GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an idea for those of you that travel with a laptop computer. Get the service manual on disc. That way you can easily keep it with you when you travel. Mine goes in the CD case with my music.

Its a good Idea even if you don't travel with a laptop. Most chain hotels have a guest computer in the lobby now, a lot with printers, so you could print the page or two of information you need and take it out to the bike.

Hopefully you will never need it but its cheap insurance if you do.....

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've traveled thousands of miles with my laptop. I like to forecast the weather at night in the hotel, but hopefully my new Goldwing's NavWeather feature will replace that (haven't taken delivery of the bike yet). Anyone have experience with the NavWeather feature?

·
Crazy Northerner
8,614 Posts
Nope I take my wife.

·
Vendor
21,428 Posts
I've traveled thousands of miles with my laptop. I like to forecast the weather at night in the hotel, but hopefully my new Goldwing's NavWeather feature will replace that (haven't taken delivery of the bike yet). Anyone have experience with the NavWeather feature?
I have some screen shots of the weather screens here.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gpsweatherscreens

The resolution of the weather radar doesn't appear to be all that great. It should help you dodge the majority of bad weather, but I really wish the resolution was higher and that it could be animated to show movement. However, it does show cloud cover, which is nice. It's not up to par with what I get off my 376. I'll still carry my laptop with me and hit the weather sites at night.

If you are looking for a computer to carry on the bike, I would suggest you look at some of the new $350 NetBooks out, like the Acer One and the Asus and Lenova S10 etc.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I carry my laptop quite a bit...
That's a very good idea to carry the service manual on disc...I have the Honda maintenance disc,as well as Freds' DVDs...
I also check the weather,go on line for information,down load the pictures I had taken that day,watch movies,listen to Itunes library,and keep in touch with everyone
I pack HP dvs-1017nr Entertainment notebook PC

·
Registered
686 Posts
On my longer trips I send pics and notes home and to friends and family. I set up the email embeded with pics each night (keeps me out of the bars). When I get to a motel w/o free wifi I set my computer to hookup to the first available unsecured wifi and send the email so the next day I look for a motel with a free wifi sign next to a gas station. I leave my turned on computer in the truck while I pump gas and get a bottle of water and away goes the email (it also downloads my emails).

·
Registered
154 Posts
8 Gig Thumb Drive is plenty, takes up no room. These days everybody has a computer but if you have an emergency and can't find a computer, you can go to any office depot, office max or most Kinko's are open 24h and print what you need.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I went on eBay and bought a used Dell D400, inexpensive and works quite well...only use it for web surfing, gl1800 board and mapsource for gps....didn't load a lot of programs ans only use it for travel...have my Dell inspiron laptop and Dell desk for home....

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have carried a laptop for about 4 years now

a 15.4 inch toshiba

with a nice heavy sony vaio carry case

it fits snuggly in the trunk, no ill effects so far

i can bring along maint videos, i would only wreck something trying to fix it

i carry the roadside warranty card

dont leave home without it...........

·
Registered
159 Posts
For those of you that have the IPhone there is a application on Itunes App Store called Flash Drive. This allows you to move files from your computer to the IPhone for viewing. I transferred the Goldwing Manual in PDF format over to the phone. I still carry the laptop but only when towing my trailer. The application cost $5.99

Jeff

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
On short weekend trips I have my iPhone. On long trips I also carry a 13" Toshiba. I have it in a neopreen case and then in a small bag and it fits in the trunk and what with a few other things, it doesn't get to bounce around much.

An iPod could be used to carry the DVD's. You can load them into the iPod and watch them whenever you want. You need special software to convert the DVD to MP4 files for the iPod.

I carried a 15' in this saddlebag and it came out fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
we carry a asus eeepc small 8" screen - solid state (no moving Parts) slow start up but works great for banking or just keeping up with this group. I have had this one for 2 and 1/2 years. We bought it just for traveling,frist on the C50 then the wing.:yes1:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have taken mine, and have taken my one from work when I took the bike on a work related trip. I'm a little anal about padding it, so it takes up a bit of space the way I pack it, but it works okay. For me it's kind of like my tooth brush, I'd rather use my own, rather than someone else's, a character weakness I guess.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to bring my HP 14" work laptop with me to keep up on email when I travel. I use a neoprene sleeve to protect it since I need the trunk space because my wife like to ride with me. I have logged many miles this way and have never had any problems.

The only cool thing about having the laptop with me is that I can connect it to my phone and surf the Internet. It's handy for making hotel reservations from the middle of nowhere. I have even done it from hotel parking lots.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts