GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , I'm a new Winger. Out yesterday did my first 120 miles. Saw 2 bikes all day. At least I was not alone. 45 degrees and a bit of wind. Had on all my warm stuff. Bellstaff jacket, full helmet, warmer gloves. boots, chaps. Getting used to the new bike. Feels good. My biggest difference is the placement of the rear brake pedal. Take some getting used to.

I used to ride a cruiser. Suzuki VL800. That bike looked just like a Fat Boy. Full dresser. Sometimes even the HD guys thought it was a restored fat boy. On more then one ocasion they would make a comment , only for me to bust their bubble and tell them is a Suzi. Sometimes it was embarassing. Here I am on a 7000. bike and sitting next to me is a 20,000. hd. Everyone is looking at my bike. Had a friend wife give him a hard time for spending so much on the HD and she was totally uncomfortable and kept pointing out my co-riders perch how comfortable it was. What can I say to her. I helped him out and told her they are an investment. Anyhow...

I waved to everyone that passed me. If it had 2 or 3 wheels I waved. Even our local MC cop waves and I return the wave. He rides a Victory. Usually a low 5 does it. 95 % of the time I got a wave back. Sometimes them die hard older Harley guys waved back sometimes they didn't. The beemer guys had their own distintive wave sorty of a high five. The GW guys waved back too. Crotch rockets sometimes wave if you iniatiate it first. Usually a high five or peace sign. Even got a few peace signs minus one a several occasions.

I guess riding is becoming a bit more main steam and that HD mean ass, look is not the look. Now you can buy that look in the department stores not just the bike shop. Look at the tv shows out now. Them older HD guys must be going crazy. The new riders are giving them a good name... Ha ha

Well yeterday neighter biker waved back. Do you wave or not or were they just cold or new to riding or holding on for dear life. What have you noticed. If you do wave, does it get returned. Are we socially acceptable or do HD guys just not go there. Are we against everything they hold dear. You know like value for the dollar, proformance, comfort, speed, dependability, engineering. We certainly not a look alike.

Are we socially acceptable to an american made crowd or just in a different league altogether. I'm not HD bashing and hardly care if we are acceptable to them or not.

What do you think.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Several weeks ago a big, burly "hells angel look-a-like" walked into the HONDA, Yamaha, HD shop here in town.
I was standing near the door so I said "how ya doing".
His response was " I usually won't come in a store that sells foreign made rice burners". He was not kidding!
"Me neither" I Said. "My wing was made in OHIO!!!"
I doubt that SOB would wave at his own mother.
Most (98% ++) bikes that I meet here on Texas roads wave.

Proud to be waiving, Mike

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Wave

I always wave!! I just love being out there on the bike and I want everyone to know that I am one happy and friendly guy. If they don't wave back, they don't know what they are missing.

Here in Colorado, a lot of the Harley guys don't wave back. I don't understand it, but I guess they think they are riding a superior machine -- sure, we know that to be the truth. The crochrock guys almost always give a low-5 and I often do the same with them. One day coming down from Deckers to Woodland Park (wonderful twisties) I caught up with a couple of rockets and stayed right with them. After the ride and I was breaking off, they gave me a high-5. Felt pretty good. Then I came home and changed my pants -- had really pushed it that day, but it sure was fun! Don't do that very often -- normally just ride to enjoy it all.

Wave -- you'll always enjoy it!

·
Vendor
22,232 Posts
I have been riding for a lot of years/miles now and this topic always amazes me.

First of all, there are tons more bikes on the road now than ever before. Back in the 70's and 80's everyone waved, because you didn't see another biker very often. Now days, if I waved at every bike that went by, my arm would be sore by the end of the ride.

Also, back in the mid 90's Harley riders made it a practice not to wave at anyone on a Japenesse made bike. In return, guys on sport bikes began not waving to Harley riders. The war was on. BMW riders also tended to snub their nose occasionally at other non-BMW riders, and so did some Gold Wing owners. Iron Butt and long distance riders sometimes seem far to serious of a rider to bother with waving all the time at anyone on 2 wheels (myself included). And then there is the helmet issue. I personally refuse to wave at anyone not wearing a helmet, but that's just me.

I am always amazed when I hear someone say, "no body waved at me all day" or some such nonsense. Get over it. I simply am growing tired of waving at everyone on two wheels and I have far too much to keep my mind focused on than waving. I also am growing just a wee bit ornery in my old age (43) and am tired of all this waving anyway. Why do I feel the need to wave at a complete stranger anyway? Just because he/she is on a motorcycle, does that automatically mean they are my friend and that I need to wave at them like I know them? When I get in a boat or on an airplane, does that mean I should wave at everyone else in a boat or on an airplane too? If I am at a resturant having Surf and Turf and I see someone else eating steak and lobster too, should I go over and introduce myself, or maybe wave at them from across the room (maybe they will pick up my check if I do).

I guess I have more questions than answers about this waving tradition, but I can tell you that I wave at very few riders anymore. I guess I am just growing tired of it all and I just want to enjoy my ride. Does that make me a grouch or does it just mean that I have "outgrown" this phase in my riding career?

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's not the brand, it's the rider. I've ridden with a lot of other brand name bikes, and as I recall we all enjoyed the same road and all dodged the same kind of idiot cagers! It's a friendly greeting, that's all. Just be glad it's so easy to stay ahead of them, because the oil mist coming off their bikes is a real b!tch to clean!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I always wave at everyone, most of the time first. I have asked some of the same questions to myself that you spoke about. I don't know what it is about some Harley riders. Sometimes the most hard core looking ones wave and the big dressers don't. What I find interesting is that Harley riders give you a low five, BMW's sometimes give you a nod, maybe it's because their full leather suits are to tight. I have yet to find a GWR rider that will not wave. Your obversations are interesting and I am sure we have all thought about them. I was at Hog Rock last year and found everone to be very outgoing and some of the ladies were a little more than that if you know what I mean :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fred H. said:
Does that make me a grouch or does it just mean that I have "outgrown" this phase in my riding career?
Fred,
You're a grouch!! :a13:

I was at everyone. Don't know why... just feels like the right thing to do. If they don't wave back, no worries...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fred H. said:
And then there is the helmet issue. I personally refuse to wave at anyone not wearing a helmet,....I simply am growing tired of waving at everyone on two wheels and I have far too much to keep my mind focused on than waving. I also am growing just a wee bit ornery in my old age (43) and am tired of all this waving anyway. Why do I feel the need to wave at a complete stranger anyway? Just because he/she is on a motorcycle, does that automatically mean they are my friend and that I need to wave at them like I know them?

Deep Breath, ok, exhale, one more time there Fred, Deeeeep Breath....

You meet the nicest people on a Honda

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
A lot depends on my mood for the moment. Also the driving conditions play a big part in whether I wave or not.

If someone waves to me first, I almost always return the salutation. If they don't wave first, it is anybodies guess if I will wave or not.

Not so many years ago, when you saw another bike on the road, it was a big deal and you felt some sort of kinship with that rider. Today, there are bikes everywhere, and more being bought every year. The roads are saturated with bikes. I guess my point is, I prefer to tend to my driving and not so worried if I wave or get waved at.

Bulldog

·
Registered
190 Posts
This thread reminded me of a day that I had gone to the local HD dealership wearing a different make T-shirt.

As I was leaving the store I came across another customer entering who seeing me became a little irate and said:

“Hey you go a lot of balls coming to our store wearing that shirt”. I replied “You know I also piss them off by wearing my Harley T-shirt when I go to their dealership to get spares”.

This brand obsession is fairly common among riders; in fact I have found BMW guys to be the worst. Maybe I should get a Wing shirt made up with the logo “I ride the real thing not the wannabe” and go to BMW K1200LT rides. :lol:

No mater what brand of bike I ride or have been riding, I always wave to other motorcyclists and most of the time received acknowledgement... Motor-cops seem to be the ones most reluctant to wave back but a few do.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Archie Bunker of Motorcycling

THE WAVE Author unknown. (NOT ME)

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while your at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why they don't spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over
at me and you know what I do? I don't wave I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from
me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wave, generally. It all depends on whether I have my hands full or not. But most generally, I wave. It doesn't cost anything. If my arm is sore at the end of the day, then that's a good thing. I don't concern myself as to whether or not the other biker waved or not, as he may have his hands full at the moment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Deepfeet, I've been riding for a good number of years (about twenty one), and I've ridden over seas (Germany) and obviously back here in the states for the most part. Waving is sort of like the weather to me. It depends on where you are on the road to what state or country you are in.

Speaking of the true to heart HD guys and gals, they hardly wave at each other if you ever noticed. So my rule concerning them would be wave if they wave first. If I get no wave neither do they (no harm no foul). The crotch rockets same thing for me. They normally wave because they see themselves riding a GL1800 in the future they just don't know it yet.

A winger I will wave at in a heart beat just because I know they appreciate riding and their machine. When my wife is on the back she just waves at everyone. Cars, bikes, trucks everyone. Hey if that is what she wants to do then I let her enjoy life while we are on the road.

I suppose it all depends on you the rider. I have yet to have someone turn around and track me down for not waving. But if you are ever in SC and you see the Blk Warrior and you don't wave (being on a Wing), you may see me in your mirror tracking you down! Always wave at the wing, it is a good rule of thumb. Happy riding and be safe.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As long as conditions (traffic, road conditions etc) don't warrant both hands and eyes focused on the moment, I always throw the low 5. There are some that don't wave back, I don't give it a second thought, they could have been looking at something else, zoned out enjoying the ride or don't want to.

I relate it to this board, while I have no 'close' or personal friends on this board..yet. I do consider this a community of friends with a shared interest in a great pasttime which I share by posting questions and answers. A community that the majority of the public has no interest, ignorant or too intimidated to become involved with. If no one waved (posted) what would you get out of this board?

I actually noticed more wingers not waving back than others last year. Maybe I just noticed the wings? We'll see what happens this year while I'm on my own wing for the first time, which brings up a question. Since this is my first wing, where's that damm 'wave' button anyway?

G

·
I agree back in the 70's everyone waved but most motorcyclists were driving Honda's, Suz or Yam. Harley was down to 1% of the bike market and were making absolute junk and AMF was doing the bail out. I know as I worked for a Harley shop as a mechanic at the time. Back then the tough HD image was real , the HD guys different cats to be sure. Even back then many HD parts were made in Japan - inner tubes were Yokahama, instruments, batteries etc.
Now things are different HD is fashion gone wild. It is the ultimate status symbol to own a Harley - you don't need to drive it just show it. There is more focus on clothing and making the "statement" than value, comfort and reliability.
Being a non-conformist I never rode a Honda back in the 70's in fact I never owned a Honda prior to 2001 when I bought my 1500. I should have been riding a Harley then and did own an XR750 for a couple days but even I wasn't stupid enough to stick with it. I rode mostly Yamaha's road and dirt - still waving and smiling.
Right now I normally wave but it they don't wave back it's no big deal. I don't wave at cars and they don't wave back so it's not much different.
I think nothing of jumping on my 1800 and driving 300 miles from home all by myself. I don't worry about mechanical problems and baring some sort of accident I am sure I will be home for supper. Even today I would not feel that way with a Harley - They are good but don't compare.
I felt this way with all my Yamaha's and I never did break down on any of the 7 Yamaha's and 2 Honda's I have owned - Conversely the Triumphs, Harley and Norton's were not to be trusted.
Back in 1975 my wife and I tented our way to Yellowstone and back - on a 500 Yamaha twin. 3000 miles - never a problem didn't even have to add oil. 50 miles to the gallon when gas was 30 cents made it cheap fun.
Not bad for a " Rice burner "
On that trip everyone waved and we waved back after all we were of the LOVE generation. :wink:
Yes we had flower power :caesar:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fred is not a grouch. The safest place for your hands is on the handlebars. Yes, I occasionally wave...usually if I am in the middle of nowhere or passing or being passed on a lonely road.
It amazes me that so many riders of all makes of bikes will take their hand off the grip while leaning into a curve.

BTW, I also drive a Chevy pu and I don't wave @ other drivers of like vehicles.

And also, BTW, I have sensed more animosity towards Harley riders on this board then I have experienced from Harley riders when on my Wing. As a former exclusive Harley rider and presently an occasional Harley rider I think they're a bunch of good people generally speaking. And one advantage that Harley riders definitely have is a much greater choice of cool T-Shirts to wear than we do.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
When I am riding my bike I am usually a pretty happy guy. I wave at most everyone as I do not live in an area where there are bikes everywhere. So it is nice to wave to a fellow rider, when you see them out hopefully having as much fun as I am. Most riders do wave back, even the Harley guys. I live in Virginia now and think overall the people here are very friendly. I have lived in other areas where the weather was colder and so were the people. I lived in a northern state without a helmet law and I swear there was a more hardcore attitude there and people definitely did not wave as much. Here it is warmer and life is not as harsh. Hmmmmmmmmmm think there is a correlation? :roll:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I try to wave to all bikes. It used to bother me if others rode with their noses up but now realize they're the losers. If I was riding so fast I couldn't take a hand off to wave I would slow down.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
there are 2 ways to go through life, being friendly and waving to everyone or being mean and waving with one finger to everyone. I like being the first one.

The folks I REALLY like to wave at: Harley folks under a bridge during a rain storm, I'll even hit the horn a couple of times and then wave as I go past at 70 MPH :D :D :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wave depending on mood and how the other guy is riding. If he's all strapped up with gear, obviously doing more than the occasional afternoon jaunt, I make sure I send a wave their way. I can take or leave the posers.

But if I'm in a good mood, even the moped riders get a hearty greeting. :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts