GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you call your neighbors and friends to talk about motorcycle stuff, then you might want to read this - part of a letter I'm sending to my state rep:

I want to make you aware of a phone scam for ESBI Voicemail. Our home phone is in my name. On July 18, 2007, my wife Sharon was on an unknown shopping website when an offer was included, not to her knowledge, for signing up for ESBI voicemail. I was tipped off by a neighbor who experienced exactly the same set of events. In both cases, ESBI claimed that our wives signed up for ESBI Voicemail for $12.95 a month. In our case, my wife never would have done this as we own an answering machine. The dollar change in a twelve page phone bill was so slight that I never noticed it. $271.95 plus tax had accumulated on my account over nineteen months.

ESBI could not confirm what website had made this offer. This amounts to deceptive practices, as neither myself nor my neighbor would have authorized this. Since Verizon has experienced many complaints this month, I believe that there are many people who are incurring this charge and do not know it.

Read all the pages of your phone bill! I am told that all charges will be refunded, so I should have free phone service for awhile...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Thanx for the heads up Jon... This is food for thought to ANYONE who ignorantly thinks that simple personal information can't be used against you.. All they needed was your phone number...

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/08/billing3.shtm

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
there are numerous semi scams like this

most are piggy backed with free or discounted offers

read the entire offer before you give info and sign up for anything

another good tip is to verify every bill, everytime

i know within a few cents what my bills should be

since all my bills are paid vis the net from my bank account, its very easy to track

if its more, then i get out the fine tooth comb and dig in

its up to you to protect yourself

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hmmm, I guess FIOS is a GOOD choice. My phone bill is identical EVERY month so any increase in charges and I'm all over the bill. Had that happen in January when I had an increase of $15.00 for a long distance service. My FIOS plan includes unlimited long distance (at least in the US - and I ain't calling anyone outside of the 48). I had to call the long distance bandit and they claimed I signed up for it. I told the lady she would have to try again since I made the decision for the current phone plan AND there is no reason when I have unlimited long distance I would ever sign up for another long distance company.

John, Verizon will send you a check for the balance over one month - something with PUC in PA that requires them to refund any credits over one month balance.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Even the phone companies are crooks. My wife has ATT and when she got a new phone they changed her plan from nationwide to a local calling area with out telling her or reducing the price. So when we got back from our next trip we had a $300 phone bill for roaming charges. ATT said the best they could do to help us was to split the bill. Now ain't that just peachy.:evil:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Even the phone companies are crooks. My wife has ATT and when she got a new phone they changed her plan from nationwide to a local calling area with out telling her or reducing the price. So when we got back from our next trip we had a $300 phone bill for roaming charges. ATT said the best they could do to help us was to split the bill. Now ain't that just peachy.:evil:
most likely that was the string attached to getting a nice new phone from them

sprint tried jamming us with a data plan, that we didnt order, they claimed the phone they gave us, had that as a requirement, i told them it was not what was agreed upon, and further i paid for the phones, they were not free ones, so there could be no requirements, phones are on ebay very reasonable like, with no contract and no strings.

cell phones have replaced long distance carriers as the #1 consumer issue for ripoffs.

remember the old chnage your long distance carrier when you were not looking trick??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts