GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc gave me some bad news. For some time I have been having problems with my arms and legs going numb. I have been in and out of the hospital for tests for the last month. I was informed I have a herniated disc in my neck that is pinching off my spinal cord that requires surgery to fix it. My summer is pretty much shot for riding. My friend and I was scheduled to go out to West Yellowstone the last two weeks of August. All that has gone down the drain. Now I am waiting for the phone call to tell me when I go in for surgery. Talk about being bummed out. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and it's up to you to hit it back. I just hope that the Doc doesn't slip with the scalpel and leave me paralyzed from the neck down.:-(

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not the sort of news any of us want to hear, moneypit. Yeah, life does throw you curves sometimes, but I try to keep coming back to the idea that life doesn't throw anything at you that you aren't prepared to handle. Not wanting to handle it isn't the same. :cool:
Hang in there. Hope all goes well with the surgery and you'll be back on the bike after some healing time.
OB

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:thumbup:You''ll come through this feeling better than ever. I had a similar surgery on my lower back, rode a 46 mile cross country race 90 days after the surgery. Dr told me it would be a 90 day recovery, he was right. Depends on the age of the patient probably, I was only 46 then, 21 years ago. Might take awhile longer at this age. My father-in-law always told me to
"keep your p*cker up" to keep the spirits up.
Good Luck with the surgery, RIDE ON.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yea that's gotta suck, However it could always be worse, I HAD a uncle that had the same symptoms as yours but his outcome was much worse!
Come to find out he had ALS otherwise known as Lue Gehrig's (not sure if that is how spell his name?)
Anyhow your problem is repairable where his was not!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Wishing you best of success with the surgery and recovery.
Just try to be patient and follow the instructions of the medical professionals, and do the P.T.

When my 2 year old daughter had heart surgery -- 35 years ago -- everyone said stuff like "It's amazing what they can do with surgery now days." And they were right. Even more so now.
You'll do fine. Just don't go towards the light! :joke:

You'll be on the road before you know it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
You will be glad you had the surgery and get back to normal, just do exactly as the doctor tells you and your rehab will be fine. Just don't do anything to early. See if he will prescribe you a bone stimulater, it helps everthing heal up faster. Good luck.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Sorry to here your riding season is over. But maybe next year will be a fantastic riding year with feeling everywhere!:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts