modify it I just couldn't fix the incredibly loud engine and wind noise. That bike was super fast and comfortable but not fun to ride for more than an hour.

So far I've bought two top shelf bikes from this dealer and they've been really good to me. LOL if DCT didnt exist this wouldn't even be an issue and I would just ride and enjoy my bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not being to knowedgable on all GW's on my 2012 I put a heel toe shifter and floorboards on mine, My foot rest comfortably between the shifter and its just a matter of moving my foot a touch to step down on first or step back for the rest of the gears.
No issues at all with coming close to the engine

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I bought the manual and like it. I agree with Fred that the clutch takes a little time to be comfortable with it. I also initially had problems with the position of the shifter, but I got accustomed to it very quickly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT Tour and would have no interest in a manual (too spoiled now to go back). HOWEVER, that does not mean everyone feels that way and it is good that Honda decided to give us the two transmission options. I know it is not exactly the same but applicable here nonetheless, Yamaha had the old slogan "different strokes for different folks" 🙂

One thing to possibly consider if you decide you really want a DCT is that both new and used bikes seem to be in much shorter supply this spring (spring of 2021) and you never know what sort of deal you could make with a dealer for a DCT unless you ask around (there might be someone looking specifically for a manual).

One thing about the DCT that is not talked about much that I really enjoy (I think the manual trans is missing this) is the forward creeper gear. I know you can just feather the clutch in first gear to creep forward on a manual, but the use of the forward and reverse paddles on the DCT is just wonderful when you have to rock the thing back and forth to get it out of a sticky parking situation (pointing up or down on gravel or loose dirt for example).

As others have said ride yours some more and then get an extended ride on a DCT to help you make your final decision. Good luck with whatever you decide (y)

21 - 40 of 66 Posts