GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my CB radio once, on a ride with the local GWRRA. We were all within a quarter mile of each other and it was nice to get reports on the road ahead and to know when the the last bike had passed a checkpoint. Other than that I have never been able to raise a single response from anyone while I was on the road. I ride by myself a lot and it would be nice to have someone to talk to as I ride. Does anyone other than GW’ers still use their CB?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't know if others besides Wingers use CB's on a consistent basis. I know that around these parts the water, gravel and sand haulers use the same channel that we Wingers around here use- channel 1. I do give a howdy do to any Wing that I see that has a cb antenna. But to get a response takes quite a few things. They need to actually have a cb on their Wing, they need to have that cb on, they need to have it on the same channel that I do (channel 1), they're mic needs to be functioning and they need to be willing to respond. Since that is a lot of needs, I usually only get a response about 1 out of 10 times. I do know that some of the long haul truckers still use channel 19 but not to the extent that they did in the 70's and 80's. And I very, very rarely switch over to 19 because I just don't like the foul language that's used there. :surprise:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I put a modern scanning CB in my truck when I started hauling my RV in 2011 or so. Dead quiet out there most of the time. It now sits on my top self in my little radio collection in my shop.

None of my riding buddies uses them so I have no interest in a CB for my bike.

I guess there time is gone.

The Jeep and off-road clubs use them.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
DMC (dynamic mesh) headsets are a game changer for groups of riders, although it doesn't help contact with random strangers.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My wife and I do. We ride separate GW’s. But, we typically use channel 37 or so. Never use channel 1 etc. We had these CBs installed long before Bluetooth became a thing. I suspect if we were setting up communication now we’d do BT as it’s much cheaper.

We tried BT on the GWs as we had other helmets with BT for riding KLRs but she found it too difficult trying to listen to music and talk at times fiddling with the dang thing on the side of her helmet. The CB is just much easier... and I agree.

But, it is a dying technology. As a kid, I had a CB base station in my room. Had a “handle” and a government issued call sign before they stopped doing that:

KXB 2639

Now I use it as a password here and there... times have changed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought an 09 a while ago and it has a CB. I tried to make it work once. And, I kept hitting the CB antenna getting to the trunk so I took it off. I was used to a GW w/o CB. Now, I'd just rather take it out completely and try to sell it. I can't find any de-install instructions. I know - just print out installation instructions and hold 'em upside down??

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
On rides at many meet and greats, my CB gets a lot of use. When out and about by myself, it stays off. When on solo trips years ago, I used to monitor Ch 19 and would occasionally talk to the truckers but usually shut it off in the cities because it was just a bicker fest. The last couple of years, Ch 19 has gotten real quiet. I think it's due to many trucks now being tracked by GPS along with electronic logs, and also smartphones, the CB has almost become obsolete to them. They are more likely going to travel at or near speed limits so little need for knowing where "Smokey Bear" is...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yes I use the CB on all of my rides. My wife has one on her Wings and so do all my riding buddies. We use channel 4 around town but use ch 1 when traveling.

Reactions: Tex-Ed

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Harley calls their CB Radio a "Bike-to-Bike Communications System" and I'd say that's pretty accurate. For communicating between bikes in a group, while it definitely has it's limitations, it's also pretty tough to beat.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I still use my CB quite a bit on PGR Missions, But like pwhoever said "Channel 19 has gotten real quiet the last few years" Although I have found a lot of local truckers and logging trucks in the more rural areas still use their CB's and can be fun to listen in on and talk to.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
On rides at many meet and greats, my CB gets a lot of use. When out and about by myself, it stays off. When on solo trips years ago, I used to monitor Ch 19 and would occasionally talk to the truckers but usually shut it off in the cities because it was just a bicker fest. The last couple of years, Ch 19 has gotten real quiet. I think it's due to many trucks now being tracked by GPS along with electronic logs, and also smartphones, the CB has almost become obsolete to them. They are more likely going to travel at or near speed limits so little need for knowing where "Smokey Bear" is...

So do the truckers just not talk to each other like they used to do? Or do they use another channel than CH 19? Or do they use another type radio? Or another type device?

A lot of questions but I too hear only local truckers at the ports using CB now.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Most of my rides are Ride To Eat (RTE) rides where I travel alone to the spot to meet up with fellow Florida Prowlers (they come in from other areas). Then I head back home after the meal...again by myself, so CB is not needed.

I do like it when riding with others that do have it though.

I am holding out and keeping mine on the bike for those rare group rides I might go on.

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, my partner and I use it when we ride together - most rides. As well as normal chat, on occasion it's got us back together after a navigation mistake. It's especially useful for this because often the roads are such that a telephone call can't be made and the distance between us is far too great for Bluetooth to be of use.

It's so useful we have it fitted to all our bikes.

We never use it for calling other road users though.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Most of us in our Chapter (100+ members) have a cb radio. How else can you communicate during a ride? We have organized rides EVERY weekend from April - October!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I still use my CB solo or with group rides. I many times are in areas that I have no cell phone coverage and the riders I do go with on group rides most have CBs. We not only use it for navigation but on historic rides it is nice to have a "guide" pointing out some of the interesting facts.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
In my club we use the CB all the time, between the ride leader, sweeps, & tail gunner.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In June - When we drove as a group from Chicago (Rt 66) to Santa Monica Pier we used CB's extensively.

Reactions: thecruiser

·
Registered
519 Posts
My wife and I do. We ride separate GW’s. But, we typically use channel 37 or so. Never use channel 1 etc. We had these CBs installed long before Bluetooth became a thing. I suspect if we were setting up communication now we’d do BT as it’s much cheaper.

We tried BT on the GWs as we had other helmets with BT for riding KLRs but she found it too difficult trying to listen to music and talk at times fiddling with the dang thing on the side of her helmet. The CB is just much easier... and I agree.

But, it is a dying technology. As a kid, I had a CB base station in my room. Had a “handle” and a government issued call sign before they stopped doing that:

KXB 2639

Now I use it as a password here and there... times have changed!
Yep. KDD 5972 I used it in my AMC Gremlin. Please don't judge me as others have about buying a new Gremlin. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I usually don't use the CB unless I am with the GW Chapter. I leave it on, but 99% of the time don't have anyone to talk to.
I think that is why the 2018's don't have the CB controls on it, since a lot of people don't use the CB and have Bluetooth systems to communicate with other riders in their group.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts