GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take a GPS off the bike and use it in my car during a Minnesota winter, will it work ok? Are they designed for the cold?

Or do you have to take it inside when you park for awhile?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
tourman said:
If I take a GPS off the bike and use it in my car during a Minnesota winter, will it work ok? Are they designed for the cold?
If you have a particular unit, take a look at its specs...some seem to be rated for about freezing and others well below that.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
All LCDs will have reduced performance when they are cold, simply because the 'crystals' in the liquid take longer to align because of the temperature.

Inside a car, you shouldn't have any problems once you get the interior warmed up a bit.

I've run the iWay around 30 degrees without any problems - when the LCD is set to maximum brightness, it helps warm it up pretty quickly (from the inside).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
GPS

I rode my wing to work last winter several times in the 20s my 2720 worked fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bring my Garmin 2820 inside during the winter months and just install it anytime I am going to ride which only takes less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Since I've had my zumo 550 it's been in the 20s everyday. I have no trouble with mine and I leave it on the bike in the garage overnight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think it is a sporadic problem and that there are a certain percentage of these units that have the condensation problem but when I called Garmin they said that they were aware of the problem so there must have been alot of returns due to this problem of condensation.

If you haven't had it yet don't feel secure that you won't get it as I did not have it for about 2 or 3 months and then it showed up when it first got cold. Your unit may never have this problem as you may be in the lucky percentage that never gets it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts