GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a gallon of Honda antifreeze when I bought my Goldwing in 2002 because after checking the fluids, the coolant was low. Added a little.

The dealer serviced it in 2004 and changed the coolant. Again it was a little low. Added more.

Now I'm going to do the change myself. Is my almost-full, already-been-opened, 4-yr-old jug of antifreeze still good?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Mine is almost six years old and has never been changed, over 200,000 miles on it and it still works for me 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If too old, it lets the ice melt in the martini.......

·
Registered
17,123 Posts
I do not htink there is significant shelf life deterioration with ethelene glycol and its common anti-corrosion additives. If its the pre-mix, I would be a bit more leary, but even at that its likey OK since teh water used is distilled.

I think Tom is on very thin ice with his 200,000+ mile service life on OE coolent. The additive package wwas surely depleated long ago and those tiny passages in the radiator, block, and heads could be as narrow as hs arteries. I think you can get test strips to check the conditon of the additives and I think there are coolent hygrometers for testing freeze/boil protestion.

prs

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
To see if it's still good pour a little into a hub cap (or pan) and let the cat drink it. If the cat dies then then it's still good to use.

That's how I test it anyway :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts