GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO YOU WEAR A SAFETY VEST[sun glow orange with reflective tape] when you ride your gl1800 ? i have a S.V. that i have to wear at work. I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF MC RIDERS WEARING THEM . :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
No

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
My good riding buddy has a YELLOW Wing..... I don't think he needs a safety vest!!!!! I have to turn up the CB volume because the color is so loud!:22yikes:
I don't wear one! However I do agree that the more visible you are, the better you are apt to be seen.:thumbup:
A friend is a Cal-Trans worker and he says he thinks people steer at the Vest's!:shrug: I wish people would take driving seriously.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Most folks that I have seen wearing them in Atlanta are on scooters.

:biker:

The others are road workers for the Department of Transportation, and they have not been helped by wearing them because drivers tend to hit them. I guess it goes back to what the instructors told us in the motorcycle training class. The bike will automaticly go where you are looking. Apparently the same goes for drivers in cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I keep one in the truck in case I get caught out riding when conditions turn ugly like nearing dusk and raining.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I pack one with me. On most journeys I visit a military museum or two.
These museums are sometimes on active bases. The base rules ask riders to wear Hi-Vis, so, the vest comes in handy.
I am sure there will be contradiction on this site, but this is MY use for a Hi-Vis vest. ..............Don

·
Registered
355 Posts
SV

NO... I dont wear a life jacket when on a boat either though. Odds are with me I think anyway...

The ones I have seen are a bright flourescent color and they would clash with my navy crocs...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hey, dark-thirty or poor weather visibility they are probably hard to beat. Most also have big reflective striping that can't hurt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wear one when I am going to work.... required on the Arsenal... otherwise, no...

·
Registered
724 Posts
I wear either a safety green shirt and/or a vest during races but not when just riding. Even with strobes flashing, the vest, headlights on bright, and driving lights on the motorist who is distracted doesnt see you. I had a woman push me up against a barrier during a race and she told the police she never saw nor heard the Wing. He ticketed her. We never touched but she was absolutely clueless she was in the middle of a bicycle race with 900 racers. "Gee mom look at all the skinny people in their underwear!"

I am switching to a safety shirt for this season (see link below) so I can look spiffy :roll:.

The safety green vests and jackets have become the new black leather as Harley even has a line of safety green clothing.

http://www.embroidered-uniforms-corporate-apparel.com/litefx-lime-yellow-safety-short-sleeve-work-shirt-ss24hv-p-14906.html

·
Registered
264 Posts
No. I chose metallic red because I felt it was it was more visible and installed fog/running lights and installed the rear spoiler. All to be more visible.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yes, every time I ride. A green hi-vis with reflective stripes. Got it from Harbor Fright for $6. I stand out like a sore thumb, and get stares from a lot of folks, so I know it works. I also bought a mesh one for summer for the same price.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wear a bright neon yellow riding jacket.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Safety Vest

Na, I dont wear no safety vest when I ride!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't have a choice if your DOD, I wear the Mil Spec Icon Vest, it's worth the money and you don't look like a construction worker:lol:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
:eek:4:no

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How visible is your SV when viewed from the front or back? Or for that matter, you're moving at ?mph... Personally I don't think they make a bit of difference. However, the amount of lights you have might make a lot more difference...

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Na, I dont wear no safety vest when I ride!!

Now that suit around here would get the traffic front and back of you to pull over................LOL.

I love it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts