GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Route Planned at 509 miles - easily done on the slab, but this doesn't have much slab -

Leave KOA Nashvill - ride South thorugh Mufreesbourough via I-24 then pick up the Shelbyville Pike down to the Jack Daniels Distillery for a tour then 55 East past McMinville connecting to 111 and finally onto I-40 E. for a ways to the Winfield Dunn Parkway through Sieraville and then continuing on the Telco Plains Loop back to the Townsend KOA.

It's currently planned on being a Sunday in Mid June...

How many hours should I plan for?

Thanks &

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
did you factor in the tour time, eat time????
I don't think I would plan a 500+ ride with a tour thrown in for one day.....

We have toured JD...it was very interesting.....white horse saloon was cool too

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
500 miles on back roads? are you nuts?:wrong::joke::eek:4::doorag:

·
Registered
115 Posts
That would be a long day. The tour at JD takes a couple of hours, plus it sounds like you are camping and it always takes me a while to break and make camp. There are so many good riding roads in that area, I would plan on two days and be able to see the sites.

Just my opinion

Shep

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Methinks it all hinges on the distillery thingy.
:agree::lol::lol:

Yep, at least two days. I did 400 today and only stopped for lunch and a couple of gas stops. 8am to 5pm. And, if there are LEOs reading this, I never got over the speed limit.;)

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Jim first you will need more than one day. Do you have a reason for going to Sevierville? If not there a much better way to get to Townsend KOA plus there is a nice new KOA in Tellico Plains right on the river at entrance to the Cherohala. Would be glad to help you plan a route if you want. :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
With the tour this will likely take more than 5 hours. I have been on these roads, since I live about an hour from the distillery. Watch your speed, especially on 55 east toward McMinnville. You can get a ticket for less than 5 mph over. Beautiful scenery and some nice curves here and there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim first you will need more than one day. Do you have a reason for going to Sevierville? If not there a much better way to get to Townsend KOA plus there is a nice new KOA in Tellico Plains right on the river at entrance to the Cherohala. Would be glad to help you plan a route if you want. :thumbup:
Well, the plan is still in a state of Flux (Obviously), the thought was that I needed to make as much 'good' time while making use of the slab's to get between the 'regions' I wanted to travel, then using secondary highways once in the area was how I came up with the current route. So, no, I had no specific reason for going to Sierraville other than it happend to be on the highway I chose to travel from off of I-40. (Trying to avoid anymore freeway than was necessary).

Can send you a couple of screen captures of the route if that would help. I don't mind spending the night in Knoxville and continuing a second day - just thought I might try it all in one....

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Jim what was your plan after Townsend? I will give a route to think about after i find out where you are going from here.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim what was your plan after Townsend? I will give a route to think about after i find out where you are going from here.
Well, Thanks! - I guess it's only fair to tell you that this is going to be about a 70+ day ride and will encompass a little over 25,000 miles, so, the day after I arrive in Townsend I'm heading through the Rocky Mt. National Park - with a stop at the Biltmore and eventually meandering my way into Atlanta. I'm doing a lot of criss crossing of some of the states so the most direct route isn't always possible when speaking of a specific sight. But I'm always interested in hearing about my options.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Well, Thanks! - I guess it's only fair to tell you that this is going to be about a 70+ day ride and will encompass a little over 25,000 miles, so, the day after I arrive in Townsend I'm heading through the Rocky Mt. National Park - with a stop at the Biltmore and eventually meandering my way into Atlanta. I'm doing a lot of criss crossing of some of the states so the most direct route isn't always possible when speaking of a specific sight. But I'm always interested in hearing about my options.

Cheers!

Now that would be a long single day ride. Rocky Mountain NP is in Colorodo. Smoky Mountain NP is in TN.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that would be a long single day ride. Rocky Mountain NP is in Colorodo. Smoky Mountain NP is in TN.
:agree: :agree: OOOOOPPPS -- Can't be watching television and responding to board messages at the same time - -You should see me walk and chew gum at the same time :eek:4:.

Cheers!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't know your riding style but this could be done in a full day. I left Macon, GA up to Look-Out Mountain for some snooping. Ran into lots of folks so I scooted over to Shiloh battlefield along the hwy that connects, basically East Tn to West Tn. Did a long break probably 3 hours. Then left to and got in Little Rock. Left around 7 AM and arrived 8:30 PM. Stayed the limit on the backroads but followed the traffic pattern on I40. All this on my old crappy Harley. With the Wing, I make somewhat regular runs to the east coast of Florida in one day to hang with a buddy and maybe fish.

Again depends on riding style.
Bobalou

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Jim heres my .02 for what its worth:cool: After your visit to Jack Daniels go thur Mcminnville on hwy 70s to hwy30 turn right. Stay on hwy 30 thur Athens to hwy39 T/L. Hwy 30 is a great ride and Fall Creek Falls is worth a visit and a good place to at the lodge. <ck meal times> Take hwy39 to hwy 68 T/R to hwy 165 and Tellico Plains. I would stay at the KOA in Tellico Plains on the left on hwy 360. Then ride 165 the Cherohala to Robbinsville NC. From Ribbinsville go to Cherokee NC and pickup the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Biltmore. I think you will like this route.

PS If you want to stay at KOA in Townsend take hwy 360 to Vonore hwy 411 T/R go to Hwy72 T/R go to hwy 129 T/R then go hwy 321 T/R to Townsend. When you find out what days you will be in this part of the country give me a shout 865-988-8498.:thumbup:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you will like this route.

PS If you want to stay at KOA in Townsend take hwy 360 to Vonore hwy 411 T/R go to Hwy72 T/R go to hwy 129 T/R then go hwy 321 T/R to Townsend...:thumbup:

Humm -- I don't have my routing software up at the moment, but it appears that you are suggesting that I bypass Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg and the ride through Smokey Mountains Nat'l Park?? I've been through the park b4 so I don't mind skipping it for a better route (However I'm a sucker for tourist traps (Pigeon Forge???)... Am I close to your thinking?

Thanks!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
:agree::lol::lol:

Yep, at least two days. I did 400 today and only stopped for lunch and a couple of gas stops. 8am to 5pm. And, if there are LEOs reading this, I never got over the speed limit.;)

Yep....sure you didn't......not until you shifted to about third anyway!!!:shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts