GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to have my front tire changed out. I found a tire dealer that will do it for $10. They won't balance it but I plan on using Dyna Beads anyway.

I was wondering should I remove the front break discs before I take the wheel over to have the tire changed out?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I don't either. Just WATCH them and if they are worth their salt, they will guard the disks...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discs

I took mine off and used a orbital sander to scuff and took the pads out and did the same to them too!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
... I was wondering should I remove the front break discs before I take the wheel over to have the tire changed out?
No, don't remove the rotors. They should be able to change out the tire with the rotors in place. However, be very careful in transporting the wheel to avoid bending the rotors.

If you did remove the rotors you are supposed to reinstall them with NEW bolts... not cheap.

Call the shop before you go to make sure there is no problem regarding the rotors. If there is, find another shop.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just had my front tire replaced today just finished putting it back in the bike. I did not remove the rotors either.

If you remove the rotors it says you should replace the bolts...question.. is that because they have thread lock on them, if so could you just buy a small tube of lock tite and apply to the thread and reuse them? Just wondering.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Rotors

I had to rteplace both my wheels about a month ago and I used the rotors from the old wheels as well as the old bolts. I just used Locktite on them. Have put about 2000 miles on the bike since then with no problem.

R

·
0 Posts
I just had my front tire replaced today just finished putting it back in the bike. I did not remove the rotors either.

If you remove the rotors it says you should replace the bolts...question.. is that because they have thread lock on them, if so could you just buy a small tube of lock tite and apply to the thread and reuse them? Just wondering.
Wanna buy some used dog poop? I got some for sale.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,199 Posts
Your bike, your decision, but I wouldn't let anyone who only charges $10 to unmount and remount a front bike tire, touch my bike. Either they are going to have the minimum wage guy bend your rotors or they have no idea how much those rotors cost if they bend them and are cheap because they have no liability insurance to pay every 6 months. I've heard the phrase before "those rotors must have been bent when you brought the wheel in" yea right!:evil:

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you don't remove the rotors make sure you check them good,a big tire suppler here in dayton bent one of my rotors and it was a few weeks before i rode my bike. It cost me a couple hundred bucks. The bolts are stretch bolts and they will brake if you torque them to tight or to many times.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wanna buy some used dog poop? I got some for sale.

If I did not all ready have 3 dogs, 9 cats and 3 horses I might take you up on it....I think I have enough poop for both of us.:22yikes: :lol::lol:

What reason would you have to replace the bolts if they are not stripped, stretched or damaged in some other way. Seems all they did at the factory was apply some thread locktite. If they are in good condition why not reuse them and torque to the proper spec.?:shrug:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I always take mine off. Just one less thing I have to worry about when getting work done
Mick

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I did on the first change (which I did myself) but gong to try not doing it on the next change.

A local tire dealer will mount for $5 so he will be doing my next mount,. He as done several others and for $5, its just not worth the aggravation of doing it myself. I will try balancing with Dana Beads and if that doesn't work, will do it the old fashioned way.

:biker:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I'm about ready to have my front tire changed out. I found a tire dealer that will do it for $10. They won't balance it but I plan on using Dyna Beads anyway.

I was wondering should I remove the front break discs before I take the wheel over to have the tire changed out?

Like mentioned before: Some do, and some don't!! If you have a Dial Caliper, or access to one. check the disk before you remove the wheel, ( with the brake calipers off) for true. When you get it back, and mounted check it again for true. There isn't any thing more frustrating than trying to true a disk with the brake mounted :eek:4:

R

·
0 Posts
If I did not all ready have 3 dogs, 9 cats and 3 horses I might take you up on it....I think I have enough poop for both of us.:22yikes: :lol::lol:

What reason would you have to replace the bolts if they are not stripped, stretched or damaged in some other way. Seems all they did at the factory was apply some thread locktite. If they are in good condition why not reuse them and torque to the proper spec.?:shrug:
If I did not all ready have 3 dogs, 9 cats and 3 horses I might take you up on it
Dang you got everything but cow poop! :lol:

What reason would you have to replace the bolts if they are not stripped, stretched or damaged in some other way. Seems all they did at the factory was apply some thread locktite. If they are in good condition why not reuse them and torque to the proper spec.?
That's what I did. I did notice some dissimilar metal corrosion but not much on my 06. Could have something to do with that.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Your bike, your decision, but I wouldn't let anyone who only charges $10 to unmount and remount a front bike tire, touch my bike. Either they are going to have the minimum wage guy bend your rotors or they have no idea how much those rotors cost if they bend them and are cheap because they have no liability insurance to pay every 6 months. I've heard the phrase before "those rotors must have been bent when you brought the wheel in" yea right!:evil:
This would be my first thought, but...... We have a local tire shop owned by a family of Harley riders, and they are A-N-A-L about their bikes. I gave one some Rejex to try on his bike, and before he would use it, he called the mfr and grilled them about the product. I've never paid him more than $20.00 for anything that he has done, and it's usually free, or 5/10. I think some of it is done from a love of riding, and some to help out fellow riders. We're lucky to have guys like them in the neighborhood:lol:

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I demount and remount my own tires and I do remove the rotors. The bolts that hold the rotors are SOFT and will damage after a re-use or two. I have had a few break when retorquing. I keep a good supply of the bolts on hand and they are NOT expensive if ordered from HAL. They "may" be the type of bolt that is designed to withstand the spec torque only once, I dunno for sure. I replace any that have boogered hex heads or that feel funny as the tighten. The ones I have had that broke, I could tell even before they broke that they would break. I do clean them and re-apply medium Locktite.

prs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Best Threadlocker

I work in sales for a fastener distributor, and we sell a product called Vibra-tite. It is a user applied threadlocker, but is not a "superglue". You apply it to internal or external threads, let it set up, and it's like the factory applied threadlocker on the bolts you were talking about. I've used it for years, and have never had anything vibrate loose that I've used it on. Here's a link to their website: http://www.threadlockers.com/ Once applied, it will require a wrench to install the bolt or remove it, but it won't come loose by itself. It works like a nylon insert locknut.

R

·
0 Posts
I work in sales for a fastener distributor, and we sell a product called Vibra-tite. It is a user applied threadlocker, but is not a "superglue". You apply it to internal or external threads, let it set up, and it's like the factory applied threadlocker on the bolts you were talking about. I've used it for years, and have never had anything vibrate loose that I've used it on. Here's a link to their website: http://www.threadlockers.com/ Once applied, it will require a wrench to install the bolt or remove it, but it won't come loose by itself. It works like a nylon insert locknut.
I've used that at work, scuttlebutt was it cost $60.00 for a very small bottle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts