GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that under the following circumstances I can out corner a car all the time:

1. Paved or black top road
  2. Dry road
  3. Smooth road (not bumpy or full of holes)
  4. No sand or gravel on the road
I base this on following many cars into corners and always knowing that I can go even faster on my Wing than the car does even when I've seen them slide.

Do all of you agree with that assessment?

What got me to thinking about it is I had my first ride in a Lotus today and I've got to say that thing could corner. I've never ridden my wing around a car like that.

As a side note I think I can out stop a car under the same conditions.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
So many factors come into play, there's no way to say for sure. Depends on the type of bike, the type of car and perhaps most critically . . . the driver of either!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I think you've made an accurate assessment and a Wing is a lot more fun.

2W

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Car Versus Bike

I don't know about you, but I can corner faster in a car. Why? A car isn't really "cornering" till the tires are sliding at least 10%. I'm not interested in trying that on my Gold Wing.

The British show "Top Gear" has also tried this a couple time and I'm pretty sure the cars won both match ups. Search YouTube and you'll find a few of these? I saw at least one where the BMW S1000RR beat a Beemer coupe.

Fun stuff to think about.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I can run my truck juat as hard as I can run my wing through the onramp and off ramp sloloms. Truck is a 2000 chevy ext cab z71 with the sportside bed. I can easily take the ramps at 65-70 in and on either ride. The truck has never slid on me but it damn sure puts the g force type pressure on the driver. The wing is down hard dragging the pegs. I could probably push either one a tad harder but then again I could probably crash either or both.

But I have never followed a car through any of these that I was not trying to mentally push them out of the way so I could enjoy the ride a tad more.

Only once have I had a bike that was able to keep up with me through the onramp and never the off ramp I hit. Most folks back out as soon as I dive in and start gring parts. But about 2 weeks ago as I was gettting onto the interstate acceleration ramp a youngster on a 600 sport bike was all over my ass all the way through, it was pretty exhilerating to be down into it dragging hard and this kid was full on in my mirrors. Just wish it were my kid riding like that:thumbup: Well he does get his drivers license next week and is set to take the MSF course in september so..... this ile man can always hope:yes1:

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
927 Posts
I believe that under the following circumstances I can out corner a car all the time:

1. Paved or black top road
  2. Dry road
  3. Smooth road (not bumpy or full of holes)
  4. No sand or gravel on the road
I base this on following many cars into corners and always knowing that I can go even faster on my Wing that the car does even when I've seen them slide.

Do all of you agree with that assessment?

What got me to thinking about it is I had my first ride in a Lotus today and I've got to say that thing could corner. I've never ridden my wing around a car like that.

As a side note I think I can out stop a car under the same conditions.
An ordinary car? Probably not, given equal skill at the controls.

A good sports car? No way. The mags have tested good sports bikes against good sports cars. The sports bikes out accelerate the cars by a million miles, but they lose it all, and more, under braking and in the corners.

That's with a good sport bike, which will eat a GL1800 for lunch. The miracle is that a 900 pound touring bike is decent, but it can't touch a 400 pound sportbike with better suspension and bigger tires.

Here's an example. They talk a lot about brakes, but the car, a Nissan GTR, is clearly faster through the corners also. The GL1800 couldn't stay with the GTR down the straight, the GTR can do 11 second quarter miles. Swap a GL1800 for the Ducati, and a Toyota Camry for the Nissan GTR, I think it would come out about the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Man0X0bf8vk

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Sorry guys, but a decent sports car will out corner even a sport bike. There are many videos out there comparing lap times of fast cars and fast motorcycles. In most cases the motorcycles are faster through the straights, but a car will turn in faster lap times due carrying more speed through the curves as well as braking better than a bike.

BTW, I frequently run the same curves in my Z06 Corvette as I do on both my Concours and Goldwing. I corner faster in the Corvette than I do on the Concours even when I'm scraping the pegs.

EDIT- Tryker, you and I were posting at the same time - good video!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Miata will eat bikes like they were a salty snack on the twisties. The bikes may keep up on the straight away but Ill take em in the curves every time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My Miata will eat bikes like they were a salty snack on the twisties. The bikes may keep up on the straight away but Ill take em in the curves every time.
Damn you just stole my thunder. I picker up a MazdaSpeed MX-5 last week, man this thing just eats the corners and spits them out.
The car does not feel like it is even coming close to losing traction while pushing it through the corners.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not so sure about braking more quickly either. I have ABS, but I know I could stop more quickly if I didn't have it (yes, by locking it up and controlling the slide). There's been a few times I've had to head for the emergency lane because of Northern Virginia's heavy traffic stopping so suddenly.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Oh and I should have said, no a 'Wing will not out corner or out brake most cars.

But a sportsbike, that's a different story......

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
and to follow up: The short answer is...no.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I'm not so sure about braking more quickly either. I have ABS, but I know I could stop more quickly if I didn't have it (yes, by locking it up and controlling the slide). There's been a few times I've had to head for the emergency lane because of Northern Virginia's heavy traffic stopping so suddenly.
You really believe that?:shrug:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Oh and I should have said, no a 'Wing will not out corner or out brake most cars.

But a sportsbike, that's a different story......
Didn't you watch the video? There have been many such videos and they all end the same.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts